Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-07-2019, 03:24 AM   #1
Porusski

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
How soft/hard is the suspension in Tour mode?

I currently own a completely different car (BRZ) which is on coilovers, and while the ride isn't terribly stiff, I am interested in my next car to have a soft ride when I want it to. Is the ZL1 still very stiff in tour mode? (Anyone know how it compares to the Audi RS3 in comfort mode?)

I've driven my friends ZL1 and I remember riding in it, and it was pretty stiff. I just don't know what mode it was in at the time.

Thanks everyone!
Porusski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:16 AM   #2
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
It's stiff in Tour, it's not softer but relative to Sport and then Track, yes which more to the point is all relative to the individual. I equate Tour to stock or OE SS, etc etc
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Tour mode is not a harsh ride and I use that when taking long trips in my ZL1! I think and it seems to get a little better mpg in Tour mode instead of Sport mode. I keep mine in Sport mode 95% of time and every once in a while put Track mode on when the road gets twisty!
Old 11-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
Chris357

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red A10
The springs are the springs, so the mode can't really change the stiffness, but in Tour the shocks are more forgiving...less firm on compression....Its not a huge difference but over rougher pavement it is noticeable and welcome. For a drive of any distance at all I just set to Tour and leave it (exhaust stays in Sport/Track ALL the time except for road trips).
Chris357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:59 AM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yeah Chris, my exhaust is set to Track mode and the fuse pulled to keep the valves open!
Old 11-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #6
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
I do mostly highway in tour mode in comfort. The car makes for a great daily driver or track beast, just choose a mode and press the go pedal.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
It depends on the road. On certain stretches of highway, track mode isn't intolerable. on some of our back country roads, even tour mode will beat you to death.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:46 AM   #8
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
It depends on the road. On certain stretches of highway, track mode isn't intolerable. on some of our back country roads, even tour mode will beat you to death.
Agreed^^^
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #9
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
My car stays in sport mode 99.999% of the time. I honestly forgot about putting it in tour mode during a few long trips this year. When I first got the car and was trying out the modes, I did notice a SLIGHT "ride quality" improvement when driving on the junk ass PA roads.

I will say, even in sport mode, the car rides decent. Sure, you feel every pebble and if there's a groove in the road the car will pull into it with ease, but that isn't the car's fault rather the steamroller rubber band tires. After a 4 hour stroll to the beach, I wasn't stiff or sick of driving the car at all. The seats are quite comfortable and with the blind spot assist and whatnot, it's a great car. I'd drive it anywhere.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
While the ZL1 suspension is stiffer than the std ss magride, a lot of the harshness comes from the tire height. The non 1le SS has a taller front tire.

I did No other changes went down to a “ZL1” height front tire and the ride got much more harsh. This is on a magride SS car. Food for thought
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:03 AM   #11
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
I find both Tour and Sport to be pretty comfortable for everyday driving. There is a noticeable difference in the different settings. I have owned a lot of cars, and the stock ZL1 suspension is among the best I've ever driven. Comfortable enough for interstate cruising and composed enough for track work on sticky tires.

Speaking of tires... a LOT of the harshness in the stock setup is the stock GY SC3 tires. I run Bridgstone A/S tires in the winter, and the softer sidewalls improve the ride a lot, at the expense of some handling, but at that point you're way beyond legal speeds anyway.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
While the ZL1 suspension is stiffer than the std ss magride, a lot of the harshness comes from the tire height. The non 1le SS has a taller front tire.

I did No other changes went down to a “ZL1” height front tire and the ride got much more harsh. This is on a magride SS car. Food for thought
+1 this.

Relative to a 2SS, each "level" of ZL1 suspension setting is about 1 notch higher.

Camry = SS Tour (just kiddin' )
ZL1 Tour = SS Sport
ZL1 Sport = SS Track
ZL1 Track = the road better be smooth
...20 more levels later...
ZL1-1LE = better make sure your fillings are tight.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #13
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Compared to an SSC twin, the ZL1 is WAY more comfy. It's still more comfy than most STX twins even on high end shocks. Depending what coilovers you have, you will likely find the ZL1 more comfortable, because I do and easily DD mine.
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #14
SouthFloridaGTO

Drives: 2005 GTO, 2019 Camaro ZL1
I daily drive a 2005 GTO with coil overs. I think the GTO is a harsher ride than the zl1 on tour. I'm on the younger side though, so the roughness isn't bothersome and I bought the coil overs knowing it would be harsher than the other suspension options.
SouthFloridaGTO is offline   Reply With Quote