Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-01-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
racerx1214

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Anybody else have factory paint defects?

So I just got my 2018 SS 1LE on Thursday, getting it all dialed in as it sat on the lot for a while, the wrap looks horrible per usual after sitting on a lot, so I will see if I can address that issue with them, but check out the passenger door. There’s so much dirt in the paint it looks like a dog chewed it up. Opinions? Should I push to have it resprayed and possibly look worse and break the factory paint, or eat it and chalk it up to standard GM quality?
Attached Images

racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
So I just got my 2018 SS 1LE on Thursday, getting it all dialed in as it sat on the lot for a while, the wrap looks horrible per usual after sitting on a lot, so I will see if I can address that issue with them, but check out the passenger door. There’s so much dirt in the paint it looks like a dog chewed it up. Opinions? Should I push to have it resprayed and possibly look worse and break the factory paint, or eat it and chalk it up to standard GM quality?
I cleaned and protected my wrap with Matte Cleaner detailer and Matte protectant by Adam''s. Looks better than new.

As for defects, my paint has like one or 2 tiny tiny specks or fish eyes and two spots that look like water spots but under the clear. You can only see it in certain reflections of light.

Your pic looks terrible. I'm not sure that would have made it past QA. Another possibility is that something happened in transport or at the dealership and they repaired it. They dont have to disclose minor cosmetic repairs and I've seen/caught dealers before who re sprayed brand new cars.

I would demand they fix that or make them take the car back if you just recently bought it. Even if they fix it, more than likely it will never look perfect. Personally, I would return the car and demand a different one. Then again, I'm a perfectionist.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
thehartfive

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS SILVER ICE METALLIC
I'd make them fix it or take it back! I just bought a new GMC and noticed a hair or something in the paint on my front fender. I felt the same way, was hoping they could wet sand the clear coat, but it was deeper! They repainted front fender & looks perfect. Good luck
thehartfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Why would you take delivery?Should have complained before you signed off.
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
racerx1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wierd Harold View Post
Why would you take delivery?Should have complained before you signed off.
Not exactly something you notice when picking up the car. It doesn’t jump out at you until you’re staring at it while wiping the car down.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #6
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Sadly I'm not surprised at this. I have personally witnessed so many fit and finish issues after close inspection of brand new unsold 2018 Camaros sitting on dealers lots. I truly wonder how some of this unacceptable workmanship is allowed to leave the plant!
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:43 PM   #7
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Yes count me as one too when prepping car for ppf I found numerous defects in Camaro . Some spots appear to be trash maybe dust which were small as pencil lead raised areas. I sanded smooth, touched up, buffed and some spots I just left alone. It’s a shame these panels passed QC but I can live with few imperfections in the paint since overall this is an amazing automobile.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
Mine was not that bad I would push that corrected if its in a visible area.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I have 2 pieces of dirt in my paint from the factory, and I have a small dent by the shark antenna except for dented it it is dented out. Then I have a circular blemish on the trunk lid, it came out when I polished the car for the ceramic coating.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #10
metros11

I don't know about factory defects, but I washed the car for the first time today after 1000 miles on the clock and I already have 3 paint chips on the front bumper.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #11
Michael2000

Drives: .
Looks like GM is reverting back to 1970's quality. This is at a time when sales are down.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:11 PM   #12
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
Looks like GM is reverting back to 1970's quality. This is at a time when sales are down.
That's why... cost cuts, reduced staff. However, isn't GM one of the top selling brands right now? Thought they were in the top 4 or something.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #13
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
I have 2 pieces of dirt in my paint from the factory, and I have a small dent by the shark antenna except for dented it it is dented out. Then I have a circular blemish on the trunk lid, it came out when I polished the car for the ceramic coating.
Hmmm, I have some weird circular defect on the trunk lid too. Looks like a quarter sized water spot but is in the clear. I tried to buff it out but no luck.

Have u tried a pointless debt repair guy yet? They should be able to get that reverse dent out.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #14
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
Sadly I'm not surprised at this. I have personally witnessed so many fit and finish issues after close inspection of brand new unsold 2018 Camaros sitting on dealers lots. I truly wonder how some of this unacceptable workmanship is allowed to leave the plant!
Not just GM. My RAM has a couple fish eyes and some dirt in the paint.

Good old American car quality flaws...