Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 02-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #323
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Yea, the last solid axle version was hailed as a 200mph car, why regress regardless of how meaningless and rarely explored of a stat that may be.
I remember that well - yet only Ford could get it to 200mph, and no independent testing confirmed it, even though they tried at the high speed testing facilities.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #324
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
There is no reason why a car can’t use overdriven gears for max speed.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #325
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
I remember that well - yet only Ford could get it to 200mph, and no independent testing confirmed it, even though they tried at the high speed testing facilities.
I think the fastest they were able to get it to was about 192 or something.

The GT350's top speed is supposedly 180 and drag limited. So I don't know man, I guess the Mustangs are getting slower.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #326
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I wonder why no mention was made of this "delay" in any of the myriad reviews or all the track runs...up until it lost to the ZL1. ALl these guys who got their GT500s and headed straight for the track and were out doing launches and this and that and not one mention of this delay. Now all of a sudden there is a 1 second delay...
I think Jason mentions the delay in both the Edmunds review as well as the Thottle house review. Note that this is a professional automotive reviewer that mentions and I think there were some other videos of the GT500 that did mention it. I would have to look but it's not like it's some excuse that people are using.....well I guess some people are using it lol.

Quote:

Yes I care about it. Why shouldn't I? Because if it really is unstable over 180 then something is wrong and Ford hid that info. But for the record, do you really think Ford is gonna put that info out there? If some yahoo tunes it and it flies off the road do you think Ford is gonna come out after the fact and explain that it is unstable? Like, their 6 year 760 HP project has a severe issue at high speeds. I wouldn't answer that question either. But when no other car has been limited like that, not even the previous Gen GT500, and then all of a sudden they're talking about "who is going that fast anyway", does that seriously not strike you as odd? There are plenty of places where a person can reach 180 MPH. It is not that hard to do. It doesn't take a genius to do it.

I'd like to know this as well.
No it is odd, I will give you that. Especially when they made a big deal about the 13/14 being 200MPH capable. Like I said you may be right.

I just don't care about it as much as you do I guess. I know I will never go that fast in a car so I don't care. Locally to me the only place I could think of where one could get close to 180 legally would be the Chicagoland speedway NASCAR track but I don't know if they do any events where you could get close to that speed. I know they do roll race events there

Like you I would like to know if that logic is true or not.

Quote:
I think the fastest they were able to get it to was about 192 or something.

The GT350's top speed is supposedly 180 and drag limited. So I don't know man, I guess the Mustangs are getting slower.
MT got 196 out of it at Chryslers proving ground in AZ
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #327
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

There is a video on a ZL1 page of a ZL1 doing a roll from 77 MPH to 182 where the video cuts off. It took about 20-22 seconds. I believe it was on a private road course because all you can see is the speedo and you can hear the engine/blower whine. It's pretty incredible. And not as impossible as some make it out to be.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #328
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I think Jason mentions the delay in both the Edmunds review as well as the Thottle house review. Note that this is a professional automotive reviewer that mentions and I think there were some other videos of the GT500 that did mention it. I would have to look but it's not like it's some excuse that people are using.....well I guess some people are using it lol.

No it is odd, I will give you that. Especially when they made a big deal about the 13/14 being 200MPH capable. Like I said you may be right.

I just don't care about it as much as you do I guess. I know I will never go that fast in a car so I don't care. Locally to me the only place I could think of where one could get close to 180 legally would be the Chicagoland speedway NASCAR track but I don't know if they do any events where you could get close to that speed. I know they do roll race events there

The delay is definately real and has been mentioned since the Vegas press event.

I don't think Jason was involved in the Edmunds test, maybe you mean the ISSIMI channel video.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #329
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
The delay is definately real and has been mentioned since the Vegas press event.

I don't think Jason was involved in the Edmunds test, maybe you mean the ISSIMI channel video.
haha yeah I am getting them all confused now!
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #330
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
I don't care about your life enough to do all that. And are you absolutely sure your SS is faster than my cars based on your time slips??
They do this all the time. Whenever the talk goes to how terrible the GT500 performs they start talking about where I live, how much money I make, if I really own my cars, what I do at the track, 180 MPH...they all try to deflect from the Mustang.
I wonder why no mention was made of this "delay" in any of the myriad reviews or all the track runs...up until it lost to the ZL1. ALl these guys who got their GT500s and headed straight for the track and were out doing launches and this and that and not one mention of this delay. Now all of a sudden there is a 1 second delay...
Yes I care about it. Why shouldn't I? Because if it really is unstable over 180 then something is wrong and Ford hid that info. But for the record, do you really think Ford is gonna put that info out there? If some yahoo tunes it and it flies off the road do you think Ford is gonna come out after the fact and explain that it is unstable? Like, their 6 year 760 HP project has a severe issue at high speeds. I wouldn't answer that question either. But when no other car has been limited like that, not even the previous Gen GT500, and then all of a sudden they're talking about "who is going that fast anyway", does that seriously not strike you as odd? There are plenty of places where a person can reach 180 MPH. It is not that hard to do. It doesn't take a genius to do it.
I'd like to know this as well.
It was never brought up until the ZL1 beat it...
Along with the 1 second delay...
I do think they needed an excuse for why the GT500 has been losing and this was the easiest one. Although they did use it back when the GT350R lost to the ZL1. So maybe Ford actually is handicapping their cars so it will never be an official loss...
No actually I'm pretty sure my SS is slower than your ZL1, but I can clearly drive it faster in the 1/4 mile and you would only see me for about two turns on a road course.
You are the only one who talks about how much money you make and refer to how many of these cars you can buy and assume no one else can afford them. Spending money foolishly means nothing FYI.
Seriously give up on the 180mph thing, if you've gone that fast it doesn't prove anything except you aren't that bright to be doing it on public roads.
The delay was never mentioned until a head to head race because let me explain to you again how a drag timer works. Reaction time has no effect on elapsed time, reaction time only matters when there is a car in the other lane that you are racing. I still don't know why any of these magazine reviews or youtube reviews use launch control on any of these 3 cars, its garbage.

