Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-13-2016, 11:40 PM   #43
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
True that dealers are paid less for warranty work. Some techs don't like it for this reason, however, in today's market, they shouldn't care, work is work. What I mean is that the average car buyer will rarely keep a car beyond it's warranty period. Most of the work the dealership gets is either routine stuff, which the customer typically pays for, or warranty work.

Some dealers don't like to deal with performance cars, or enthusiasts for that matter. Maybe it's because we're so picky, or know too much, or we're always changing stuff and they're just too scared or lazy to deal with it. They are perfectly happy selling and servicing Malibu and Cruze' all day long for folks that don't know that a battery and a starter are two different parts.

However, some dealerships embrace the enthusiast, because we are picky, and we know too much. They know that if they can make us happy, we are a loyal bunch of SOB's and will buy every Camaro or Corvette we will ever own from them. Not only that, we will bring our cars to them and only them. They also know that not only will we recommend them to our friends, we will insist our friends go there, or risk the "I told you so" threat. These are the dealerships where the tech actually wants to talk to you about your car, and what you've done. These are the dealerships that will go to bat for you if things get sticky with the GM rep. These are the only dealerships that should be allowed to sell any car with a V8 in it, to be sure.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:33 AM   #44
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Wow, this thread is all over the place. A lot of good points and some even better counter points. I guess its damn good that this car is coming off the showroom floor more capable than most of its drivers. I'll try to go a year without mods just for the sake of shaking down the drivetrain, but as I inch closer to the expiration, I cannot see putting simple mods off and that includes a tune. I think the blown engine is a pretty extreme example as I think that would hurt even the richest of us but I also think the law of averages work in our favor here. Much more often it's going to be just as described above...chasing gremlins, not a catastrophic loss. I will just be prepared to fix moderate failures if GM gets stingy. Even with the credible points made about M&M not being the fail-safe we may have hoped, I will still take the manufacturer to task if some head-strong service manager starts waving me off for a steering problem because he sees shiny headers dangling down. If nothing else, this thread has made me aware of multiple scenarios to prepare for.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:20 AM   #45
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
Wow, this thread is all over the place. A lot of good points and some even better counter points. I guess its damn good that this car is coming off the showroom floor more capable than most of its drivers. I'll try to go a year without mods just for the sake of shaking down the drivetrain, but as I inch closer to the expiration, I cannot see putting simple mods off and that includes a tune. I think the blown engine is a pretty extreme example as I think that would hurt even the richest of us but I also think the law of averages work in our favor here. Much more often it's going to be just as described above...chasing gremlins, not a catastrophic loss. I will just be prepared to fix moderate failures if GM gets stingy. Even with the credible points made about M&M not being the fail-safe we may have hoped, I will still take the manufacturer to task if some head-strong service manager starts waving me off for a steering problem because he sees shiny headers dangling down. If nothing else, this thread has made me aware of multiple scenarios to prepare for.
Shaking the car down for a year is about the smartest thing I've read yet on this thread. It accomplishes two things for you, one, of course, is that it gives time for a serious manufacturing defect to show up. Two, it also gives you time to get to know the car, and exactly what you want it to better and what priority that has. It will save you time and money to get it the way you want it, as opposed to just throwing money at it because this or that is what everyone else is doing.

Never mod a car just to mod it, or to hit some magical HP number. Mod the car to make it perform the way you want it to perform.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #46
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Shaking the car down for a year is about the smartest thing I've read yet on this thread. It accomplishes two things for you, one, of course, is that it gives time for a serious manufacturing defect to show up. Two, it also gives you time to get to know the car, and exactly what you want it to better and what priority that has. It will save you time and money to get it the way you want it, as opposed to just throwing money at it because this or that is what everyone else is doing.

Never mod a car just to mod it, or to hit some magical HP number. Mod the car to make it perform the way you want it to perform.
That's a great way to go about it especially on a new model like the ZL1 where the aftermarket is just doing R&D. On my 2012 Z I waited quite a while before modding exactly for this reason. Previously I jumped in both feet to modding and regretted it.