Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Powerstop pads not impressed yet

Installed the powerstop z26 pads over the winter. I removed, scrubbed and cleaned everything to give these the best chance possible. Took the car out yesterday for the first time this year and to bed in the pads. I followed powerstops directions word for word for the bedding in process. It took me two times to get a good layer transfer. I did let the brakes cool down to ambient temperature...about 5 hrs between the sessions.

I mean the car stops no problem but is seriously missing that intial bit that the OEM pads had. It also seems like slowing the car up from higher speeds...70-80 takes more brake pressure than before. I was leery on getting these because I've seen others say the same thing basically but others who said they couldn't tell any difference from the OEM other than next to no brake dust with the z26 pads.

Last edited by Silveradoss573; 04-08-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I wasn't impressed by them either. I did a friends SRT8 with the same kit, pads/rotors. I personally felt like it was a downgrade from the factory brakes. When I finally throw the 6pot ZL1 calipers on my camaro, I will be using the factory pads.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
I wasn't impressed by them either. I did a friends SRT8 with the same kit, pads/rotors. I personally felt like it was a downgrade from the factory brakes. When I finally throw the 6pot ZL1 calipers on my camaro, I will be using the factory pads.
Downgraded is about what it feels like is right. Thanks for your opinion as well.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
zwc0442

Drives: 2010 2 SS
I went with one of their kits with rotors and pads. Did the break in and they were decent enough but after about 2 weeks started squealing horrendous. Tried several things with no help so called em up and I was 1 day past their warranty period so they wouldn't do anything about it. Ordered a set of yellow hawk performance ceramic all around and used with the power stop rotors. Far better feel and stopping with the hawks. The hawk pads did develop a very minor squeak when stopping the last couple mph under light braking after about a month but is barely heard. The power stop sounded like metal on metal upon every stop.
zwc0442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:54 PM   #5
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I did Hawk HPS pads with Baer drilled and slotted rotors and it felt like a downgrade from the stock Brembo's so avoid that setup as well.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
THE_1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
I did Hawk HPS pads with Baer drilled and slotted rotors and it felt like a downgrade from the stock Brembo's so avoid that setup as well.
Did you go back to the stock setup from the dealer? I was looking to do the Hawk Ceramics and order the DBA 4000 series rotors until they came back as unavailable. Now Im back to the drawing board as to go completely stock hearing they are actually pretty good or stick with the Hawk performance and maybe stock rotors or some other rotor once I find the right fit.
THE_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:56 AM   #7
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
I am running OEM rotors and will stick with them as they seem to be a good rotor. But I have run hawks HP, HP+, as well as the street /track pads, and even the 5.0 street pads. I enjoyed the 5.0 pads but wanted more for autocross. So I went with HP+. They work well cold but screech like a school bus if you lightly drag the brakes. I like the HP+ for autocross and even used them on the track, but the seemed to not handle the heat and sometimes cracked the pad on me even when almost brand new. I went with the hawk track / street pads for road course but I hated them as they deposited uneven material on the rotors and shook the crap out of front rotors under extreme braking at high speeds. I asked hawk about that and they never responded so I sidelined those pads as backups only. Not sure what I will go back with for track use at the moment. I would not use the track / street pads for autocross as I did that for Camaro Fest last year after running the track event the day before. I found myself dragging my brake pedal trying to keep heat in the rotors. They just didn’t have enough grab for autocross driving for me. I am used to activating the ABS and chirping the tires instead.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 PM   #8
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
I almost went with this setup. I need brakes...running factory pads/rotors with 34K miles.
I may very well go OEM pads / rotors.
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:41 AM   #9
Silveradoss573

Quick update....

After having a little more time with these pads, nothing much has changed since my first post. These Powerstop Z26 pads just do not bite as good as the stock pads. Yes they work perfectly fine and no brake noise so far. But definitely not a equal let alone a upgrade from oem in terms of braking performance.

With regards to brake dust, well it is much less than the oem pads but still quite noticeable. I will say though that the couple of times this year I've washed the car at the local car wash, the Powerstop brake dust comes off the wheels with very little effort where as the oem pad dust really stuck to the wheels. Last year I was having to remove and wipe down the wheels where since installing the Powerstop pads, so far I haven't needed to do this.

I'm still on the fence whether or not I'll remove these and put the stockers back on later this year or not. The lack of excessive brake dust all over the place is nice no question but I'm missing that feeling from the oem pads.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #10
Silveradoss573

Figured I'd update this....

I've decided to go back to the Brembo/OEM pads for next year. I've put around 700 miles on the power stop's and still far from impressed with them. Like I mentioned earlier, there's still brake dust no question and the "bite" just isn't there whatsoever. So being I only drive the car every so often anyways, I think I can deal with the Brembo's brake dusting in order to get the braking performance back in my car. In the coming weeks, I may have a complete set of lightly used, low mileage Powerstop Z26 pads up for grabs???