Quote:
Also the fact is that once a GT500 owner gets used to the launch control they can time it correctly at the strip if they find that is the way to get the best launch. They might still lose at the stoplight though if they use it.
Yes, it's odd, nobody ever said it wasn't, but it's not a fact. Here's another thought, Ford knew it wasn't faster top speed than a ZL1 so they just limited it to 180mph so they didn't have to take the loss there too.
I don't think you are getting a stock ZL1 to 180 at Chicagoland Speedway even if you had free reign of it.

Quote:
There is a video on a ZL1 page of a ZL1 doing a roll from 77 MPH to 182 where the video cuts off. It took about 20-22 seconds. I believe it was on a private road course because all you can see is the speedo and you can hear the engine/blower whine. It's pretty incredible. And not as impossible as some make it out to be.
You mean someone (not you) in a modified ZL1 hit 182 in "Mexico", and recorded it with their cell phone on the speedo...your point?
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:39 PM   #331
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Yeah I cared about top speed when I was in middle school and picking a McLaren F1 in Need For Speed II because it was the fastest car in the game lol.

Exactly. There are no tracks near me that I could venture to, where I could get close to 180 so I don't care.

Texas mile does seem cool, but in stock form the few videos I have seen of stock ZL1 and Hellcats hit the mid 170s and that's it.
Probably take closer to 2 miles (or more) to hit that speed. I'm sure some idiot will do it in a tuned 500 soon enough and we will see if Ford limited it for stability or not.

I've not driven an 18+ Mustang at excessive speeds but my 15 felt pretty loose and shaky. The DCT gearing limiting it to around 190 is believable but why not just leave the car limited by drag if that is the case?
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #332
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
No actually I'm pretty sure my SS is slower than your ZL1, but I can clearly drive it faster in the 1/4 mile and you would only see me for about two turns on a road course.
You are the only one who talks about how much money you make and refer to how many of these cars you can buy and assume no one else can afford them. Spending money foolishly means nothing FYI.
Seriously give up on the 180mph thing, if you've gone that fast it doesn't prove anything except you aren't that bright to be doing it on public roads.
The delay was never mentioned until a head to head race because let me explain to you again how a drag timer works. Reaction time has no effect on elapsed time, reaction time only matters when there is a car in the other lane that you are racing. I still don't know why any of these magazine reviews or youtube reviews use launch control on any of these 3 cars, its garbage.

Also the fact is that once a GT500 owner gets used to the launch control they can time it correctly at the strip if they find that is the way to get the best launch. They might still lose at the stoplight though if they use it.
Yes, it's odd, nobody ever said it wasn't, but it's not a fact. Here's another thought, Ford knew it wasn't faster top speed than a ZL1 so they just limited it to 180mph so they didn't have to take the loss there too.
I don't think you are getting a stock ZL1 to 180 at Chicagoland Speedway even if you had free reign of it.

You mean someone (not you) in a modified ZL1 hit 182 in "Mexico", and recorded it with their cell phone on the speedo...your point?
Old 02-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #333
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post

I agree on the camaro and challenger launch control being garbage but the gt500s seems to be good, the records at the strip in stock cars have been done with LC.

I do think most owners will get used to the delay like anything but it's still another thing to worry about that will hurt in cutting a good light. Timing will be key.

Still..

GTRs are still notoriously slow at the light and don't have quite as long of a delay imo.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #334
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
GTRs are still notoriously slow at the light and don't have quite as long of a delay imo.
Not the one I was lined up against. Sheesh. That thing took off like a bat out of hell. He ran somewhere in the 10s.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #335
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
I agree with most of this, but if the car is capable why cap it? Let it top out. Sure it could be dangerous, so can 0 to 60 under 3 seconds.
I don't disagree, but I don't really get why it is a big deal. I'm guessing somebody in legal had something to do with it. WHich makes no sense either because you can easily kill yourself at any of those speeds. But, corporations as we all know don't always make a lot of sense in their decisions or how they came to them.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #336
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Not the one I was lined up against. Sheesh. That thing took off like a bat out of hell. He ran somewhere in the 10s.
Oh they're fast as shit off the line but there's a tiny bit of delay between releasing the brake pedal and going. He probably timed it well or you didn't cut a good light lol