Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-15-2023, 04:00 PM   #1
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I installed matte PPF over the hood wrap

Professional quote $600.
Diy with film and tools $150

I've always had clear gloss PPF on my front clip but have not protected the black matte vinyl hood wrap. After watching a handful of YouTube videos I decided to buy a bulk roll of matte PPF and wrap the hood myself.

It took me probably 2 hours total. Had a friend help cut and position the 6ft x 6ft film. I used a generous amount of slip solution (baby soap and water) in a large volume spray container both on the hood and adhesive side of the film. Visually I divided the hood into four sections. I would remove the backing paper off of one section at a time, spray more slip solution, lay the film down, squeegee out air and water, inspect and then move on to the next quarter. A few imperfections found their way into the film here and there but I caught them before moving on to the next section so all I had to do was lift, reapply slip and squeegee.

I left a half inch lip all the way around the edge of the hood and when I was done I folded that edge over and tacked it down on the underside of the hood. I then went around and trimmed the excess leaving a quarter inch. Using a heat gun to help the film secure around the edge was extremely helpful. I also recommend wearing a glove because it helps you to form the film to the edge radius easier.

While I don't recommend putting ppf on the front bumper as a novice I do recommend wrapping the hood. On a difficulty scale of 1 to 5 I would say this was a 2. For comparison I would say the difficulty rating of wrapping the front bumper is a 10. Ask me how I know. Lol.

I purchased the matte ppf in a 6 ft by 15 ft bulk roll off of eBay. The reason I purchased such a big role is because my roof is also black matte and at some point I may protect that as well. The glove and squeegees were purchased off of Amazon.

Final note.
There will be small pockets (dime size or less) of water you may miss. There may also be hazyness or squeegee marks. It will look terrible and you will freak out wondering if you should take it all off and start over. Relax. These will go away. PPF is porous and 99% will dissipate in time. Leave the car out to bake on a nice sunny day and by nightfall you'll struggle to find what you were freaking out about. Any bubbles or pockets that develop or persist can be gently pierced with a diabetic needle. Use a squeegee to push out the water or air. Done!
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #2
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
I did the same thing on my ‘18 1LE when it was new. So all the black surfaces on the car would match, we also satin PPF’d the front splitter, rockers, mirrors and rear spoiler - looked great!

You’re right about the front bumper cover - it’s not a DIY job.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 04:08 PM   #3
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Nice job, I recommend doing headlights also if not done, mine are done with the clear
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 04:10 PM   #4
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Nice job, I'll probably have to re-wrap my hood soon, my car has taken too many hits on the track from rubber and it's starting to look worn.

I'll give it a shot doing it myself, doesn't look horrible to do. Is there a specific how-to video you recommend?
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 04:14 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
NICE WORK!!!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 04:32 PM   #6
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
I did the same thing on my ‘18 1LE when it was new. So all the black surfaces on the car would match, we also satin PPF’d the front splitter, rockers, mirrors and rear spoiler - looked great!
You’re right about the front bumper cover - it’s not a DIY job.
I also did the side skirts and splitter. That was a pain in the ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Nice job, I recommend doing headlights also if not done, mine are done with the clear
I did do the headlights a couple years ago. Really protects the housing nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Nice job, I'll probably have to re-wrap my hood soon, my car has taken too many hits on the track from rubber and it's starting to look worn.

I'll give it a shot doing it myself, doesn't look horrible to do. Is there a specific how-to video you recommend?
I found a lot of these videos to be helpful. I also watched the videos on 1.5 speed or two. Helps make the talking a little less painless. I also do track. Which was the main motivator for doing this. You're right it's absolutely hell on the paint and wrap.

https://www.youtube.com/@DriveProtected

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 06:37 PM   #7
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I installed a lot of PPF on my car, the front end was a PITA, took me 8 hours. I could probably do it in 4 or 5 now, but not a good car to do as your first PPF job. I did bikes before it, the small pieces make that easy.

I tried to re-vinyl my hood but the vinyl tore, it was a bit too cold I guess. That sucked. Going with matte PPF instead, no vinyl. Car is nightfall grey (dark grey metallic), I think the matte finish on the hood will make for a nice contrast and it'll protect the hood better. Also installing more functional hood louvers in place of the OEM ones. Going to get it done tomorrow!