#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-12-2022, 02:41 AM   #71
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'm not sure if you saw the video yet but a stock Tesla recently straight up mopped the floor with a stock 2020 GT500 both from a dig and a roll. It then beat a highly modded 1000 RWHP GT500 from a dig and a roll. Another Tesla beat a Hayabusa. And they have been destroying the Hellcats. So those days are already here for the most part. I don't think any Tesla owners would shy away from a race. And I wouldn't shy away either...but I hope I don't come across them, lol!!

The only thing I'd say is different about your post is that in the future you mention most likely there won't be any of our ICE vehicles on the roads as gas will probably cost way too much...like $15 a gallon for 87 octane or something ridiculous like that. But I do agree that the performance difference will be similar to the difference between our current cars and the 80s-90s versions.

To think, I remember the first time I drove my 87 IROC-Z with 5.7 TPI and I could not believe how fast it was. Then I drove my 95 Z28 the first time and I couldn't believe how fast that was. Then came modded and supercharged Mustangs up until I got my 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS and that totally blew me away. Up until my 17 ZL1 which again just amazed me. To Hellcats and now having modded cars. And to think that these EVs are soo fast that they are gonna eat up cars like mine easily from stoplight to stoplight. And the faster ones will wreck my cars from a dig, from a roll, etc. The idea that this next level of performance is that far above what we have now is just insane.

Totally agree. The only thing I need to correct is that in the future I imagine, the cars like the Plaids that are already mopping the floor with ICE cars will be much more affordable and ubiquitous, like Priuses have been for the last decade. When that happens, every soccer mom and joe schmo commuter dad will have a car that can walk most any formerly fast ICE automobile. That will be a strange time. Luckily, our cars will still sound way better
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:46 AM   #72
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
The cars may be getting faster and faster but I don’t necessarily think they are any more fun to drive. Maybe at a drag strip but for everyday driving but IMO we have reached a point where performance is way too high for the street. As we make these cars faster we also need to make them capable of handling the additional power so the limits just keep going higher and higher, which means you have to push the car even harder to get it into the fun zone. I deal with this all the time in my ZL1. I struggle with the “is it more fun to drive a fast car slow vs. drive a slow car fast” dilemma.

Moving forward, it can’t just be about crazy 0-60mph times. I hope there is more to look forward to for enthusiasts cars...
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:47 AM   #73
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
It’s great to see Camaro values go up. But yeah, not many will be collectible in my eyes. Doesn’t mean they won’t go up in value but usually when you factor in all costs of ownership (upkeep, insurance, interest, plates and any other taxes), it doesn’t always work out in a positive. But that’s not always what it’s about to me, it’s a hobby and most hobbies cost money. If you pass me in an EV while Im driving a ZL1 or 69 Camaro with manual transmission, I will look over and wavy goodbye with a smile on my face. No hard feelings on my end.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #74
d15b7

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1 LE
FYI: third Gen Camaro (certain models) are already very collectible. As long as it’s one of the ultra high performance, ultra rare models. Case in point ‘91 Camaro 1LE cars with low miles and bone stock. They are bringing big bucks now.

As has been said, I don’t think you can go wrong with any year ZL1 1LE, especially 6sp manual, as long as it’s kept bone stock and miles kept very low. You won’t lose money on that (again my opinion YMMV!). As more EVs come out and all manual V8s disappear, prices will go up and up and up. They won’t be making more, and that’s when the investment grade cars will go up up up.

I try to balance my enjoyment of driving mine, but also keeping it mint and original and low miles.
d15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:47 PM   #75
JBones81

Quote:
Originally Posted by d15b7 View Post
FYI: third Gen Camaro (certain models) are already very collectible. As long as it’s one of the ultra high performance, ultra rare models. Case in point ‘91 Camaro 1LE cars with low miles and bone stock. They are bringing big bucks now.

As has been said, I don’t think you can go wrong with any year ZL1 1LE, especially 6sp manual, as long as it’s kept bone stock and miles kept very low. You won’t lose money on that (again my opinion YMMV!). As more EVs come out and all manual V8s disappear, prices will go up and up and up. They won’t be making more, and that’s when the investment grade cars will go up up up.

