Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
'Merica

Drives: 2LT RS
Rate my alignment

Okay, so I had an idiot attack and curbed my driver’s side wheels and tires pretty bad when a curb came out of nowhere. I decided to bite the bullet and purchase four brand new tires so I could replace the runflats with non-runflats (I have never been a fan of them). Also, deservedly so, needed an alignment so
I had the shop do that as well.

I picked up my vehicle yesterday and instantly knew something was wrong. The steering was super light, almost passenger car like where it felt as if I could steer with one finger. At lower speeds, the road feel was little to none and not what I am accustomed to with the Camaro.

After driving more, I also noticed the steering wheel does not return to center now and is about 5-10 degrees to the right, and just to add the cherry on top, all of my tires were overinflated to 40 psi.

I dropped off the car this morning very annoyed, especially since they had the entire day with the vehicle. I sent them the GM FE2 specs for alignment and I attached that and their printout (which they didn’t give me yesterday)

Thanks!!!

https://ibb.co/eWb9sq

https://ibb.co/m9zOJV

Last edited by 'Merica; 11-09-2018 at 08:32 AM.
'Merica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Was anything bent from the curbing?

Have them fix the non-centered steering wheel, first and foremost.

What mode do you keep the steering assist in? Maybe they changed it without telling you?

What's the application for the alignment? Street only? Personally I like how these chassis feel with more camber in front than rear, yours and the FE2 & FE3 specs are reversed, which will give lighter steering and more at-limit understeer. A nice compromise between street-only treadwear and sporting feel would be something like -1.5° front camber and -1.25° rear camber. Ironically, that's GM's "track" settings for your suspension, which are much too conservative for actual track work.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
'Merica

Drives: 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Was anything bent from the curbing?

Have them fix the non-centered steering wheel, first and foremost.

What mode do you keep the steering assist in? Maybe they changed it without telling you?

What's the application for the alignment? Street only? Personally I like how these chassis feel with more camber in front than rear, yours and the FE2 & FE3 specs are reversed, which will give lighter steering and more at-limit understeer. A nice compromise between street-only treadwear and sporting feel would be something like -1.5° front camber and -1.25° rear camber. Ironically, that's GM's "track" settings for your suspension, which are much too conservative for actual track work.
No, I don’t believe anything was bent because everything felt normal with the car prior to dropping it off; minus the pulling. I told them about centering the wheel. It’s almost like I have lost the precision of the steering at lower speeds, especially with smaller inputs. If I do an abrupt turn, the car still reacts.

I’m not so concerned with a more aggressive setting, as this is my daily, but moreso with it feeling like my precious factory settings.
'Merica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Drives: 2006 GMC Duramax 2500 HD, 2016 2SS
That happened to me when I got my new tire and my car an alignment. I took it back and they adjusted it so my steering wheel was in the right spot.
2016 2SS Garnet Red 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Black Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, Corvette Z51 Black Wheels, Black Front Fascia, aFe / PFADT Suspension Lowering Springs, Black High Rise Rear Spoiler. High flow headers, E85, Roto-Fab Cold Air, MSD Atomic AirForce Intake. aFe / PFADT Front & Rear Sway Bar. Pushing 520 to the Rear Wheels
martelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
It's entirely possible they screwed up the alignment. A friend took his 350Z in for an alignment after getting new tires, and 2000 miles later, the tires were worn down to the cords on the inside. He said the car felt very responsive to turn in. He then took it to a shop I deal with, and they found that the car had way too much toe out. Not surprised!

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote