Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-13-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
"High Level" Review of aFe Stab. Bars & ?Issues?

This will be another, typically, long review AND PSA (I'm pretty sure, anyways...).

BACKGROUND: I'm no track-guy, but am more of a strip-guy. I didn't like the idea of diminishing what GM did with the car, though, so I was attempting to try to restore what I "lost" (though there isn't a way to really calculate what I've "lost" through other suspension mods'.

REVIEW: I bought an Fe Power stabilizer bar (bar) because I switched to BMR rod ends (for everything they have for the rear of our cars, including the chassis braces for the front-of-the-rear subframe). I had another "issue" I was trying to fight, which turned-out to be unrelated to the suspension. It was my understanding (and I follow the logic after it was explained) that I lost some spring rate doing that, so, initially - I was just looking to make-up for it as reasonably as I could. I didn't think I lost too much, so I didn't want to go with a crazy bar-rate. aFe seemed to fit that bill, as their rates are: 245, 280, 310 lb/in (~25, ~40, ~55% over FE4 going off rough averages of what's been posted here) according to their recent measurements [and I liked the orange powder coat, lol]. Then - started thinking I should just do the front, for balance, and do a matched set and continued with aFe, just because of my OCD. So - I arrived at a matched set of bars from aFe. I can only comment on fit and finish, and not so much performance, at this point. I don't regret the purchases. I'm plenty pleased so far.

?ISSUES?: As the later pics. will show, is the PSA-part. I did the BMR-stuff in October, and really didn't drive the car much because of the cold and all that. Then - I got the rear bar in March, and finally the front a month later. I don't drive the car much but it wasn't until the front bar swap that I started noticing a creaking or groaning from the rear. I did some research and was growing worried that I had the dreaded missing-spot-weld-problem. Before going crazy, I started following some other, easier, suggestions with lubing the parking brake cables/retainers and then using special lube on the all the rod ends. So - just this morning, I went and replaced the front bolts for the rear cradle because I was never confident I torqued them correctly, and I read a thread where someone also use the BMR cradle front chassis braces, and got something of a similar sound that I was getting. This time, instead of keeping the rear of the car on jack stands, like I had when I installed the BMR-stuff (and the ZLE cradle bushings, done at the same time), and having the rear suspension unloaded, I thought I would replace the front cradle bolts and retorque all that with the chassis loaded, so I settled the car on ramps, with the chassis loaded...

As I was finishing up, and re-lubing the rod ends, I just happened to look-up at the bar end links (because I was considering replacing them because of the noises). I, then, noticed them bending around a part of the knuckle casting. WTF? Then - after removing the wheels, I can see where the aluminum had been ground-off where bar links were rubbing (on both sides), and both links got bent, from being in the way. So - I moved the links from the loosest position to the middle and will see how that works for now. I'll see what happens while I wait for OEM-replacement links and see if I want to ground those spots later. It seems like it would be harmless, but I'm still chewing on that.

So - the PSA is if you have aFe, or any other aftermarket bars on the rear, to check that clearance out. I don't know how it could have been the way I installed them, or what, but it is what it is. Perhaps I could ground the knuckles down in those spots (because there are no fasteners on the other side of the knuckle, nor do I think these have any structural value), but - for now - I'm just going to use the middle position and see how it feels and if clearance is good.

So there it is. I really like the bars though. I like the brackets, which seem like overkill. They fit great otherwise. I haven't seen anyone else with aFe bars complain, so maybe I did something wrong, somehow. I think the problem I've had with the bars could extend to anyone else with aftermarket bars, though. So - just keep an eye out. Also - below are the spring rates for, both, FRONT & REAR bars:
  • Front
    605 / 700
  • Rear
    250 / 280 / 300
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:38 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Nice write up! I’m not a big track guy (like you lol) but have to admit those bar mounts look super beefy.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:54 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have the same ones on my car i was actually the test car and only problem i had was about a year after having them i heard a clunk in my front end and found out one my oem studs to mount it broke and they actually took the car back and fixed it for free !
Old 07-14-2022, 08:07 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Nice write up! I’m not a big track guy (like you lol) but have to admit those bar mounts look super beefy.
Thanks! I was just relieved and surprised at what I accidently noticed. As I returned Fury to his parking spot, I noticed the noises weren't there before, so I think I've found my problem.

Even in the middle position, though, I think I'll still have to grind. It feels like the radius of the sway bar will continue to swing the links toward those protuberances on the knuckles, so when I get my replacements, that's when I'll see about doing that. I hate to, but I don't see any bolts or reasons why grinding will be an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i have the same ones on my car i was actually the test car and only problem i had was about a year after having them i heard a clunk in my front end and found out one my oem studs to mount it broke and they actually took the car back and fixed it for free !
You car and posts were the ones I remembered. You always (as far as I could find) posted positive reviews, so I was surprised to find myself where I am. I started thinking maybe the cradle is too far forward and I just didn't align it well enough, but there's not that much play to account for. In looking at the pics' again, it's easy to see how much longer the aFe bar is than OEM at the links. I'm just left with wondering if maybe the knuckles I have are a different design than yours (or earlier cars).

