Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
ImmDanny

Drives: 2021 1SS, 1969 Convertible
How’s the daily driving of an SS 6th gen?

Thinking of getting a 2018 soon as the 2019 start to roll out. Either a 1SS 1LE or 2SS depending on what I can find. For those who daily drive how is it? I’d be going 300 miles a week minimum.
ImmDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
The side and forward view is fine. Initial impressions will be unsure, but there really is no problem. It's more of a visual impression (think "mirage" if you will). The lowest setting of the seats is nearly on the floor, but there is plenty of adjustability to go up, forward/back, and enough recline. The rearward view is the one that's bad. Not bad = impossible, but bad = worse than most cars. Of course, it is doable and something to get acclimated with. Never had an issue with it; you just have to pay a lot of attention.

The trunk is a good size, but the opening from the lid is an odd shape and small.

Other than that, it's an easy car to live with. The modes make a difference and you can separately change exhaust, steering and dynamic modes (includes MRC if you have it) of each other and mix them to whatever combination you like.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of us 1LE guys that DD them, however it comes down to expectations and acclimation, and admittedly many of us are track rats so we come from a less plush perspective. You either want a 1LE or you do not. If you haven't test drove a regular SS yet, do so. If you find it perfectly sporting, and it is for most, then that's your calling. The 1LE package is one full notch more hardcore, appropriate for its track pack status.

Take a read on the 1LE sub-forum, that, along with a test drive, will point you in the right direction.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
PNYKLR2

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Convertible
The seat recline sucks honestly. I take my lunch breaks in my SS. Trying to lean back and relax is impossible. So, for sitting still it sucks. I've taken several 2+ hours drives with no problems. I thought buying premium gas would make me go crazy but honestly it's not that bad. The 19 gallon tank kinda hurts a bit to fill up if you let it go empty but the fuel mileage is much better than I expected. Visibility is fine for me but I've owned several low visibility vehicles so I'm use to it. Overall it has a few minor issues that I don't care for but the pros out weigh the cons everyday!
Old 08-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
It's perfectly fine for me as a DD. Did a 400+ mile round trip this past weekend and was as comfortable as can be.

My co-worker rode in the car for the first time a week ago and the first thing he mentioned was the visibility was no where near as bad as he's heard.

The only way to know is to test drive one yourself. And don't let anyone talk you out of doing so.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i used to daily drive one about 30 miles a day now i have a daily and never drive her lol i miss it but the gas mileage sucked too much
Old 08-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
I don’t drive mine every day, tho I only leave the house a few times a week when I am home, but I can’t wait for something to come up so I can. Yet any more than that and I’m just cruising the streets as a day job, tho I enjoy when I’m behind the wheel greatly.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
DavidinGA
Tread Marks

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
Daily drive mine and love it. Zero issues, except for needing to be SUPER careful if your out in a heavy rain with these stock runflats - hydroplane bad!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
DavidinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
ImmDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of us 1LE guys that DD them, however it comes down to expectations and acclimation, and admittedly many of us are track rats so we come from a less plush perspective. You either want a 1LE or you do not. If you haven't test drove a regular SS yet, do so. If you find it perfectly sporting, and it is for most, then that's your calling. The 1LE package is one full notch more hardcore, appropriate for its track pack status.

Take a read on the 1LE sub-forum, that, along with a test drive, will point you in the right direction.
Thank you for the welcome. Only reason I’m considering 1LE is because I do love the looks, and surprisingly there are more 1SS 1LE’s around me than 2SS. I’d rather have the creature comforts of the 2SS but the 1LE is definitely to die for.

Since it’ll be more of a daily, im afraid the “track package” would either go to waste or become somewhat of a nuisance. Main concern are the tires, from what I hear you’re lucky to get 10,000 miles out of them. Guess it’s not a huge deal but in my case it’s an extra cost fairly quick after owning the vehicle. But hey maybe it’s worth that.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
ImmDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
It's perfectly fine for me as a DD. Did a 400+ mile round trip this past weekend and was as comfortable as can be.

