Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-17-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
Tha_Infamous_E

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Best NA Build?

I was thinking of slapping on top-model Headers, Camshafts, and Intake Manifold to put some more power into the whip, but was wondering if there's any additional suggestions I should consider for a naturally aspirated build? I figured installing supercharger/turbo is too much of a hassle unless I'm mistaken - any tips on the best build without going too overboard with installations and what-not?
Tha_Infamous_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #2
jaybee924

Drives: R.I.P. 2021 ZL1 & 2019 Rd Garn 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Infamous_E View Post
I was thinking of slapping on top-model Headers, Camshafts, and Intake Manifold to put some more power into the whip, but was wondering if there's any additional suggestions I should consider for a naturally aspirated build? I figured installing supercharger/turbo is too much of a hassle unless I'm mistaken - any tips on the best build without going too overboard with installations and what-not?
Flex fuel kit since you're going to have to tune anyway.
jaybee924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
You're on the right track. I'd say add heads, e85, and a cai. After that it's really just how extreme you want to go; ported and milled head, msd or high ram IM, 2" headers or 1 7/8s, cated or catless, and if you want to do an ATI dampener.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:49 AM   #4
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
multiple camshafts will definitely bring all the boys to the yard.

from a labor standpoint, i think installing a blower would be easier than doing heads & cam. only problem with that is you will quickly be limited by the factory short block.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:36 AM   #5
Tha_Infamous_E

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
multiple camshafts will definitely bring all the boys to the yard.

from a labor standpoint, i think installing a blower would be easier than doing heads & cam. only problem with that is you will quickly be limited by the factory short block.
You believe a supercharger would be easier to install than Cams + Header? Would that mean you think a supercharger and intake manifold would be a good mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
You're on the right track. I'd say add heads, e85, and a cai. After that it's really just how extreme you want to go; ported and milled head, msd or high ram IM, 2" headers or 1 7/8s, cated or catless, and if you want to do an ATI dampener.
Already got the CAI installed luckily - so mostly you'd suggest getting e85 on top of the H/C/I I'm thinking of?
Tha_Infamous_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:10 AM   #6
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Infamous_E View Post
You believe a supercharger would be easier to install than Cams + Header? Would that mean you think a supercharger and intake manifold would be a good mix?

Already got the CAI installed luckily - so mostly you'd suggest getting e85 on top of the H/C/I I'm thinking of?
If you go roots style no need to spend extra money on a manifold. With a centrifugal you could change it, but it’s not a must.

It’s probably more money up front than HCI build, but will make more power.

All depends on what you want.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
It all depends on what your goals are. Some things to consider in no particular order.

A 550-600whp H/C/I setup is similar in cost to a 700whp Supercharger setup. That could be off set depending if you are doing the work or farming it out. Above 600whp you need full fuel system and/or meth for FI and above 700whp I would be looking at rods and pistons for the Supercharger setup and that will drive the cost up quite a bit.

There are some SBE FI cars living well above 700whp and I would be comfortable pushing mine above that since I understand the tuning side of these engines and frequently data-log to keep a eye on things, but it's not for everybody, nor would I recommend it for the average car enthusiast.

Going more then 600whp NA also drives the cost up substantially as you would be entering a different price point for engine components to support that kind of power. More exotic heads will be needed, ported high ram intake, better valve train components to handle high rpm...etc.

If you go with a PD supercharger you don't need to upgrade the manifold or converter. H/C or Centri car will "Ideally" need a converter and that is another 1200.00.

Supercharged car will drive like stock. 600whp H/C/I car will have some compromises in drive-ability unless you go with a mild setup then you are probably looking around 525-550whp.

H/C/I converter car is more labor intensive then a Supercharger install...especially compared to a Centri.

A lot of the Cam kits I see likely won't go more then 25k miles before needing valve springs and possibly lifters replaced. The springs will wear out faster due to the ramp rates of the cam and higher spring pressures aside from how easy you drive the car. FI car could go much further depending on how it's driven. The main thing will be keeping the combustion temps low to prevent from pinching a piston ring if pushing the power up past 600whp. Octane and cooling mods are important with FI on these engines.

Just throwing out some random things to consider between the 2. I don't really see one being better then the other. I have have had several NA and FI setups over the years. What I like about my current setup is that it's a total sleeper. It doesn't drive or behave any different then when it was stock. Just feels like it has more a lot more power everywhere when you give it some throttle.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #8
Calubi

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
What is the intended use for the car? I'd imagine H/C/I would stay a bit cooler on a road course without all of the extra heat from the FI system, save some weight, too.