Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Painted my lower coil covers

So I painted the lower coil covers, and I couldn't be happier with how they turned out. Process was straight forward. Soap and water, scuff with scotchbrite, soap and water again, then isopropyl alcohol. (or a paint prep solution). Bulldog adhesion promoter has worked many many times for me, and I had it on hand already. Then Rustoleum Apple Red Satin, and finally Krylon flat clear. ***QUICK EDIT - I chose a satin finish paint because I did not want to have to put a flat clear on. The satin was still too glossy, so I added the flat clear. Knowing that now, I could've chosen ANY paint color finish. I think the adhesion promoter first, and the desired clear finish last, are really the key.

My goal initially was NOT to perfect match my Red Hot body color. On the 90's era LT4s, LS6 and LS7 engines, the fuel rail covers were all red, but they were NOT a match for that given model year's bright red. They were they're own color. Whether it was on purpose or an oversight, I always liked that. As if the color belonged to the engine and not the car, which could be any color....but the covers were still red. -or going back even further to the days of orange chevy engines! As it turned out, the red is about 95% spot on for Red Hot. With the flat finish it looks great. Definitely looks stock to those who don't know better. If you're specifically going for a Red Hot match though, I'd go for Automotive Touch Up brand paint.

I also chose not to do the upper covers with the CAMARO on them as that's what I most commonly see painted. Nothing against that, but I just wanted to do something a little different, plus something that I feel was just a touch more subtle. I probably won't do much more appreance underhood unless it's performance oriented. Maybe a battery cover plate.

Last but not least, yes...I know it's a little dirty, and certainly not detailed. Spring cleaning hasn't happened yet.

Lemme know what you think!
Attached Images

Last edited by Abubaca; 04-12-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
So I painted the lower coil covers, and I couldn't be happier with how they turned out. Process was straight forward. Soap and water, scuff with scotchbrite, soap and water again, then isopropyl alcohol. (or a paint prep solution). Bulldog adhesion promoter has worked many many times for me, and I had it on hand already. Then Rustoleum Apple Red Satin, and finally Krylon flat clear.

My goal initially was NOT to perfect match my Red Hot body color. On the 90's era LT4s, LS6 and LS7 engines, the fuel rail covers were all red, but they were NOT a match for that given model year's bright red. They were they're own color. Whether it was on purpose or an oversight, I always liked that. As if the color belonged to the engine and not the car, which could be any color....but the covers were still red. -or going back even further to the days of orange chevy engines! As it turned out, the red is about 95% spot on for Red Hot. With the flat finish it looks great. Definitely looks stock to those who don't know better. If you're specifically going for a Red Hot match though, I'd go for Automotive Touch Up brand paint.

I also chose not to do the upper covers with the CAMARO on them as that's what I most commonly see painted. Nothing against that, but I just wanted to do something a little different, plus something that I feel was just a touch more subtle. I probably won't do much more appreance underhood unless it's performance oriented. Maybe a battery cover plate.

Last but not least, yes...I know it's a little dirty, and certainly not detailed. Spring cleaning hasn't happened yet.

Lemme know what you think!
Looks awesome!!!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:00 AM   #3
The_Dudebozo

Drives: 2016 2SS
Very cool looks awesome. How tough was it to remove those covers?
Old 04-13-2020, 06:37 AM   #4
Abubaca

Thanks guys! I'm really happy with how they came out.

....they're easy to remove. Pop the top covers off, and remove a few pcv lines. Then each cover is held on by two torx bolts. You sorta have to figure out how to twist and turn them to remove them, as they like to catch on things, but it really wasn't hard.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:40 AM   #5
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
OP - nice! Now you have me thinking about doing this on mine. The big question is what color? I already have the upper coil pack covers painted Hyperblue to match the car and I don't want more blue.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #6
Abubaca

Quote:
OP - nice! Now you have me thinking about doing this on mine. The big question is what color? I already have the upper coil pack covers painted Hyperblue to match the car and I don't want more blue.
_

Thanks! My two cents would be to leave 'em be, assuming the upper covers are already blue. You can "overcook" a good idea real quick!!!!
Old 04-14-2020, 05:39 PM   #7
Luis19SS

Drives: 2019 SS A10
Nice! Thinking of doing mine, looks good!
Attached Images

Black 2019 SS A10, MBRP Exhuast, Soler performance Ported Throttlebody, Cold Air Inductions CAI, BMR equipped, Stance SFO7 on nitto NT555G2 tires, Limited Edition White Racing Seats, ZL1 1LE Splitter, Carbon Sideskirts, Gorilla Splitters areo kit, Next Gen Speed Diffuser, JWmotorsports LED side markers

Luis19SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
cobrakillerta

Drives: '02 WS6
I have to say, I do really like this, dare I say it...It reminds me of the blue Coyote cool covers which I’ve always liked.

How close of a match is it to the red ‘CAMARO’ letting on the upper covers?
cobrakillerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #9
Abubaca

Thanks for the compliments!

As for the red paint matching the red "CAMARO"....well here's the thing. The OEM CAMARO red lettering is a little darker than the Apple red spray paint I used. However....since my letters were flaking off anyway, and since I manage a sign shop, I just made new CAMARO letters in a red that matched. -so in my pics, you'll notice they both match quite well. If they were stock letters, they'd be a hair darker. Hope that made sense.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
SSDan

Quote:
Thanks! My two cents would be to leave 'em be, assuming the upper covers are already blue. You can "overcook" a good idea real quick!!!!
Well I don't listen well and I was bored! I chose silver as my color theme for the car is blue, silver and black. So when I make a cosmetic change I use one of those three colors.

I ordered LT1 emblems to put on the lower covers. The letters are black to match the black Camaro letters on the upper covers.
Attached Images

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 05-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
Abubaca

Quote:
Well I don't listen well and I was bored! I chose silver as my color theme for the car is blue, silver and black. So when I make a cosmetic change I use one of those three colors.

I ordered LT1 emblems to put on the lower covers. The letters are black to match the black Camaro letters on the upper covers.

The silver isn't as loud as red, and I think yours really works well. Looks good. Not overdone. Post pics when you get the emblems.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #12
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
I have to confess I didn't paint the coil covers myself. Pete at Showstopper Accessories did mine. He has been painting all sorts of coil cover designs for the C7 ZO6. I picked a design I liked and sent him two brand new covers to paint.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #13
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
Looks great. I did the exact same thing. Same color.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #14
SSDan

Quote:
The silver isn't as loud as red, and I think yours really works well. Looks good. Not overdone. Post pics when you get the emblems.
Here you go:
Attached Images

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)