My co-worker rode in the car for the first time a week ago and the first thing he mentioned was the visibility was no where near as bad as he's heard.

The only way to know is to test drive one yourself. And don't let anyone talk you out of doing so.
Glad to hear the longer trips aren’t too bad. I live about 6 hours away from Cali so weekend trips are definitely on my mind with this vehicle. Visibility is something I’m sure I can get used to. Although I’m sure the BSM on the 2SS helps a lot.

I tried to take a test drive but I’m only 21 and I think the salesman figured I was there only for a joyride, which I understand as I am waiting until September to be extremely serious about buying, which I told him.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #11
ImmDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i used to daily drive one about 30 miles a day now i have a daily and never drive her lol i miss it but the gas mileage sucked too much
What were you spending on gas? Obviously it’s a V8 so guess mileage won’t be the best but I feel like it’d totally be worth it as long as it’s not $100 a week.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
CH.CRAFT

Drives: 2018 HOT WHEELS SS 6 SPEED COUPE
I AM RETIRED AND DO NOT DD, BUT I FIND THE CAMARO TO BE COMFORTABLE ENOUGH AFTER FIXING THE SEAT RECLINE ISSUE. I HAVE CHRONIC LOWER BACK PAIN AND IF IT WERE NOT POSSIBLE TO DRILL OUT THE STOPS ON THE SEATS I WOULD HAVE SOLD MY CAMARO. WHEN I BOUGHT IT I DID NOT REALIZE OR CHECK THE LACK OF ADJUSTMENT OF RECLINE ON THE SEATS.
GM ADDED A STOP TO LIMIT THE RECLINE ON THE SEATS WHICH MAKE ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME. THERE IS A POST ON HERE THAT EXPLAINS THE PROCEDURE FOR DRILLING OUT THE EXTRA SET OF STOPS, IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM AND THE INITIAL SET OF STOPS ARE STILL THERE.
I KNOW YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THE 2.0T BUT I CAN NOT BELIEVE THE GAS MILAGE, I ONLY HAVE 1400 MILES SO FAR AND BY MY LOG BOOK I KEEP IT IS AVERAGING 36 MPG, THE DIC READS 38 BUT I FIND IT TO BE OFF A BIT.
CH.CRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #13
ImmDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Daily drive mine and love it. Zero issues, except for needing to be SUPER careful if your out in a heavy rain with these stock runflats - hydroplane bad!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How many miles you have so far? How’s the gas/mpg going for you? Luckily I’m in Phoenix right now so rain is few and far between besides these monsoons which id avoid driving in no matter what car I had.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #14
ImmDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH.CRAFT View Post
I AM RETIRED AND DO NOT DD, BUT I FIND THE CAMARO TO BE COMFORTABLE ENOUGH AFTER FIXING THE SEAT RECLINE ISSUE. I HAVE CHRONIC LOWER BACK PAIN AND IF IT WERE NOT POSSIBLE TO DRILL OUT THE STOPS ON THE SEATS I WOULD HAVE SOLD MY CAMARO. WHEN I BOUGHT IT I DID NOT REALIZE OR CHECK THE LACK OF ADJUSTMENT OF RECLINE ON THE SEATS.
GM ADDED A STOP TO LIMIT THE RECLINE ON THE SEATS WHICH MAKE ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME. THERE IS A POST ON HERE THAT EXPLAINS THE PROCEDURE FOR DRILLING OUT THE EXTRA SET OF STOPS, IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM AND THE INITIAL SET OF STOPS ARE STILL THERE.
I KNOW YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THE 2.0T BUT I CAN NOT BELIEVE THE GAS MILAGE, I ONLY HAVE 1400 MILES SO FAR AND BY MY LOG BOOK I KEEP IT IS AVERAGING 36 MPG, THE DIC READS 38 BUT I FIND IT TO BE OFF A BIT.
Recline isn’t something I’m toooo concerned about although I haven’t sat in the car long enough to know if it’d be a problem for me. It’s good to know that it’s fixable.