Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Road Trips - Who Took One This Year in Their Camaro?

While I can't say that my ZL1 is a daily driver, I did buy it to drive it. One of my pleasures is road trips. I've taken two of note, to date, this year.

My first one was to Lake of the Ozarks, to visit family and then on up to St. Louis to visit friends and see the Cardinals play a game. I grew up in the Ozarks and there are numerous roads that just beg to be enjoyed. MO 7 from Greenview to Climax Springs is always a blast.

I traveled to Kerrville, TX and over to Fredericksburg in October. I recommend the trip to Fredericksburg to see the WWII Museum of the Pacific to everyone. The great Texas Hill country roads that surround the area are just a blast. Two lanes, with wide shoulders, well maintained and just cool bends and elevation changes.

I will drive over to Mobile, later this month, to see friends and have a couple of meals. I do this just before the New Year and it has nearly become a custom for all of us.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
I daily drive mine but when a change came up to work in Orlando for a week came up I took it. It’s about an hour and half away so it was a mix of traffic, and open roads so I let it stretch its legs a bit. Culminating in a hotel that only provided valet parking so I was like “hell no” not letting a valet drive my car. I explained it to the guy and he let me just park it myself in a spot.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
It's been a while since I've done a long distance road trip in a Camaro. In 2010, I drove my first 2SS from Dallas to Vegas and it was a great trip. Made sure to make some detours and stops along old Route 66.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
took a few trips from San Jose to Pismo Beach this year. Sometimes we take it as far as Santa Barbara, but did all those trips in the Panamera this year. Normally we take at least one wine country trip in it also, but did Pismo one extra time instead due to the fires up in Somoma this fall.

c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Many years ago when my Iroc was stock, but not a daily driver, I used to road trip quite often. Really enjoyed that, but somewhere along the way I accidentally turned it into more racecar than driver. ...one of the reasons I bought the SS was to DRIVE MORE! -in fact I have it with me here at the office today. Drive it to work about once a week, and when I don't NEED a truck or it's raining, I drive it all weekend. My wife and I have a few trips planned this coming year, and I hope to drive it. I'm also looking at that Tail of the Dragon trip, and some other TN/NC mountain runs.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #6
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Traveled from Stuttgart, Germany to Goodwood, UK (10 hours) for Festival of Speed...

via Chunnel:

And several trips to Nurburging (3 hours)...

Have bigger plans next year...wonderful road trip car...
Old 12-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Nothing too long this year in this one, couple hours or so at most. Last one had been through the mountains a number of times (8+ hour drive) as well as our GT. Next trip will likely be in the spring although depending on when the C8 comes in, it may make the trip instead. We do a lot of camping, so that usually requires the SUV and or trailer instead. And then we do a lot of trips with the boat which again requires another vehicle.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post

My first one was to Lake of the Ozarks, to visit family and then on up to St. Louis to visit friends and see the Cardinals play a game. I grew up in the Ozarks and there are numerous roads that just beg to be enjoyed. MO 7 from Greenview to Climax Springs is always a blast.

The roads in the Ozarks are fantastic. We've done them many times on motorcycles and hope to do them in the Camaro in the years to come.

We took two 1,500 mile road trips in the Camaro to TN. We did just a few of the juicy roads in the south including The Snake, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. We were supposed to get to Camarofest but we had some personal issues and unfortunately had to cancel. We will be there in 2020!
Old 12-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Where do I begin?

From Austin to Atlanta probably 4x this year.
From Austin to Houston atleast 5 times
From Austin to DFW about 3 times
From Austin to Bowling Green to Atlanta -Dodging Hurricane Barry- to Memphis, to DFW, and back to Austin
Still have to go to Houston again tomorrow.
Still have to go to Atlanta again before this year ends as well.

I will say, living in Texas you almost need an SS to keep up with how fast people drive out here.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #10
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

I will say, living in Texas you almost need an SS to keep up with how fast people drive out here.
That is something that I can vouch for. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. It would seem that a fair bit of some parts of I-10 run through Mexico. At least that is the only explanation for the speeds that were common.

We found this to be true, as well, in our trip to Austin for the AMG Driving Academy, earlier this month. Finally got to let our little four pot stretch out a bit.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #11
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I drove my 2017 SS M6 from Detroit area to Naples, FL. 1350 miles about 25.5 mpg in November.

Good trip, along the way I experimented and tried a tank of 87 octane and wrote my findings. On road trips with flat ground I found there was no difference in a VERY unscientific experiment. There were some spirited replies....

25% of responses were supportive noting it was interesting etc.

50% of responses were scolding me for injuring my engine and I should beg forgiveness.

the remaining 25% of responses sounded like Ms. Pelosi's comments on the current White House resident and seemed indicative that tar and feathers were the next action required.

My whole view on that was:
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play?

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Have made at least 6 road trips in my ZL1 since March when I bought it. 3 were with the Camaro/Firebird club which I’m a member. Went to Summit Racing in McDonough for the Camaro event in September and back in May to Tim Wellborns Muslecar Museum in Alexander City, Al. Wellborn has mostly Mopars in the museum and a few other brands. I took another road trip(500 miles total) to Milton Fl back 3 weeks ago to see a schoolmate friend. Of course I guess I should count the drive back home(300 miles)from the dealership in Greer SC where I bought it back in early March!
Old 12-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #13
Okie Noggin

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
This summer we went from BC and toured Washington and Oregon (Canon Beach to Crater Lake). 1st trip in the SS and it was a blast. No tickets or stone chips or door dings. Perfect. 2,000 miles
Okie Noggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #14
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
That is something that I can vouch for. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. It would seem that a fair bit of some parts of I-10 run through Mexico. At least that is the only explanation for the speeds that were common.

We found this to be true, as well, in our trip to Austin for the AMG Driving Academy, earlier this month. Finally got to let our little four pot stretch out a bit.
When I first moved here it surprised the heck out of me.

I was on I-35 between Austin and DFW doing 85 and still getting passed and tailgated like I was a slow poke and even aggressively passed. Some parts of I-20 between DFW and Lousiana they may as well remove speed limits altogether because you regularly see people doing 90+ like its completely normal. In DFW on I-20 or I-635 I have regularly had people cut me off at 90+ ... in a way it's nice because Texas is fricken huge and it takes like 6 hours to get from Austin to Lousiana but if you feel like cruising and dont want to go fast it can get darn right scary.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote