Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #29
13BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I use Sam's club gas in all my vehicles and never a problem. Their regular 87 isn't that much cheaper then other stations but their premium 93 is always minimum .40 cheaper.

2016 2SS, NPP, Adrenaline Red Leather and Pads, 6sp, Sunroof, Black Bowties, Upgraded Wheels, 15% Tint, Kooks Headers, MBRP Exhaust, 1LE Wheels, Badging, Ported Throttle Body, Procharged, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit

Coming Soon: Custom Cam, E85, Ported Heads
13BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #30
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
In an attempt to diffuse your paranoia, it was not the oil companies that came up with top tier gas standards. It was a consortium of BMW, GM, Honda and Toyota.

AAA has done independent testing of TTG and even the Society of Automotive Engineers endorse it.

“AAA was surprised to learn the extent to which detergent additives impact gasoline quality,” revealed John Nielsen, AAA’s managing director of Automotive Engineering and Repair. “As advertised, tested TOP TIER gasolines kept engines remarkably cleaner than other fuels we tested.”

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa...created-equal/

While it is true that fuel never washes over the valves of a DI engine, both Ford and GM employ valve reversion schemas. In addition, injectors can clog much more quickly than you stated. Finally, many top tier gas retailers are selling fuel for about the same price as non top tier.

Burn whatever you want in your $40-50,000 muscle car but please do your own research.
It's a trademark. It is a marketing exercise. That's all I'm saying. At no point did I state or even remotely imply that the oil companies came up with this, please don't confuse yourself.

No one is paranoid here, except maybe you? There's no need to go down that route and attack like that, the emotional attachment to a fuel testing trademark simply isn't worth it.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #31
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GelflingEssence View Post
Sam's Club gas has pretty consistantly caused the check engine light to come on in my vehicles. No other ill effects other than that little light. Just to be safe I stay away from Sam's Club gas.
And, how do you know that it was "Sam's Club gas"? Please don't say something like "because I used it for a year, and my check engine light kept coming on". Without proper diagnostic from a mechanic, you may as well be saying, "eating margarine has pretty consistently made people get divorced".

Causation =/= correlation
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #32
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
Good info!

So, according to the key findings, I can expect:

1) doesn't apply
2) an 2-4% increase in gas mileage, which gets me from 11.5mpg to 11.73mpg, a whopping .23mpg more! (note - 2-4% is a statistically insignificant margin and should be taken to mean that there is no difference)
3) I can just remove any bad stuff later by using the same chemicals occasionally.

In other words, most gas is the same, and you'll never know the difference. (just don't fill up from "Billy-Bob's Gas Mart" that has 1 pump and is in a town of 34.)
Old 08-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #33
00 Trans Ram

Wait a sec.

Shell and Valero is listed as a TOP TIER TM gasoline. And my local Sam's gets their gas from either Shell or Valero.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #34
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
Good info!

So, according to the key findings, I can expect:

1) doesn't apply
2) an 2-4% increase in gas mileage, which gets me from 11.5mpg to 11.73mpg, a whopping .23mpg more! (note - 2-4% is a statistically insignificant margin and should be taken to mean that there is no difference)
3) I can just remove any bad stuff later by using the same chemicals occasionally.

In other words, most gas is the same, and you'll never know the difference. (just don't fill up from "Billy-Bob's Gas Mart" that has 1 pump and is in a town of 34.)

I'm not convinced #3 is just that great of a plan unless you want all the "bad stuff" washing downstream into your injectors all at once. Assuming there is a benefit, which at least for some engines is a safe assumption, I suspect there is some kind of interval by which you can run high detergent gas occassionally or use fuel additives for the same benefit. I have no idea what that might be. Maybe it's every other tank and maybe it's one tank per year. Personally I'd just as soon take the guesswork out of it. As someone else said. Do your own research and make your own choices. I'm not convinced either way, but if I must err, doing so on the side of caution seems to have merit, especially when the cost is virtually nothing.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #35
dfwcowboy

Quote:
Wait a sec.

Shell and Valero is listed as a TOP TIER TM gasoline. And my local Sam's gets their gas from either Shell or Valero.

Gas comes from a limited number of fuel terminals. Some places only have one so this means everyone is getting the same base product. This doesn't mean everyone is getting the same additives. It's possible the same truck is filling up Sam's and the Shell station and the additives are the same. It's also possible different detergent packages are going to each vendor.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #36
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
FWIW, I have a CTS with a 3.6 DI that threw an engine light at 40,000 miles or so. Found that it was a clogged injector. System was cleaned out and it was recommended to me by the dealership that I only use Top Tier because the direct injection engines are more susceptible to issues caused by gas.

I know marketing obviously plays a part of every single thing we buy or use but my car did exactly what they said it would do if you don't use the gas with these certain additives. I stick with Top Tier religiously now in all my vehicles. The 3.6 now has a little over 100K on it with zero issues since.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #37
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie18SS View Post
FWIW, I have a CTS with a 3.6 DI that threw an engine light at 40,000 miles or so. Found that it was a clogged injector.
Bingo. And that's why BMW, GM, Honda and Toyota got together and implemented an enhanced additive package. And just because an engine is direct injected does not mean it will not benefit from TTG.

I do not understand why some people will spend 50k on a muscle car and run crap gas. You don't always have to go to a major oil company like Shell to get TTG. Around DFW, QT is a discount station and they sell TTG.

CR also recommends TTG. They don't accept money for their reviews so I don't think marketing or trademarks motivates them:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/
wavsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #38
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Wait a sec.

Yeah, you're onto something here.

I mean does anyone believe KwikTrip has their own refineries?!
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #39
dfwcowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K+1LE View Post
Yeah, you're onto something here.

I mean does anyone believe KwikTrip has their own refineries?!

It wouldn't really matter if they did. There's no significant differences in the way Shell refines their fuel compared to anyone else. The differences are with the fuel additives which can and do vary from one vendor to the next, which is why Top Tier only addresses the additive packages used.

https://www.toptiergas.com/faqs/
Old 08-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #40
MidLife RS:)

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th
I use Sams gas in our 2 daily drivers. The SS only gets 93 octane top tier and Sams doesent have 93 in our area.
MidLife RS:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:48 PM   #41
GelflingEssence
Banned

Drives: 2016 Challenger SRT 392
Quote:
And, how do you know that it was "Sam's Club gas"?
Cause and effect.

Within a day of filling my vehicle with Sam's Club gas the light would come on. A day after filling up some where else it would go off.

Also I could tell where my wife filled up her vehicle just based on weather on not the light was on.
GelflingEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #42
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelflingEssence View Post
Cause and effect.

Within a day of filling my vehicle with Sam's Club gas the light would come on. A day after filling up some where else it would go off.

Also I could tell where my wife filled up her vehicle just based on weather on not the light was on.
Well then, you and your wife better stay away from margarine!