Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Have you had a runaway throttle? Revs climb to 4000 RPM without touching pedal?
M6: Yes, It has happened to me too. 17 25.00%
M6: No, It's never happened to me. 32 47.06%
A10: Yes, it's happened to me too. 0 0%
A10: No, It has never happened to me. 19 27.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #29
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Thanks Travis. I didn't see that thread in previous searches. Was that a fan belt squealing I heard? It didn't look like your tires were spinning. Your clutch was disengaged, right?

I've had this happen when I was in front of a school dropping off kids. You should have seen all the ugly stares I got from parents, teachers, and the resource officer. I puttered out of there hoping it wouldn't happen again.
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #30
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Thanks Travis. I didn't see that thread in previous searches. Was that a fan belt squealing I heard? It didn't look like your tires were spinning. Your clutch was disengaged, right?

I've had this happen when I was in front of a school dropping off kids. You should have seen all the ugly stares I got from parents, teachers, and the resource officer. I puttered out of there hoping it wouldn't happen again.
I'm not exactly sure what squeal you are referring to. At the time when the car revved up by itself, I think the squeal was someone else doing a short burnout. The clutch was mostly disengaged (if not all the way). I was inching forward at the time, so I think I was feathering it.

This incident was certainly embarrassing too. The guy motioning for me to pull up probably thought I was a jackass. The same exact thing happened the day before on the NCM track. A track worker motioned for me to pull forward slowly. The car suddenly revved while I was right beside of the guy. He shot me the WTF are you doing look. I didn't bother explaining.

I've personally only ever had this happen while in track mode. Inching forward slowly seems to have something to do with what triggers it. Rev Matching was not enabled.

My theory on this is GM has already determined that the problem only occurs when the clutch is disengaged, so they aren't bothering with a fix. (This is just a guess)

GM is not big on spending money to fix problems for customer satisfaction...as evidenced by the refusal to improve the car's ability to launch.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #31
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I'm not exactly sure what squeal you are referring to. At the time when the car revved up by itself, I think the squeal was someone else doing a short burnout. The clutch was mostly disengaged (if not all the way). I was inching forward at the time, so I think I was feathering it.

This incident was certainly embarrassing too. The guy motioning for me to pull up probably thought I was a jackass. The same exact thing happened the day before on the NCM track. A track worker motioned for me to pull forward slowly. The car suddenly revved while I was right beside of the guy. He shot me the WTF are you doing look. I didn't bother explaining.

I've personally only ever had this happen while in track mode. Inching forward slowly seems to have something to do with what triggers it. Rev Matching was not enabled.

My theory on this is GM has already determined that the problem only occurs when the clutch is disengaged, so they aren't bothering with a fix. (This is just a guess)

GM is not big on spending money to fix problems for customer satisfaction...as evidenced by the refusal to improve the car's ability to launch.
I'm going to try to get it to happen again, then release the clutch and see what happens. Same place I recorded this PDR would be ideal. That parking lot turns onto an empty road with a little sand at the entrance. It's pretty normal for someone to inch forward at a stop sign. I'll be ready to wrangle the steering wheel to avoid hitting something - foot near the brake pedal just in case. If it goes wild it will be easy to project what might happen if people and cars were nearby. That kind of evidence is hard to ignore. Maybe it'll just stall or stop accelerating.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #32
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:

Twice in a McDonald’s drive through, once in front of a cop, and once when I was picking the car up from the service department. I dropped off, and they couldn’t duplicate it. I walk out to my car, and start backing out of the parking space, and vroom. A guy sitting on a bench outside crapped his pants. I get out of the car to go see if they heard it inside of dealership, and the guy on the bench asks me wth that was about. I told him it did all by itself. Naturally,inside they heard nothing, but the guy on the bench went in to vouch for what happened.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #33
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Twice in a McDonald’s drive through, once in front of a cop, and once when I was picking the car up from the service department. I dropped off, and they couldn’t duplicate it. I walk out to my car, and start backing out of the parking space, and vroom. A guy sitting on a bench outside crapped his pants. I get out of the car to go see if they heard it inside of dealership, and the guy on the bench asks me wth that was about. I told him it did all by itself. Naturally,inside they heard nothing, but the guy on the bench went in to vouch for what happened.
Damn that's pretty frequent.

As far as replicating it for a dealership...Even if you do get them to hear it, what are they supposed to do? It's not going to be fixable by a tech.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #34
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Damn that's pretty frequent.

As far as replicating it for a dealership...Even if you do get them to hear it, what are they supposed to do? It's not going to be fixable by a tech.
Agreed, but that is best was to provide feedback to GM.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #35
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Agreed, but that is best was to provide feedback to GM.
+1
Although the dealership is unlikely to notify GM on their own, it does provide a paper trail and proof if GM needs to validate these claims.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #36
Android42019
The Black Emerald

Drives: '17 ZL1, '08 Trailblazer, '11 1LTRS
Ive had this happen a couple times but ONLY with rev match enabled. Happened at midnight pulling into our driveway lmao.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #37
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android42019 View Post
Ive had this happen a couple times but ONLY with rev match enabled. Happened at midnight pulling into our driveway lmao.
What drive mode and PTM mode were you in? I've only been able to reproduce it in drive mode "Track" and PTM mode "Race". Never had rev match enabled.

Because of the behavior and conditions under which this happens, I think this issue is most likely related to "anti-stall programming" (ECM) as Squach put it in his post on pg 5 of this thread: 2017 zl1 reving up by itself (post 59)

--Cal
Old 03-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #38
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
I know how you feel man. Lots of us are upset about getting a ZL1 M6 that was less than what we expected. I was hoping for sort of a modern version of the original 1969 ZL-1 except that it had all that famous GM engineering behind it in the bottom-up redesign.

My first annoyance was that the clunky Tremec 6060 was basically a slightly modified version of my '14 SS. I was hoping for smooth synchros like I had in my '70 Nova SS Muncie M22 4-speed "Rock Crusher". Didn't even need to use the clutch to shift that sucker.

My single largest disappointment was the intrusive, debilitating, built-in bog they're calling the Manual Transmission Protection "feature" (aka Torque Management). It really took the air out of my sails. They could at least give me the option of electing out of the transmission warranty. A configurable torque management system could let us dial-in the amount of torque we need. If it breaks then the tranny repair would be on us. As it is now, folks are modifying ECM parameters and voiding the entire warranty. They like to say it's to protect the clutch but, like brake pads and tires, that's normal wear-and-tear, not covered under warranty anyway. Let me burn up my clutch if I want, right?

The GT500 is a nice car but I don't think I'll divorce Chevy over this just yet. I'm not ruling out selling my M6 when I'm done squeezing all the performance I can out if it stock. On the other hand, maybe by this time next year I'll nix the warranty and do a major Weapon-X upgrade.

--Cal
So Cal, would you (or anyone else?) now choose the A10 if you had it to do over again? I am on the fence.....

I just don't want to regret buying the M6 or the A10.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #39
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
So Cal, would you (or anyone else?) now choose the A10 if you had it to do over again? I am on the fence.....

I just don't want to regret buying the M6 or the A10.
To be honest, I would still buy an M6. I probably would have just waited and bought a used one, hoping they'd work the bugs out eventually. I'd love to drive an A10 but I believe I'd be bored with it once I'd figured out how to get the most out of it. I've always favored manual transmissions. To me, it's not a "real" muscle car unless I have to do some work to go fast. I really do love rowing through the gears. I just wish they had matched the gear box to the rest of the car like they did in the old days. My '70 Nova SS 396 was a perfectly matched machine. They should have spent a little time developing an updated 6-speed Muncie Rock Crusher like they did for the magnificent A10.

--Cal
Old 03-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #40
L98 Z28

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6spd Convertible NFG
I've had my M6 LT4 rev by itself many times, usually with Rev Matching off and in Tour or Sport mode. There's a thread here on Camaro6 about LT4 Boost Bypass Valve Adjustment. I checked and my bypass set screw was screwed pretty far in. I backed it out about 1/2 a turn which made a noticeable difference in throttle response. I'm wondering if there any connection between the revving issue and lots of bypass and if others that have self-revving issues also have too much boost bypass as well. Anyone with a self-revving LT4 want to check their bypass set screw and report back?
L98 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:44 AM   #41
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L98 Z28 View Post
I've had my M6 LT4 rev by itself many times, usually with Rev Matching off and in Tour or Sport mode. There's a thread here on Camaro6 about LT4 Boost Bypass Valve Adjustment. I checked and my bypass set screw was screwed pretty far in. I backed it out about 1/2 a turn which made a noticeable difference in throttle response. I'm wondering if there any connection between the revving issue and lots of bypass and if others that have self-revving issues also have too much boost bypass as well. Anyone with a self-revving LT4 want to check their bypass set screw and report back?
I’d still like to see what the factory adjustment specs are for this.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #42
cwebster
Cal

I finally found out what would happen if I let out the clutch during one of these runaway throttle episodes. Just pulling out of my driveway Saturday and it started to build RPMs after I bumped the throttle. It was early and nobody was out so I waited for it to get to about 3000 RPM let the clutch out. All it did was settle back to normal idle and putted down the street. Unfortunately, I didn't have the PDR running at the time.

The good news is that it's not likely going to be a safety issue. Bad news is that, because it's not a safety issue, it's not likely to be fixed.

Anyway, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

--Cal