Regardless - I think, after I double-check, I'll just resolve to grinding a bit. I think it will be okay to knock-off just enough from each side. I might try flipping the links to the inside of the bar and see if there's enough length in the fastener to do that. I don't think it will work, but I'll soon see. It's just a little disappointing.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-14-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
Joshinator99

Chuck, out of curiosity did you reach out to AFE? Wonder if they've seen it before.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Chuck, out of curiosity did you reach out to AFE? Wonder if they've seen it before.
I haven't yet. You're right, and I probably should, but they haven't been too responsive in the past for simpler information, and, mostly, because I'm stupid-impatient. The later is definitely not a good excuse or justification for anything.

I'll probably reach out to them later, in case it's helpful to them. It's difficult to tell from my pics', but it could be their bar is slightly longer, but that could just be the way I took it.

I think I've talked myself into not being that worried about the grinding. From examining my pics', and from parts pictures on-line, I think I'll be okay. What I will do is make sure there's not a fastener on the other side of the protuberances, and if not - just knock them down near flat. I don't have a problem with that, and have the grinder and correct cutter. It'll take me less time to do that and I'll get further with correcting this earlier.

Or I'm totally wrong. LOL.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-14-2022, 04:58 PM   #7
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I haven't yet. You're right, and I probably should, but they haven't been too responsive in the past for simpler information, and, mostly, because I'm stupid-impatient. The later is definitely not a good excuse or justification for anything.

I'll probably reach out to them later, in case it's helpful to them. It's difficult to tell from my pics', but it could be their bar is slightly longer, but that could just be the way I took it.

I think I've talked myself into not being that worried about the grinding. From examining my pics', and from parts pictures on-line, I think I'll be okay. What I will do is make sure there's not a fastener on the other side of the protuberances, and if not - just knock them down near flat. I don't have a problem with that, and have the grinder and correct cutter. It'll take me less time to do that and I'll get further with correcting this earlier.

Or I'm totally wrong. LOL.
Or they’re the wrong part numbers and you grind away on your car…
Old 07-14-2022, 05:27 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
they only make 1 set of swaybars for the 6th gen so not sure it could be the wrong ones

https://afepower.com/afe-control-sway-bar-set

if you need any info/help for somebody at afe power let me know i can ask
Old 07-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Or they’re the wrong part numbers and you grind away on your car…
Too late, LOL. Not that I am so well-to-do that I can afford to throw away a few hundred bucks to replace the knuckles if they go bad (or worse - fail while driving), I feel pretty confident the grinding won't affect anything. That's based off no actual engineering or design experience, so... lol... I was contemplating ZLE knuckles anyways, HA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
they only make 1 set of swaybars for the 6th gen so not sure it could be the wrong ones

https://afepower.com/afe-control-sway-bar-set

if you need any info/help for somebody at afe power let me know i can ask
Thank you for the offer. I'm so impatient, and they've been very unresponsive to past inquiries that I took it upon myself to grind on my less-than-3000-mile car, lol. Eh. As I said above, I'm pretty confident it won't affect anything, and I verified there were no fasteners on the other side of these protuberances, so I'm taking that change. I'll be watching them for cracking or other such stuff over time though. I switch to my DRs frequently enough that I'm looking at that area anyways, so I'm hopeful that's enough to monitor what's going on

BUT - I grinded the Thursday evening, because I can't help my OCD. It went pretty smooth, but was messy, as you'd think it would be. My cheap'o grinder and aluminum grinding bits made quick work of the protuberances, and while it's certainly no machinist's/ fabricator's work, it'll get the job done. I compressed each side of the suspension such that the links' angles would be the greatest to the sway bar radius, so, as far as I could make out, I wasn't grinding more than I needed to, and was grinding where I needed to for the clearance I hoped was enough. I wouldn't have had to grind as much if I mounted the links to the middle or stiffest settings, but I knew my OCD wouldn't allow me to not create the clearance needed for the softest setting, so that's what I grinded for. Again - there aren't fasteners or anything link that these seem to coincide with, or anything like that, so I'm suspecting they're just part of the casting process. I have no training or expertise to assure me this isn't a good idea, but am hoping some common sense is enough. I don't know I'd recommend anyone else do this, but wanted to offer my experience.

I feel like online pictures I've seen (places like Summit's catalog, and other more generic Google searches) so slightly differing designs among the many Camaro models for these knuckles. That might explain why krops' didn't have to grind, and why I haven't noticed any other issues. Maybe I'm the only ZL1's that's used these bars. I don't know. I can't think of a reason why what I've done to the car's caused this issue, but here I am. Hopefully this might be helpful to someone else, because I know I was starting to freak-out about missing welds and the multitudes of others' experiences.

Cheers
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 08-17-2022, 05:00 AM   #10
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
So the moral of the story, don't buy these bars for your car cause they don't fit and are poorly engineered.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:31 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
So the moral of the story, don't buy these bars for your car cause they don't fit and are poorly engineered.
If that's your take away.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"