Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-20-2023, 01:43 PM   #1
jd2021

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS1LE
Prepping LT1 heads for build questions

Hello!
Hope you're all doing well today. I'm trying to plan out my winter build(still) and have been trying to do some research for the heads/valvetrain, but also wanted to get opinions from people who may have already thrown stuff together.

I understand that there are some issues with the stock LT1 heads with certain cams, and I'm trying to put something together that will last while being bashed on. I plan to go with a BTR220 cam and plan to build out the valvetrain with some of the following parts to hopefully keep everything together (BTR springs, new pushrods, Chevy Performance Hydraulic Lifters, ARP Head studs, Trunnion upgrade).

With the valvetrain upgrades, I'm trying to decide whether or not the heads would still have the valve seat issues if I port the heads, as I do plan to spin the motor up to at least 7k. If I decide to port the heads, would I still be compromising the longevity of the heads with the upgraded valvetrain?

Also, does anyone have any opinion if I should get new valves, and if so what are the recommended valves to get?

The application for this will be the occasional road course and autox (1 to 2x/mo) while mostly daily driving it, and I do plan to supercharge the car eventually.

Any help would be appreciated!

Best,
Josiah
jd2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 06:06 PM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Are u going dual or conical springs?

If you’re going dual I’d just buy the set in classifieds from cjz
Old 10-20-2023, 09:03 PM   #3
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I prefer Cam Motion cams with sub .600 lift if you want it to "last for a while being bashed". There is no free lunch cams with faster ramps and higher lift will make more HP and WILL not last as long. PERIOD. I only run Johnston lifters and you need to check and then recheck lifter preload and no your mechanic probably can't do it.. but we can pretend. I have a selection of at least 20 different length push rods and that is for just my ONE car. Oh and buy some expensive pushrods, oh and valvesprings are not immortal, on .650 cams I'd swap them out every 20,000 miles on .600 lift I'd swap them at 30,000 to 40,000 miles.

Here is a good read
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/18...-worth-661-hp/
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote