Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-08-2021, 05:28 AM   #1
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Alignment Results

Quite a noticeable difference in driving for me.. still not sure if it is for the better or now. Also at the same time I changed from my worn out factory Goodyear SC3 to Continental ExtremeContact Sport+ tires.

The factory set of tires wore out extremely bad on the inside of both rear tires, to the point of starting to show bands.

I'm not very sure at how the certain alignment changes affect my car other than just knowing raw basics of what camber/caster/toe d(but not sure of how much is too much or not enough) but I feel like my car now wants to slide more when trying to accelerate after turning at an intersection than what it ever used to before. Also feel like my higher speed stability isn't quite as tight as before, all in all, I feel like I'm needing to completely relearn and become comfortable with driving this car now. I've only been on the alignment for a couple days, but so far I feel like the car lost some of its handling through curves/corners.

Just posting this here looking for help understanding the changes made to my car, and to help educate myself more directly on how a change in each setting will affect my handling, as well as what is better for the best performance. I drive spiritedly quite frequently and love being able to handle the curves.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Well your camber reduction in the rear probably makes you feel that difference in the curves and turning performance. The front stayed very close to before alignment specs.

From what I understand, camber makes your car turn tighter when you are pushing it on curves and turns, hence why the 1LE can go to -2.x in the front for aggressive driving.

Another thing to consider while your old tires were old and worn, those other tires were probably sticker and overall better performance than what you have with the continental. I mean continental are good tires but won't be as sticky as the OEM tires. The continental also probably make the ride feel softer.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #3
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
As for the tires wearing unevenly and on the inside, it is a combination off too much camber without taking the car to the track and toe measures. Some folks believe camber have no effect on the wearing and only toe affects that.

I bet someone else with more experience will chime in.

I had a similar experience when my corvette GS when I changed the alignment towards a street setting to reduce uneven wearing. I felt the car lost is handling capabilities but overtime, i got used to it and the tires has been wearing very well

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #4
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Toe is the biggest contributor to tire wear. Camber can compound the tire wear, given toe figures. (there's a reference to toe that each degree is like dragging the tire sideways x-amount of feet)

If you're on new tires. I'd be very cautious given the amount toe changes in your alignment.

The camber changes are minimal and should not be noticeable at all. The toe changes are what you're experience with respect to feel. For a street car, zero toe in the front is ideal. The rear camber changes are opposite from before. Not saying the previous toe was desired, just that it went from a negative to a positive measurement.

Other folks with 6th gen alignment experience can chime in
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I concur with toe being out, it wore out my fronts on the inner edge, the OE SC3's.

Too I'll be vague so as to not color how you feel about it but I too put the ECS Sport's on my car and it's a lesser tire and I'll leave it at that, for now and anticipate your opinion of those tires.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:52 PM   #6
Anti-Venom

Drives: 98 Z28 SS, 2018 ZL1 HYPER BLUE
Piggy backing off this topic. My alignment seems to be really sensitive. My 2017 2ss non-MRC I previously owned for 3 years never had an alignment issue. My 2018 Zl1 which I bought used last year seems to be really sensitive. It’s basically once a month I need to get an alignment . I do drive over some RR tracks at low speed , and some uneven roads. I have switched to Touring mode instead of sport mode. And that has seem to help some. Anyone have any ideas why my ZL1 alignment is so sensitive? This doesn’t seem normal to me.
Thanks
Anti-Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:15 AM   #7
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
Toe is the biggest contributor to tire wear. Camber can compound the tire wear, given toe figures. (there's a reference to toe that each degree is like dragging the tire sideways x-amount of feet)

If you're on new tires. I'd be very cautious given the amount toe changes in your alignment.

The camber changes are minimal and should not be noticeable at all. The toe changes are what you're experience with respect to feel. For a street car, zero toe in the front is ideal. The rear camber changes are opposite from before. Not saying the previous toe was desired, just that it went from a negative to a positive measurement.

Other folks with 6th gen alignment experience can chime in
Pretty solid chance, I'll likely go back and get re-aligned to reverse the changes on toe. I loved how the car handled prior to this alignment.