Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-30-2020, 07:52 PM   #169
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Hard to say WRT alignment vs tires, I can say in my SLE the track alignment made a really big difference in autox, but I can't estimate how much time it would equate to on Big Willow in a ZLE. Randy is saying tires are worth at least 1 sec, maybe some folks can make an educated guess on how much time an alignment is worth?
Old 01-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #170
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Hard to say WRT alignment vs tires, I can say in my SLE the track alignment made a really big difference in autox, but I can't estimate how much time it would equate to on Big Willow in a ZLE. Randy is saying tires are worth at least 1 sec, maybe some folks can make an educated guess on how much time an alignment is worth?
I estimate 1s based on the 1.77s shaved off the C8's VIR full 2 minute lap from the track alignment.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:22 PM   #171
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
I estimate 1s based on the 1.77s shaved off the C8's VIR full 2 minute lap from the track alignment.
VIR is 0.75 longer than Willow. Let’s call it 0.50-sec and lets give the GT500 1.5-sec.

1:26.70 - ZL1 1LE
1:26.65 - GT500 CFTP
1:32.59 - Red Eye
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:51 AM   #172
LSA

Drives: Fast
The tire argument is made up.
LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:49 AM   #173
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
There must be some reason why there hasn't been some major publication doing a 3 / 4 way comparison. I thought when we saw a 911 in some reviews that maybe we were going to see a host of different match-ups. I don't think that GM is too concerned about letting the Camaro go up against most anything. I think FCA is just as willing to put their RE against anything (outcome be d@mned), it is great exposure for a centuries old platform . Ford does seem to be reluctant to bring out the GT500s for any kind of head to head to head comparison. I think the same can be said of Porsche (I am fully aware of how many Porsche owners view us as knuckle-dragging Camaro / Corvette owners). I would love to see a shoot-out against an AMG GT-C or GT-R. Same for any Audi RS or BMW M series.

Last edited by Lafourche1; 01-31-2020 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Don't like first piece
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:18 AM   #174
LSA

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
Ford does seem to be reluctant to bring out the GT500s for any kind of head to head to head comparison.
Unfortunately that seems to be the case.
LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:01 AM   #175
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
There must be some reason why there hasn't been some major publication doing a 3 / 4 way comparison. I thought when we saw a 911 in some reviews that maybe we were going to see a host of different match-ups. I don't think that GM is too concerned about letting the Camaro go up against most anything. I think FCA is just as willing to put their RE against anything (outcome be d@mned), it is great exposure for a centuries old platform . Ford does seem to be reluctant to bring out the GT500s for any kind of head to head to head comparison. I think the same can be said of Porsche (I am fully aware of how many Porsche owners view us knuckle-dragging Camaro / Corvette owners). I would love to see a shoot-out against an AMG GT-C or GT-R. Same for any Audi RS or BMW M series.
You gotta give it to dodge, they're willing to put the redeye up against anyone. While it's speculation, seems the gt500 isn't getting the same treatment.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #176
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
You gotta give it to dodge, they're willing to put the redeye up against anyone. While it's speculation, seems the gt500 isn't getting the same treatment.
Dodge marketing is amazing and they know everyone knows the Redeye isn't a track car. It won the race it should have, the roll race. Didn't Ford say something about Venom killing Demons one time????

I have read rumors of Dodge working on a Redeye ACR. It will be interesting to see how many of those 5 seconds they can knock off if they are. Hell throw G3Rs on the boat and you get at least 2 seconds right there. The other 3 will be waaaayyyy harder to gain though.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #177
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
There must be some reason why there hasn't been some major publication doing a 3 / 4 way comparison. I thought when we saw a 911 in some reviews that maybe we were going to see a host of different match-ups. I don't think that GM is too concerned about letting the Camaro go up against most anything. I think FCA is just as willing to put their RE against anything (outcome be d@mned), it is great exposure for a centuries old platform . Ford does seem to be reluctant to bring out the GT500s for any kind of head to head to head comparison. I think the same can be said of Porsche (I am fully aware of how many Porsche owners view us knuckle-dragging Camaro / Corvette owners). I would love to see a shoot-out against an AMG GT-C or GT-R. Same for any Audi RS or BMW M series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSA View Post
Unfortunately that seems to be the case.
THIS^^

Even tying the ZLE is a blackeye for the $94K GT500 CFTP. Ford is just not willing to let the world see exactly what the buyer gets for the $18K package, because it would likely impact sales of that package negatively.

Only a fanboi would choose to pay $100K for peformance that is matched by a $74K car.

Randy chose the ZLE based on price, 'nuff said.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:58 AM   #178
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
THIS^^

Even tying the ZLE is a blackeye for the $94K GT500 CFTP. Ford is just not willing to let the world see exactly what the buyer gets for the $18K package, because it would likely impact sales of that package negatively.

Only a fanboi would choose to pay $100K for peformance that is matched by a $74K car.

Randy chose the ZLE based on price, 'nuff said.
With how few CFTP cars will be made I don't think any review would really have an effect on sales.

I agree I think only true ford die hards would want the CFTP.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:01 AM   #179
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Ford has always been reluctant to give our test cars. They didn’t want the Boss 302 LS being tested against the SS 1LE either.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:16 AM   #180
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Ford has always been reluctant to give our test cars. They didn’t want the Boss 302 LS being tested against the SS 1LE either.
I don't disagree. That in my perception, too.

But - I think Ford has, perhaps, found the better balance of performance, in that they want the consumer to feel like they've got high performance, even though, objectively, they might not have. They don't need to necessarily beat Camaro performance - they just have to make it feel like it's the same, or close enough.

Pretty much every bit of the 6th Gen is as much a no-compromise effort as Team Camaro could make it. For example - maybe they took out every millimeter of roof line as they could and shrunk the windows as small as they could be, maybe both for looks and for mass control. But - that no-compromise effort was for performance at the sake of comfort and ergonomics. Team Camaro made a car for enthusiasts, not consumers (yes - we're consumers, but we are the minority). Everyone who's not a Camaro person, or appreciates performance and style bleets-on about the stupid pill box view and all that crap. I can understand their argument, and I can even agree to an extent. I think the general consumer is proving they agree, too.

So - Ford built a Mustang that didn't offend customers as much. Dynamically - on the whole, the Mustang isn't as good as Camaro. However - it is easier to live with every day and that will sell more cars (especially when Chevy couldn't advertise for crap, unlike MOPAR, for example) than having to put up with the compromises you have with Camaro. If they tried to beat Camaro benchmarks (at least that have to do with everyday-type stuff), they'd have a harsher-riding car that would beat the customer up, rather than be just harsh enough that if feels fast, really but isn't. Because Ford is better at presenting the perception of performance, at least this time. They couldn't make a car that could perform better than Camaro without making it like Camaro, thereby scaring away consumers that just weren't that serious about actual performance.

JMO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:21 AM   #181
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I don't disagree. That in my perception, too.

But - I think Ford has, perhaps, found the better balance of performance, in that they want the consumer to feel like they've got high performance, even though, objectively, they might not have. They don't need to necessarily beat Camaro performance - they just have to make it feel like it's the same, or close enough.

Pretty much every bit of the 6th Gen is as much a no-compromise effort as Team Camaro could make it. For example - maybe they took out every millimeter of roof line as they could and shrunk the windows as small as they could be, maybe both for looks and for mass control. But - that no-compromise effort was for performance at the sake of comfort and ergonomics. Team Camaro made a car for enthusiasts, not consumers (yes - we're consumers, but we are the minority). Everyone who's not a Camaro person, or appreciates performance and style bleets-on about the stupid pill box view and all that crap. I can understand their argument, and I can even agree to an extent. I think the general consumer is proving they agree, too.

So - Ford built a Mustang that didn't offend customers as much. Dynamically - on the whole, the Mustang isn't as good as Camaro. However - it is easier to live with every day and that will sell more cars (especially when Chevy couldn't advertise for crap, unlike MOPAR, for example) than having to put up with the compromises you have with Camaro. If they tried to beat Camaro benchmarks (at least that have to do with everyday-type stuff), they'd have a harsher-riding car that would beat the customer up, rather than be just harsh enough that if feels fast, really but isn't. Because Ford is better at presenting the perception of performance, at least this time. They couldn't make a car that could perform better than Camaro without making it like Camaro, thereby scaring away consumers that just weren't that serious about actual performance.

JMO.
I was thinking about this on the drive home the other day. Ford concentrated on building a better coupe first, then performance car. Chevy built a better performance car first then coupe
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:25 AM   #182
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I was thinking about this on the drive home the other day. Ford concentrated on building a better coupe first, then performance car. Chevy built a better performance car first then coupe
You said that SO much better than I did, HAHAHA.

I saw something a while ago that speculated that GM was going to spin Corvette-off, kind-of on it's own. That would leave Camaro as the RWD performance car (i.e. also, affordable) for Chevy, perhaps opening up some performance potential that, maybe before, wasn't completely allowed to matriculate down from Corvette (because it was the RWD Chevy performance car). Maybe, with Corvette moving into supercar country (i.e. not as affordable, duh), Camaro could be elevated into 'Vette's old position, and gain some more backing. We see $70k-plus models now, so maybe, with 'Vette moving into more expensive waters, Camaro might start seeing models that get into RE and GT500-prices. That could open the door to more power and technology. C8 engines - Gen IV MRC, etc.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote