Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Apologies, but I gotta ask about the differences...

Feel kinda like a ding-dong here, but I'm honestly ignorant & would prefer to simply enquire & get some detail / knowledge vs google.

What & why does GM make both the ZL1 / Z28 & what are the application differences with the gen6 specifically?? I see posts where they say the Z28 will be faster on a short track but the ZL1 will still be stronger?? Beyond the fan base for the flavor, Why market both if the similarities should be so identical.

What do you guys expect from the Z28 the 1 will not do & what are the MSRP difference for 2017.

I'm sure this is common knowledge for most but I would like to know a little more in depth details now that I have a camaro bug haunting my thoughts..

Thanks.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Last gen, Z/28 was a 7.0 liter Naturaly Aspirated motor, LS7. The car was purpose built for the track.

ZL1 is a high HP touring car, creature comforts etc, but did well on a track.

We can expect another track focused Z/28 for gen 6, but we don't know what power plant they will use, will it be NA again, or will they put the SC LT4 under the hood.

Essentially if you want a track car, get Z/28, if you want a touring car...i.e creature comforts, ZL1.

Keep in mind when we say Track focused, we talking about a 1 speaker sound system, that exists really only to meet regulations for warning sounds, no back seat, no Air conditioning (that was optional last gen) etc. It really is for the track.

Oh and yes, expect a price premium of around 15K to 20K for Z/28, based on last gen.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
The 6th gen Z/28 hasn't been officially announced yet. We've seen spy shots of what appears to be essentially a ZL1 with additional aero bits, but the powertrain isn't confirmed yet. As such the Z/28 is likely going to be a 2018 model year release, given the ZL1 and 1LE are new for 2017.

As for "why both", it can be thought of like this:
*1LE = affordable track-day car
*ZL1 = upmarket fast grand touring
*Z/28 = hardcore track-day beast

Hope that helps.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:35 PM   #4
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
Well, it should.
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:50 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Feel kinda like a ding-dong here, but I'm honestly ignorant & would prefer to simply enquire & get some detail / knowledge vs google.

What & why does GM make both the ZL1 / Z28 & what are the application differences with the gen6 specifically?? I see posts where they say the Z28 will be faster on a short track but the ZL1 will still be stronger?? Beyond the fan base for the flavor, Why market both if the similarities should be so identical.

What do you guys expect from the Z28 the 1 will not do & what are the MSRP difference for 2017.

I'm sure this is common knowledge for most but I would like to know a little more in depth details now that I have a camaro bug haunting my thoughts..

Thanks.

Since GM hasn't said anything about a new Z/28 yet, all thats out there is speculation based on a few spyshots. From what we have seen, it is clear that GM has a more hardcore car out there than the ZL1. Presumably, this is a Z/28 but it could also be a 'ZL1.R' -an extra package tacked on top of the standard ZL1 for the more dedicated enthusiast.

Anyway, as of 2014 the mission of the Z/28 has been to be the ultimate track day Camaro. Everything else is secondary to that goal.

The ZL1 is the best all rounder. Want to cruise around on weekends with it? Go ahead. Take it to work every day? Fine. Drag racing? Sure. Road course? Why not.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Also for the track specific Z/28 it comes with more weight reduction. if you remember in the past GM releases a new edition every 6 months. I'm sure the same will continue.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Thanks.
If you were to ask the same question about the GT500 & GT350, I think you would get answers something like this.

The GT350 and it's brethren (eg. Cobra and Boss 302) come from a line of naturally aspirated track cars that began with the '65 GT350. These cars have always been designed to be homologated into organized race series such as IMSA GS, and to provide a street car that doubles as a track day racer for amateurs. All generations have been very successful in these roles. The Z/28 started out in the same way.

The GT500 has always been a supercharged beast endeavoring to take on all comers at the drag strip and the street. Like the ZL1 it has also gained cred on road tracks, but never homologated to race in any official track series. It's role will be to beat the Hellcat and the ZL1 at whatever they happen to be good at, even if that means being faster than the less powerful GT350.

I would say that the ZL1 and the GT500 are currently on the same course, but it is unclear to me what Chevy's goals are now for the Z/28. Surely their goals will have changed after the history of the Gen 5 Z/28, and I can't imagine them not aiming for GT4 homologation if they have an appropriate drivetrain.
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #8
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Thanks gents...so am I understanding correctly that the Z28 didn't really become a true dedicated race track vehicle until 2014??

If so, that would explain my confusion...seeing so many Z28's on the road for so many years, I was a bit confused as I'm really new to the whole scene. Never did I ever think I would even own a Camara. I fell for this ZL1 like love at 1st site.

Appreciate the explanations...I'm certainly more of a ZL1 need vs the dedicated version.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #9
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Thanks gents...so am I understanding correctly that the Z28 didn't really become a true dedicated race track vehicle until 2014??

If so, that would explain my confusion...seeing so many Z28's on the road for so many years, I was a bit confused as I'm really new to the whole scene. Never did I ever think I would even own a Camara. I fell for this ZL1 like love at 1st site.

Appreciate the explanations...I'm certainly modre of a ZL1 need vs the dedicated version.
Yes, I think so, they took it to another level in 2014, not like the Z/28's of old.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Yes, I think so, they took it to another level in 2014, not like the Z/28's of old.
Many would argue that it is like the Z/28s of old -but not like the Z28s that followed the original.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #11
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Many would argue that it is like the Z/28s of old -but not like the Z28s that followed the original.
Yep, and GM is trying to get back the respect that that moniker deserves and I believe the 2014 Z/28 did just that.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #12
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Agreed.