Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #211
Silver2ssA8

Drives: 2017 Silver SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0Tex View Post
The one I have has a bottom groove/channel and 3 up top. I was holding the TB at an angle and also pushing on the blade to get the 1LE engraving to show up in the photo.
I figured I was seeing it wrong, thank you!
Silver2ssA8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #212
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Put a order in for one. Excited to see if I notice a difference since I already have a Pray ported one.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:04 PM   #213
Tay

Drives: 1985 Oldsmobuick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC View Post
There is a much debated problem w/ the throttle response of the LT1/LT4 engines, manual or auto, the issue has been described in this and other forums (Corvette, Camaro, CTS-V, Trucks, SUV’s), just to mention a few descriptions:

- Throttle Lag
- Delayed response
- Car feeling heavy or not nimble
- Difficulty climbing hills at low/moderate throttle
- Uncertainty when passing other cars or unpredictable response at low/moderate throttle
- Stumble when shifting on manual transmissions

You name it, this has been my issue w/ my Corvette 7 since test driving at the dealership. I've tried a Throttle controller, AFM disabler, ECM Tuning, and arguably the three most talked about ported throttle bodies (PTB) out there. I have also combined some of the above w/ some success but still not enough. One just needs to hop into almost any other comparable car to feel they respond better.

After spending so much time/money, I decided to take it upon myself to find out, I also have all the equipment needed at work (measuring, testing, simulating, machining etc.)

Long story short; it is the throttle body. Between idle (~5 degree throttle) to ~30 deg throttle angle the amount of mass air flow (which is proportional to power) puts our cars at a weigh to power ratio similar to that of trucks and SUV’s, both in terms of absolute value and rate of change. Not to be confused w/ the weight to power ratio that is usually published, which is calculated at WOT, above 35 deg throttle angle our engines shine. It is on the part throttle range (idle to 30 deg) that the issue exists.

I’m not going to speculate on the reasons, but I can tell you that our throttle body p/n 12678223 or 12620263 is used in many GM vehicles and that such throttle response helps w/ fuel economy. That helps to keep parts cost low and meet EPA requirements for the fleet. However, I do not think one size fits all and that a high performance car needs to sacrifice performance for economy.

The throttle controller and the tune improve response by making the throttle plate move faster between the 5-30 deg range. Faster, but it still needs to go through a tortuous path for the air flow, and the manifold pressure doesn’t recover as fast. It is a transient process, and it is from the intake manifold where the pistons suck the air from. Notice that this is not true throttle response, it is just tricking the ECM into thinking you have pushed the accelerator pedal harder. The actual throttle response is the same, only physical changes to the throttle can make for a true throttle response.

The existing aftermarket ported throttle bodies also helped, they do change the throttle physically, but their effect only starts to take place at about 25 deg in what I thought was the best one of them. Definitely a step in the right direction, but I noticed they were not optimized and that more could be extracted from them, that is a throttle body that can increase the absolute value and rate of change of mass air flow right from idle and up to 35 degrees to achieve the same weight to power ratio (in that range) of similar high performance cars that feel nimble and fun to drive at part throttle.

Another long story short, I reversed engineered 10ea OEM throttle bodies, 3ea aftermarket ported throttle bodies, and a benchmark (competing car maker model) OEM throttle body. Optimized/modified the OEM throttle body to meet the benchmark throttle response as well as the goal stated above.

Our modified throttle bodies (MTB) are made (CNC machined) from a brand new OEM throttle body, flow and engine tested. Our design has been fully vetted by Corvette 7, Camaro 6, CTS-V owners, fully and openly tested by Corvette Forum members mainly. Driven in different conditions/modes for a few thousands of miles now at extreme temperatures and altitudes.

See pics below for more insight into what I’m talking about…and most importantly what do you think? All comments welcome.
Please visit us at : SolerEngineering.com

Thanks,
Do you think you would see even more gains with a shaftless throttle body like this?

http://gtr.speedforsale.com/litchfie...dy-p-3784.html
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #214
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
Do you think you would see even more gains with a shaftless throttle body like this?

http://gtr.speedforsale.com/litchfie...dy-p-3784.html

That looks EXPENSIVE
Old 06-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #215
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
That looks EXPENSIVE
It is $1300 lol.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #216
Tay

Quote:
That looks EXPENSIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTNLSS View Post
It is $1300 lol.
The price is actually for two throttle bodies. The GTR uses two.

So I would say it would be closer to $650.

Last edited by Tay; 06-25-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #217
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTNLSS View Post
It is $1300 lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
The price is actually for two throttle bodies. The GTR uses two.

So I would say it would be closer to $750.

Should have clicked on the link... $750 for a custom billet throttle body isn't too bad. I thought it would be over $1,000 for one.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #218
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Quote:
That looks EXPENSIVE
That is expensive, but look at the airflow! That seems so unrestricted, I wonder about the durability of the blade opening mechanism without a shaft but it is billet So maybe it’s not an issue.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #219
Tay

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
That is expensive, but look at the airflow! That seems so unrestricted, I wonder about the durability of the blade opening mechanism without a shaft but it is billet So maybe it’s not an issue.
I would assume its pretty strong as its one piece billet

Old 06-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #220
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Installation Tip:

Once you have disconnected the battery to allow the ECU to relearn, don't close the trunk, you will save yourself the pain of crawling over the back seats to get to the emergency release.

I am such a moron sometimes...……….
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #221
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Mike@SolerPerformance, have you tested the LT5 throttle body and the difference between it and your part? I have that TB with a tune, and am curious if there's anything left on the table.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #222
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Mike@SolerPerformance, have you tested the LT5 throttle body and the difference between it and your part? I have that TB with a tune, and am curious if there's anything left on the table.
Would like to know this too and also if you thought of porting the LT5 TB?
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #223
blueg1

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
]Im in for the lt5 tb also
blueg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #224
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Someone please do a driveby with this mod. Manual owners please do a throttle blip video. Someone says rev match blips are like carb and cable response
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote