Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-23-2018, 06:49 AM   #1
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Drove LTV6, SS and Stang GT

I test drove different cars this weekend in the event the dealer does not provide me a new torque converter for my Camaro RS. I drove 2 Camaros- a LT V6 and a SS- both of course manuals. A nd then a Mustang GT- base with a 6 speed manual. The SS was 45K, the LT 36K and the Stang 33K. The LT V6 was OK, did not thrill me- t was not as crisp in handling as my RS. Perhaps because it was stock and had stock wheels- while my RS has aftermarket wider wheels and tires. Then I drove an SS. It was better- the sound and throttle response- wow. It did feel heavier than my RS- I could feel the extra weight in the front in the corners. Both Camaros were in desperate need of alignments- the steering wheels were 20 degrees off center and they tracked all over the road. But the SS I did like- a lot.

I also drove a used 2015 C7 Vette. It was just OK- it did not have the crackling sound of the SS. Then I drove a new 2018 Stang GT- BASE model. I did it more of a follow through that I wanted to for sure get another Camaro and did not expect to like it at all. Well the GT impressed me, surprisingly.The exhaust note was amazing- quad 3 inch tips- and the gear box was tied for the best gear box I ever shifted- with a Miata ND. So crisp and theway the rev’s dropped with the super short throws and the exhaust note, it was joy to drive. The cock pit everything was just right there- placement of the gear shift lever, controls, the seating in the cock pit. So, sorry guys (and girls) I liked the GT the best.

BUT- I always check on car insurance before I buy anything. Even with my clean driving record and being almost 60 years old, the Stang was going to be a staggering 1.5X my RS. And it was a base model. For comparison the loaded SS I drove was only going to be a slight increase over my RS. And the Vette would be a decrease!

So no Stang for me, I could not justify the extra $600 a year over a Camaro SS, no matter how much I like the car. I wonder what you young guys pay- and if anyone went from a GT to SS or vice versa did you notice a huge increase or decrease? GT's seem outrageously high to insure.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #2
lawguy85

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
So, sorry guys (and girls) I liked the GT the best.
Interesting, I went from a 2016 V6 Mustang to a 2018 SS, test drove a GT Premium, GT Performance Pack, among others, and I had the exact opposite impression as you. Test drove the Camaro just for posterity, fully intended to upgrade to the GT, ended up switching platforms. Truly a great time to be a car guy, whatever you value in performance there's a affordable platform for you.

No need to apologize for your opinion, after all it's your opinion. This thing of ours, cars culture, is entirely subjective. Drive what makes you happy, not what pleases randos online.
lawguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I would never reward a company with another purchase for failing to fix my current vehicle under warranty. Hopefully they do right by you. If they don't I'd buy the Stang. The $600 a year isn't as much as the amount you would be upside down having to take a depreciation hit on an essentially new car you own now.

Bottom line make them fix the car you have now. Buy a new car because you want one not because your dumping a problem.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
JT58

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I would never reward a company with another purchase for failing to fix my current vehicle under warranty. Hopefully they do right by you. If they don't I'd buy the Stang. The $600 a year isn't as much as the amount you would be upside down having to take a depreciation hit on an essentially new car you own now.

Bottom line make them fix the car you have now. Buy a new car because you want one not because your dumping a problem.
My car goes in tomorrow. It's shuddering so bad, the entire car shakes every few seconds and even when it shifts now it shudders badly. I hope they fix the car. SM said they may just flush it again- that will be my final straw.

I am looking for another car for other reasons as well- I needs to downsize my fleet- I have a C4 Corvette that I cannot sell on my own- so would trade that as well. I do not want to reward GM by any means but I buy what I like- and I do like the Camaros and also Silverado trucks. I may opt for a Silverado regular cab- at least they have the bullet proof 6 speed tranny, not the bad A8.

I hope that anybody wishing to purchase a Camaro used or new reads these forums and stays well away from the bad batch of A8's by investigating the VIN#. I see A8 on any window sticker and would walk away.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
My interpretation when I drove between a 1LT and a 2SS, the V6 was definitely alot easier to whip around and MUCH MUCH MUCH more forgiving in rain, it wasn't "lacking" in the acceleration department, it was fun..but it was not "thrilling" so to speak. The 2SS was the exact opposite infact its difficult to believe they share the same platform... The 2SS was more - less.. "serious" ..it doesn't screw around.. you don't whip it around like a toy, you drive it with precision. The snappy accelleration it has is just unbelievable for a factory car and easily outclasses just about anything I've driven to date... but don't get her feet wet... she becomes temperamental when you bring your lady without an umbrella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post

Unfortunately, easier said than done. I have had absolutely nothing but hell from Chevy Dealers and Warranty repair.

But I do agree with what you're saying about not rewarding them with another purchase... with me its difficult because the Camaro is really the only car out that that I enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
My car goes in tomorrow. It's shuddering so bad, the entire car shakes every few seconds and even when it shifts now it shudders badly. I hope they fix the car. SM said they may just flush it again- that will be my final straw.
Honestly, this need to become a BBB Claim. How many miles are on it?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Doesn't the '18 GT manual still use the MT82 transmission? I've heard a lot of bad things about it, the Tremec in the SS is miles better.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #7
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG23 View Post
Doesn't the '18 GT manual still use the MT82 transmission? I've heard a lot of bad things about it, the Tremec in the SS is miles better.
Yeah, the original poster's comment about the MT82 shifting on par with an ND Miata is the stuff of Meth Dreams. Having owned a Mustang GT with the MT82 and a Camaro SS with the Tremec I'm quite positive which one is better than the other. The MT82 is such garbage that the Mustang race cars use a Temec in it's place.

There's other exaggerations that make this difficult to believe overall as well, like for example the comment about both steering wheels being 20 degrees off center. 20 degrees is a LOT, I'd like to see a video of this.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I've driven both the Mustang GT and a couple of Gen 6 SS Camaros with both manual and automatic transmissions.

I will take the Tremec in the SS ANY day of the week over the POS unit in the Mustang.

But - having said that, the Mustang GT - especially with the GT Performance Package - is a very fine setup and overall I like the car as a whole just as much as the new Camaro with several features that for me were better.

It all comes down to personal preference and like qcman said, if GM would not step up and take care of a problem in my Camaro, it would be a long, long while before I bought another of the same platform from them.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Sell your corvette. Tell the dealership you are done with the automatic and want to trade in your RS. I can tell from your post you really liked the SS. Why not look for a new or slightly used 1SS, you could probably find one for super cheap.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #10
JT58

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Sell your corvette. Tell the dealership you are done with the automatic and want to trade in your RS. I can tell from your post you really liked the SS. Why not look for a new or slightly used 1SS, you could probably find one for super cheap.
I have been trying to sell the C4 Corvette for 6 months now. Posted, at car shows and word of mouth. I offered to give it away for free to two people I know very well, both said no. Storage is the issue here- finding garages is near impossible. Even some dealers do not want it (OK they offered 1K for it LOL).

Good to know about the bad manual tranny in the GT's. Strange how it felt really good driving it though. Probably doesn't hold up well over time.

I think I would like a M/T RS V6- with my Adventus wheels and tires swapped on it the best if I can find one. Very slim pickings on that combo around here. Mostly SS's and Turbo 4's with the manual.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #11
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
My friend has a '17 Roush Stage 3. It literally is the biggest shit box I've ever ridden in. Rattles. Clanks. Clicks. All kinds of noises, not to mention it's a dog on the streets. Interior feels cheep. Leather seats feel like a brick. I can go on and on.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
what is so wrong with the C4 vette?unless it was falling apart as it pulled in it would always have a place in my driveway...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #13
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Interesting article about the C4
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...being-too-good

I don't know man, you seem like the type who might regret not going for the SS
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
jrob56

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ 4wd 5.3
Have you tried another dealer for your RS issues? I wouldn’t blame GM as much as the dealer, if your dealer wants to take care of you they can get it warrantied.

I’ll take the vette, tell me where to pick it up!

Sold:
95 Taurus SE
00 Z28 A4
06 TBSS
06 GTO M6
02 F150
01 B4C A4
05 GTO M6
02 Z28 M6
jrob56 is offline   Reply With Quote