Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #449
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Why the quotes?
Why no answer?
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #450
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I see nothing wrong with that line of thinking. That probably works for the majority of the people out there.

I stopped that line of thinking when I raced in a series for a few years, competitively. not just test n tune but a 10 race series, that's when I started to not care about what happened on the street but only on the strip(that + the one time I almost got busted lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Yeah I used to go to T&T all the time, the dragstrip was only hour away tops if there was no traffic and back then it was only like 25 or 30 bucks to get in and make as many passes as you wanted. Once I got into that series I was hooked on the competitive part.
I agree that Blaq's example is most accurate as per percentage of owners who actually track their cars.

I have taken 4 different vehicles I have owned to a strip. Next on list is a road course for the GS. I realize that people who go to the track are the vast minority of owners, but probably make up a large percentage of enthusiasts (note: owner does not equal enthusiast in my opinion).

This why it is so difficult for a manufacturer to build a performance car - most owners want the image and the bragging rights, fewer yet want the street performance, and even fewer still want as much performance as they can use at a track (strip or road course or whatever the word of the day is...insert here). If they build a highly capable road course car (ZL1 1LE), then it's too rough, or not comfy enough - which is ludicrous because you can buy a base ZL1 if you want those things.

Anyway, long rant - but enthusiasts cars we love, but don't sell well because we are willing to have compromises for performance - the other 95% of owners complain about those compromises because their latest phone takes 0.05 seconds too long to link to the bloody infotainment system.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #451
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Damn we need another mag/youtube review quick!!
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #452
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Damn we need another mag/youtube review quick!!
I don't think we're gonna see too many good reviews with the Mustang up against any legit competition. It's clear that someone somewhere doesn't want this car being compared. Which is a shame. Because there tons of cars out there that would make a good match...and ultimately win. But I don't think the Shelbys can get by anymore on excuses and subjective wins against under powered cheaper cars. So we're probably seeing just about all we're gonna see.

When you think about it, I think a lot of cars out there are have been in hiding from the Zs and will be in hiding when the higher trim C8s come out. The Z boys have been making performance and price for several years now. And it looks like it's just gonna get worse. Ford is not going to be able to answer the C8 Z06 no matter how much HP and CF they throw at the GT500. And I'm betting the lowest trim Z06 will be priced right around the GT500 anyway. So that is a battle they're gonna avoid. If GM does tweak the ZL1 to 700 HP then I'm sure Ford is definitely gonna avoid that too. I don't think we'll be seeing any good comparisons.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #453
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The complete Camaro performance package begins with the SS and the intensity ramps up from there.

A warrantied, fully track capable, 1SS has a starting msrp of $37,995.

$36,745 after the $1,250 cash back incentive available right now.
The gen5 1LE was faster than the (special) Boss 302 LS.

A gen6 SS is more of a track car than the (special) 2016 GT350 technology package.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml
The 2016 Technology Package was a joke. That is what I had and Ford was a ****up for making it without coolers. When I contacted Ford Racing about upgrading to new transmission and coolers, they said it would void my warranty. Ford sucks.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #454
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
I have taken 4 different vehicles I have owned to a strip. Next on list is a road course for the GS. I realize that people who go to the track are the vast minority of owners, but probably make up a large percentage of enthusiasts (note: owner does not equal enthusiast in my opinion).
Fully agree. Owners who take their car to the track (HPDE or 1/4) are in the minority. Which is also why it's silly to argue over track times for these things. Yet here we are
Old 02-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #455
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
Fully agree. Owners who take their car to the track (HPDE or 1/4) are in the minority. Which is also why it's silly to argue over track times for these things. Yet here we are
Hahaha, true! But if you build a capable lap machine, it must be tested against it's rivals for supremacy - this is the law of Motorsports
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 02-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #456
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
So I'm not sure why Ford even builds Mustangs like the PP2 then. Track tires, no extra coolers, if you put coolers on it you burn your warranty, if you race it on a track you burn your warranty, makes no sense.

For the magazine racing community, I think they made the mustang PP2 to get a better lap time than the ss 1le.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #457
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
For the magazine racing community, I think they made the mustang PP2 to get a better lap time than the ss 1le.
From my recollection, this hasn't happened on the same day, same track, same driver?
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 02-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #458
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I don't think we're gonna see too many good reviews with the Mustang up against any legit competition. It's clear that someone somewhere doesn't want this car being compared. Which is a shame. Because there tons of cars out there that would make a good match...and ultimately win. But I don't think the Shelbys can get by anymore on excuses and subjective wins against under powered cheaper cars. So we're probably seeing just about all we're gonna see.
MT still hasn't done an official comparison with the GT500 yet. the test against the C8 was a mash up of two separate reviews. So I think we will still see one from them.

Plus I would bet it will be at performance car of the year, best drivers car and LL
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #459
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
From my recollection, this hasn't happened on the same day, same track, same driver?

not sure about that, but in the lightning lap, the pp2 beats the ss 1le. The do mention the overheating:
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ning-lap-2018/

But with no differential cooler, the rear axle overheated every time we took the Mustang out, often in as few as three hot laps, and even with easy laps staggered between them...

That disqualifies the pp2 for me.

Last edited by Hops; 02-06-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #460
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
PP2 is ridiculous imo, it's seriously compromised for street driving due to it's tire choice, both size and type, so it tramlines and is a PITA to drive. Yet it's also seriously compromised for track and according to Ford, isn't designed for it. Further, the tire choice costs far too much to maintain for the car it's on, I can't believe any PP2 owners are going to keep on buying Cup2 tires for ANY use. If they could afford that, they could afford a far better car in the first place.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #461
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
not sure about that, but in the lightning lap, the pp2 beats the ss 1le. The do mention the overheating:
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ning-lap-2018/

But with no differential cooler, the rear axle overheated every time we took the Mustang out, often in as few as three hot laps, and even with easy laps staggered between them...

That disqualifies the pp2 for me.
Those laps were on two separate occasions, 1 year apart - a 1 second difference on a nearly 3 minute lap time is easily manipulated by track conditions. I will happily concede the PP2 can beat the SS 1LE for 1 lap, if they ever put them Head 2 Head at the same place and time and if it does in fact, best the 1LE...then I want to see it stay ahead for more than 3 laps.

Being that I am getting into road course, my closes track runs 20 min sessions (Track Junkies @ Castrol Raceway, Edmonton, AB). I would rather not have to worry about cooling at any point during a single session.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 02-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #462
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
PP2 is ridiculous imo, it's seriously compromised for street driving due to it's tire choice, both size and type, so it tramlines and is a PITA to drive. Yet it's also seriously compromised for track and according to Ford, isn't designed for it. Further, the tire choice costs far too much to maintain for the car it's on, I can't believe any PP2 owners are going to keep on buying Cup2 tires for ANY use. If they could afford that, they could afford a far better car in the first place.
But it has cool wheels.....LOL. I agree with you here 100%
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote