Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 07-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
foo392

Drives: 2017 Garnet Red
Torque Converter Replacement

On vacation, I began to experience the dreaded shuddering of the transmission under light acceleration. It got significantly worse as my vacation continued, to the point I almost didn't want to drive it.

Called the dealer that Thursday, explained the issue, the service manager said he'd order the part and made me an appointment for the following Thursday, stating it should have arrived by then and shouldn't take but a day or two for them to fix it. (the service manager knows me by name, he's a really nice guy, and knows I'm always running!)

I drop the car off on Thursday at 8AM and didn't hear back until Monday. Another service manager calls me and says that the tech just got to the car, and that they JUST opened the TC box, and found that the box was mislabeled with the wrong TC in it! He said he called GM and that there was "only one other in the country, and it's on its way here" and that it would take another 3 days for it to arrive.... And then I would have to wait for the tech to get to it again.

Overall I'm not super upset, just inconvenienced, oh well, woe is me....!

They have not offered me a loaner.

For those who have had this done, what has ya'lls experience been with this? What opinions do you have about this situation?
foo392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:47 AM   #2
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
mine has only had any kind of shudder right after I start it if I put it into drive right away before the engine "winds down". But it seems to be happening lately even after the engine winds down & I start driving - anywhere for the first minute or so after I start driving, it may "jump" a little or shudder as I'm applying the gas. I Hope it's not this TC issue starting up - I only have 2,000 more miles left on the warranty.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #3
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
My opinion. Well. It's not pretty. I wholeheartedly believe that the issue stems from gm trying to make the car more pleasant to drive, and to alleviate a gas guzzling tax. on a v8. on a sports car.

I, like many others, didn't buy the car hoping it would be Bentley levels of comfortable, or get prius levels of gas mileage.

but since they put the v4/v8 transition, and made the slip tables compensate for the pulsing that comes along with v4 mode, I'm absolutely convinced that's what's killing the torque converters. Sure, the fluid could have something to do with the problem being accelerated. Honestly, I'm pissed that I have to tune my car, or replace with a better torque converter to get rid of the problem altogether, when the dealer has the ability to zero out torque tables, and remove v4 mode completely. But they won't.

ah well. s.o.c.k.s.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
The A8 application in the Camaro is crappy to be honest. Spirited driving is great, but driving slow on small 2 lane roads then trying to give it gas to drop to a lower gear automatically is very clunky, kind of like a DCT works at lower speeds. It is basically the torque converter keeps locking and unlocking, it is very frustrating. I had mine practically rebuilt after the thing crapped out on me right at my dealer. It still gives me trouble and if it sits all day outside then I start it up, put it into D from P, it is has a hard time engaging for a second and jerks a little, super annoying. The A8 is about as good as it will be, before eventually being phased out, at least in the Camaro and Corvette.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
The A8 application in the Camaro is crappy to be honest. Spirited driving is great, but driving slow on small 2 lane roads then trying to give it gas to drop to a lower gear automatically is very clunky, kind of like a DCT works at lower speeds. It is basically the torque converter keeps locking and unlocking, it is very frustrating. I had mine practically rebuilt after the thing crapped out on me right at my dealer. It still gives me trouble and if it sits all day outside then I start it up, put it into D from P, it is has a hard time engaging for a second and jerks a little, super annoying. The A8 is about as good as it will be, before eventually being phased out, at least in the Camaro and Corvette.
I disagree that the problem is with the A8. I believe it's with the converter and the tune. Obviously both of these are how it comes stock, but the A8 is a wonderful transmission that can hold it's own, once the issue's I mentioned earlier are dealt with.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
iarepeyton

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
I disagree that the problem is with the A8. I believe it's with the converter and the tune. Obviously both of these are how it comes stock, but the A8 is a wonderful transmission that can hold it's own, once the issue's I mentioned earlier are dealt with.
I'd agree with that. My roommate has a G8 and had a '97 Z/28 and he said they both had torque converters that acted up. We came to the conclusion that GM just can't make a torque converter worth a damn. Oh, he's also on his 3rd flex plate in the G8 but I'm not sure if that's related to a poor drivetrain or the power it's making.
iarepeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by iarepeyton View Post
I'd agree with that. My roommate has a G8 and had a '97 Z/28 and he said they both had torque converters that acted up. We came to the conclusion that GM just can't make a torque converter worth a damn. Oh, he's also on his 3rd flex plate in the G8 but I'm not sure if that's related to a poor drivetrain or the power it's making.
LOL, the old 4 speeds from the 90s like those used in the GMC trucks were literally bullet proof. I'm clueless as to why this is such a big deal for them to fix.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
That is what I meant with the application, pertaining to how they have it setup in the Camaro. I agree, think the tune and converter are the issues. The converter locks and unlocks way too much, a tune would probably clear up a lot of these issues. If I shift manually, it works great, just in "auto" it where the issues are from.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
chris12
The "Thing"

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss,Whipple,R888R,A8
I have had the triple flush about 6 months ago on my A8. I felt a great improvement for a few months before it started again. In addition to the tq shuddering the tach bounces up and down.. I asked my service manager if they still flush them and she replied that they only replace the unit. So i will update after the install. To be continued....
Old 07-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
SSport16

I was planning on keeping my SS at least until the 7th gen came out or possibly when the C8 comes out, but the A8 has been driving me crazy lately...unfortunately there is no real fix for these issues in the Camaro application and probably never will be.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Get a 2019 with the A10.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
17txcamaross

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Apologize in advance for the long winded rant on my nightmare experience with the TC replacement.

Mine was replaced without the hassle of waiting too long for parts, however, my original dealer..Katy TX completely screwed the pooch on the install.

I got my Camaro back and all seemed fine for the first couple of months...then s*** hit the fan. When the dealer reinstalled everything they did not put a wiring harness back in its respective bracket which runs through the tunnel underneath the car and also reinstalled a heat shield upside down...just lazy work I guess. Anyway, fast worward to me driving in the downtown med district of Houston when my car begins to lock and unlocked the doors on it's own, turn the engine on and back off, shift itself into nuetral...rev the engine to 3.5k RPM and then jerk back into gear. I was able to get the car to a parking space...mind you this parking space happened to be located on the 4th floor of a parking garage. Wasn't thinking myself on this one as I was going to visit a friend who was in a motorcycle accident. Turn the car off and it will NOT start again. No power to the starter, however, there was power (which would not shutoff) to the HVAC, rear plate lights and map lights. Crawled into the truck to open, pulled the battery and continued in to see my friend. The next morning I dealt with GM and getting the car down the parking garage (a 3 hour proccess to disengage the drive link and slowly but surely get down the garage only to wait for a flatbed at the bottom floor. Got the car to another dealer who showed the battery had gone bad and due to terrible low voltage was causing the issue. Battery replace and on my way.

Fast forward 4 days. The car begins the same issues as it did previously. This time on the way to my Sister's wedding. Turn around and grab my girls car instead and called a tow truck the next morning. Back to my new dealer and under further inspection one of the main power wires running under the car had stipped itself on the heat shield and was shorting about 90% of the cars systems. Dealer replaced all wires and harnesses and sent me on my way free of charge.

It was a NIGHTMARE to say the least, but I have (knocks on wood) not had any further issues since (7 months). I will say that my original dealer made good with 6 free oil/filter changes for the inconvenience. Would have rather had GM Accesories cash, but I guess oil changes work...so long as they get that right.
17txcamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #13
foo392

Drives: 2017 Garnet Red
I hadn't heard back from them, so I just gave them a call. Gave me an estimate of Monday or Tuesday it being done.

Ugh...
foo392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #14
DiGiam

Drives: 2016 NFG SS A8
My car is in right now for the shudder again. It got a new converter around 14k miles and it’s getting another one now.