I try to balance my enjoyment of driving mine, but also keeping it mint and original and low miles.
I think many people forget that you still have to store these cars, maintain them, and pay insurance for years and years. So if you were to take out a loan on a $75,000 zl1 1le, and pay it off over 5-6 years, you're already out about $81,000 + figure another $1,000/yr for insurance...so after 6 years you're into it $87,000, plus any maintenance issues that may come up after warranty. It's also taken up a spot in your garage for that length of time. What I'm trying to say is that it really doesn't make sense to be buying modern cars as an investment. You MAY get lucky on a certain car, many many years from now, but the chances are slim and the net payout is probably pretty low. Just buy these cars and enjoy them. Figure if you can sell it in 5 years for more than 50% what you paid, you're doing ok.
Instagram - @JBsCars
Old 03-12-2022, 09:17 PM   #76
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Just look at Barrett Jackson, there will always be demand for toy cars. Now if gas becomes hard to get, then that could affect the demand.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:55 PM   #77
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
All great points guys, If we did a cost for our homes, kids, health insurance, direct TV over 20 years we would all be surprised, how about 20K plus in cable/satellite tv. Just enjoy your cars, heck enjoy your lives.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:37 AM   #78
JBones81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
All great points guys, If we did a cost for our homes, kids, health insurance, direct TV over 20 years we would all be surprised, how about 20K plus in cable/satellite tv. Just enjoy your cars, heck enjoy your lives.
Exactly. If we've learned anything from the past 2 years, its that life is unpredictable and can change in an instant...you may as well enjoy the time you have right here in front of you. Honestly, when I floated the idea of getting the ZL1 when we already have 2 nice cars, my wife answered with "Hey, life is short, let's just do what makes us happy."
Instagram - @JBsCars
Old 03-13-2022, 05:30 AM   #79
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
First 3 mins of the video fits the discussion

https://youtu.be/Cbbsy9JNo3E
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:50 PM   #80
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
I think many people forget that you still have to store these cars, maintain them, and pay insurance for years and years. So if you were to take out a loan on a $75,000 zl1 1le, and pay it off over 5-6 years, you're already out about $81,000 + figure another $1,000/yr for insurance...so after 6 years you're into it $87,000, plus any maintenance issues that may come up after warranty. It's also taken up a spot in your garage for that length of time. What I'm trying to say is that it really doesn't make sense to be buying modern cars as an investment. You MAY get lucky on a certain car, many many years from now, but the chances are slim and the net payout is probably pretty low. Just buy these cars and enjoy them. Figure if you can sell it in 5 years for more than 50% what you paid, you're doing ok.
So you mean that just because you sell your car for more than you bought it for DOESN'T actually mean you made a profit? LOL!! Good luck trying to explain that to some of these guys here. This is the same reason that buying a house is not an "investment" just from owning it. People tend to throw these words around and not really know what they really mean.

But you are correct. It is best to just enjoy what you buy.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 01:12 PM   #81
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
The only thing I need to correct is that in the future I imagine, the cars like the Plaids that are already mopping the floor with ICE cars will be much more affordable and ubiquitous
Faster in a straight line 0-60 - still worthless on a road course or mountain road. A GT3 with half the power obliterates a Plaid's ring times

I'm a little tired of these simple minded sheep posting roll on videos. Any moron can mash the go pedal in a straight line, these little punks just need to STFU and maybe learn to drive. Your appliance on wheels is a novelty

True lighter weight performance e cars will come, but they won't be cheap
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...lectric-motor/
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 01:17 PM   #82
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Faster in a straight line 0-60 - still worthless on a road course or mountain road. A GT3 with half the power obliterates a Plaid's ring times

I'm a little tired of these simple minded sheep posting roll on videos. Any moron can mash the go pedal in a straight line, these little punks just need to STFU and maybe learn to drive. Your appliance on wheels is a novelty

True lighter weight performance e cars will come, but they won't be cheap
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...lectric-motor/
For EV's, they get the run on full power, each subsequent run drains battery significantly and decreases ability to reach that speed and reduces range. Its all relative. an ICE will continue to provide the power as long as the fuel keeps coming and the engine stays cool. I looked at Tesla and BMW EV vehicles. The technology is far from perfect. I think there will be more fires like the one last month on that ship full of high value vehicles in the Atlantic. Electric cars created such high heat and an inability to put out the fire, until it burned itself out. Then the lawsuits and the shock, utter shock, how a thing like this could happen.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #83
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
No, we are not.

Putin has not threatened to push me into electric cars. Putin has also not threatened to take my guns away, keep open the southern border, or treat me like a terrorist if I object to his policies. Putin is not the problem in this country.
Amen, brother.
Old 03-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #84
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Currently only 2% of the vehicles on the road are EV. Of those, 20% of the owners would not want another EV vehicle. The inconvenience is real.

California has man made blackouts. How are you going to charge your car everyday if the electricity is turned off? During summer, we are told to not use our A/C. So apparently California's grid cannot handle everyone turning their A/C on at the same time. So how are we going to charge 2 or three EVs per house hold? What about people who don't own a house? How about College Dorm students with cars? People who live in high rise apartments? Is every parking spot going to be a charging station?

Will they build up the grid ? Maybe, but there is a law in California that all cars sold in California will be zero emissions by 2030. That's 8 years form now. Keep in mind they are not building new generating plants. They think that Solar and wind will give us the electricity we need.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/24/2...on-2030-newsom

The current presidential administration has legislatively shut down oil production in America. So America is deliberately limiting oil production while mandating the sale of Electric vehicles.
I would like to point out that it was NOT legislation that shutdown the pipeline or new exploration. It was an executive order.

Big difference between the two...