Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
mrwmaw

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Can you tell if your car went thru QC

Is there a way to find out if your car went thru Quality Control. My car was built on 5/17 and just shipped on 5/25. I am curious as to what the hold up was and am guessing it went thru QC.
mrwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
LINMUP

Drives: 1982 Z28
Having worked at the shipping yard in Oshawa ( Gen-Auto Shippers ) it could have been rail car issues. They always had issues getting railcars and cars would sit around the yard for weeks.
LINMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Silverguardrail

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwmaw View Post
Is there a way to find out if your car went thru Quality Control. My car was built on 5/17 and just shipped on 5/25. I am curious as to what the hold up was and am guessing it went thru QC.
Does it show the shipping info on GMconnects ? I would have thought some of the PA guys would have been delivered by Cassens Vehicle Hauler like mine.

ZL1 - the true definition of joy ride
Silverguardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
mrwmaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverguardrail View Post
Does it show the shipping info on GMconnects ? I would have thought some of the PA guys would have been delivered by Cassens Vehicle Hauler like mine.
No, mine is on rail
Old 05-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Interlux

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS - SW/IOM
I'm not too informed about this - but are you saying that not every car goes through some QC process?

I work with protective coatings - for boats and for cars - and we may make 1000 batches a year of a specific color but everyone is QC'ed - I know it's a little different but that's where my knowledge is coming from.

Thanks for any insight!
Interlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwmaw View Post
It's taking around a week from build to shipping, normal ...
Old 05-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
bkatzman

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1/1LE
waiting for #1509 to be shipped out!
bkatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Every car at Oshawa goes thru Quality control.

some cars have to be shipped over for 'upfits' (striping, ground fx, etc) -- and when they return they go thru another Quality control check.

...and, as LINMUP mentioned - some cars await rail cars or transporters to take them to points near and far.

Sometimes a car -- or a group of cars -- is held for various reasons. Good example -- inventory is 'just in time' -- let's assume for a minute that a shipment of a particular door panel component isn't quite right - we're not happy with the appearance or the fit - well, realistically we can't stop the plant for a day or two to await a new shipment - so we'll build the car - and then we may hold the group of cars - and have the part switched out once we receive another shipment of components....

We do this for a reason - and that's so that you as the customer are delighted with your new Camaro.

Yes - it's certainly frustrating - and it's made even more so when the 'demand' for a particular model exceeds the supply. There have been times in the past many years where some people had to wait for a year or more for a vehicle....in the case of Ferrari, ask one of those owners how long they had to wait!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
rjansen

Drives: '72 GTO, '94 Cadillac, 2012 IOM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

some cars have to be shipped over for 'upfits' (striping, ground fx, etc) -- and when they return they go thru another Quality control check.

...and, as LINMUP mentioned - some cars await rail cars or transporters to take them to points near and far.

Sometimes a car -- or a group of cars -- is held for various reasons. Good example -- inventory is 'just in time' -- let's assume for a minute that a shipment of a particular door panel component isn't quite right - we're not happy with the appearance or the fit - well, realistically we can't stop the plant for a day or two to await a new shipment - so we'll build the car - and then we may hold the group of cars - and have the part switched out once we receive another shipment of components....

We do this for a reason - and that's so that you as the customer are delighted with your new Camaro.

Yes - it's certainly frustrating - and it's made even more so when the 'demand' for a particular model exceeds the supply. There have been times in the past many years where some people had to wait for a year or more for a vehicle....in the case of Ferrari, ask one of those owners how long they had to wait!
Scott--

Do you have any information as to whether the present rail strike in Canada is causing shipping delays, and if there are any contingency plans to move finished vehicles if it is?

I was built on 5/16 and have been at status 4B00 ever since. A friend of mine, who ordered his car at a nearby dealer, was built six days earlier and received notice this morning that his car is on it's way to the dealership via Cassens Transport.

It's there!

Last edited by rjansen; 05-26-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Update
rjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Quote:

Scott,

#413 was part of the initial QC hold and when it got to the dealer it had about 30 small hanging tags with different numbers on them all over the dash. Was that an indication that numerous inspectors looked at the car. My dealer never saw tags like this before. They offered them to me but I told them to toss them.

Dave
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
My car hasn't even been bayed yet. Built on the 22nd and still at 3800. Has anybody else had this issue or know why it isn't moving? Almost all the other order historys I've seen posted get bayed on the same day they get produced.

Not complaining because I am sure there is a reason, just curious as to what that reason is.
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
mrwmaw

Quote:

Great information Scott. Thanks
Old 05-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Killer View Post
My car hasn't even been bayed yet. Built on the 22nd and still at 3800. Has anybody else had this issue or know why it isn't moving? Almost all the other order historys I've seen posted get bayed on the same day they get produced.

Not complaining because I am sure there is a reason, just curious as to what that reason is.
When I was checking on my car through GMconnects it would be days behind. Someone had recently posted that GMconnects was down, I don't know if it is back up yet. Just keep checking and have your dealer check also. They should have other ways to check.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I guess I was lucky when mine was built on 8/4/09.
My OrderworkBench form shows the car was at 3800 (produced) on 8/4 and
at 4000 (available to ship) on 8/4, and at 4200 (shipped by rail) on 8/5.
I know your all anxious to get your Camaros, but for what it's worth for me I
now consider June, July and August of 09 "the good old days".