Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-19-2022, 12:36 PM   #1
schoenmaro55

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE
2021 2SS 1LE - Power Steering Gear Failure - 10k Miles

Hey Guys,

I was out doing a canyon cruise with some buddies last weekend here locally. About 15 min into the cruise, my car suffered a very strange issue. First, I got a message in the dash saying "service power steering".... then the steering wheel began to shake violently until I pulled the car off the road.

Prior to this happening, I had a Dodge Challenger leaking water and fluid on my car for about 5 minutes as he had a loose hose or something. Had he not pulled over a few seconds before my fault happened... I would have been going considerably faster when it happened.

After I shut the car off, the car was still shaking for a total of 2 minutes. The front wheels and steering wheel appeared as if the car was having a seizure.

I shut the car off for 20 minutes, turned it back on and it was like nothing ever happened. My scan tool at home and the dealer both picked up the code "C055C:61 Steering Gear Performance Stuck".

Probably unrelated but there was a very prominent burning smell coming from the car that lasted for hours after this as well.

I took it to the dealer and within a minute of me being there, they agreed to replace the entire power steering assembly under warranty. It's going to take at least 2-3 weeks to get the parts.

My local dealer was awesome with their support and customer service. Before the car broke, it was the most fun I have had driving anything... but this poor thing has 10,300 miles on it and I'm not sure if I can trust driving it hard anymore... which defeats the purpose of it.

I know there was a big power steering recall in 2017, hard to believe this is related... but it might be pretty close.

Here's a quick video if it happened so you can see me freak out.

https://youtu.be/tB10P3-hMig

2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE Riverside Blue "Midnight"
schoenmaro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #2
HUNTMAN-USA

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS 1LE
Smile

Great job documenting this incident! I've been following the issues with your 1LE (Lifters & Steering Gear), very unfortunate & frustrating.

What will your next course of action be with your manual 1LE? The lifter issues associated with the LT1 are troublesome & documented: suck factor, not fun....

I ask, because I really want to pull the trigger on a 2022 or 2023 1LE. As you stated $50,000+ (LARGE) is real, no joke!!!

Also, still surprised your lifter issues were with your "manual", non-AFM/DFM. I haven't heard from other manual 1LE owners with this issue, but bad lifters in the LT1 are what they are...

Wishing you the best & really hope things work out for you!!
Old 08-20-2023, 05:03 PM   #3
Texan4iu
BLEW BIU

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Exact same issue

I just went to the track on Saturday & experienced this exact same situation issue. It was crazy pulling it back into the paddock as my car was shaking just like yours (“having a seizure). Everyone was staring at me & wondering what was going on. Turned the car off & the front wheels & steering wheel continued to shake. I hooked it up to my HP Tuners & got codes C055, U0140, & U0422. Unhooked the bartering & checked front wheel harnesses to see if anything had come loose. Didn’t find anything & hooked the battery back up. Car started up so I took it for a drive down the street. No issues. I had cleared the codes earlier so I hooked it back up to HPT & same exact codes came back. Drove car about 30 miles home with no issues. Codes still remained even after clearing them again. I’ve been told I may need a new electrical power steering rack & pinion. Which I guess is part of what they replaced in yours?
Texan4iu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2021, camaro, power steering failure