Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
nighthawkra

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 NFG metallic
Former V2 ctsv owners i need ur opinions!

So I'm sure this has been said many times although I can't seem to find it. So I'm a current owner of a 2013 CTS V sedan and since it's launch I've been really liking the ZL1. I've been waiting for them to come down in price unfortunately and not really moving as fast as I thought they would LOL. My 2013 CTS V is lightly modded, but I got it when it was a year old and it was a killer deal although it is an automatic and honestly I miss having a manual.

So are any of you former cts v owners liking to experience? Anything you miss about the V?
Also this car like my V will be daily driven as i live really close to work.
I'm just worried about missing my V and feeling like i made a mistake lol.

Thanks for your help guys!
nighthawkra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I just traded my 2011 CTS-V sedan A6 in on a new 18 ZL1. My V had standard seats and also some mods. I put 15k on my V in a little over 2 years and it was my primary vehicle 8 months a year. I expect the same out of the ZL1.

Real world thoughts so far (day 3 of ownership lol):
- The Recaros are very comfortable and I am 6'3" ~320lbs. Heated and vented, lots of support.
- Getting in an out of the car is just as easy thanks to the flat bottom steering wheel.
- The technology is 100x better. The V2 was designed in the mid to late 2000's and has dated technology, even for it's time (09-15) it felt very old. Arguably my biggest pet peeve with the car. I am an IT person by trade, so it always bothered me with the little things - like no bluetooth music streaming ability without a receiver. The ZL1 tech is on point! The V2 mag ride is capable, but the ZL1 just blows it away with 4 different exhaust modes, steering modes, and suspension modes. All changeable with ease.
- 20" tires seem cheaper than the weird sized V2 tires.
- Insurance will be more. Initial quotes for insurance were about $100 MORE (per month) for a ZL1 versus the V2. That surprised me. I trimmed some fat off my policy that barely affected my other vehicles, so the additional cost now is negligible.
- More aftermarket. The V2 has a great aftermarket for the limited number of cars made per year. The 6th gen market is huge. Like 50 exhaust companies out there, haha.
- My car was black raven, what an absolute nightmare. I blame the previous owner for the neglect during it's first 25k miles of life. The damage was done when I got it, but I did my best to keep it presentable. Finding a Hyper Blue ZL1 wasn't easy in the used market, but at the end of the day, I LOVE having a new one.
- 10 speed auto > *. It makes the 6L90E feel like a big turd and I didn't even break my car in yet.
- I thought the interior on a ZL1 M6 I test drove felt much tighter for some reason. My car with the auto feels a lot more roomy in the front. Back seats are useless though. However, the V2 back seats aren't very comfortable, either.
- The 6th gen scene, MUCH like the 5th gen scene, is very strange. You may find it hard to fit in with local owners because they have some kind of stupid mural paint on the car of bumblebee or something, a Paul Walker quote, lambo doors, Monster energy decal on their bumper, cat eyes over the tail lights, etc. I don't know why people are into that stuff.

I hope I was able to answer some of your concerns. At the end of the day, I'll miss my V. But, I have no regrets in my decision.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
I kept my '14 CTS-V coupe , and co-daily my V and my ZL1.

ZL1 weight less and you feel it when pushing the car. My V has more HP, but the weight really makes it feels slower.

The updated magnetic Ride in the ZL1 is noticeable.

The 4 drive modes in the ZL1 , especially track mode, blow the V away regarding handling.

The recaros in the ZL1 are more comfortable than those in the V

The Bose stereo in the ZL1 is inferior to that in the V, but the technology is better. Bluetooth audio, ApplyCarPlay, integrated lighting customization, list goes on. User interface is obviously better

Interior of the V is dated, but is still higher quality materials than those used in the ZL!. I feel like I'm in a semi-luxury car in the cadillac, despite the technology.

The transmission (A10) is so responsive, I feel like I am going back in time after driving the ZL1 for a feww days, and hgetting back into the V

The LT4 engine and the exhaust in the ZL1 (factory or modified) is much meaner and nastier than the sound of the LSA. But the LSA OEM blower appears to be more freidnly to pulley upgrades than the ZL1.

All in all, I am glad I kept the V, as I have invested over $20k of audio (parts and labor) and another $15k of performance upgrades in the V, so the final product (not stock form) I am happy with, and in many ways is superior to the ZL1.

Which do I enjoy driving more? For all out fun on the highway, the ZL1>> V every day of the week. But for date night and a perfect listening studio (which is not possible in my ZL1 since its a vert) I prefer my V

Hope this rambling helps you a bit
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
zeroescence

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 2011 6.2 Ford Raptor
I had a 2012 CTS-V coupe. It was a great car. Here is what I can say after owning both.

The V rides better. But has much more body roll. The V also felt much heavier.

The V sound system definitely had better bass and fidelity as others have stated.

The interior of the V is made and assembled with much more care. My V had minimal rattles or creeks. My brand new ZL1 has too many. The back speaker covers rattle like crazy and I’m taking it to the dealer to have it looked at. The doors creek on bumpy pavement. The center console pops and creeks going around corners once and awhile. It’s just annoying in a 70k dollar car.

The MyLink system is really good. It does everything I could need or want. Well except the odd fact that you can’t adjust the brightness on the MyLink screen. It’s just an auto thing depending on the light on the sensor.

Throttle response is slightly better on the ZL1 stock for stock with the V. But after I did a ported throttle body on the ZL1, throttle response and tip in is amazing.

The A10 transmission is excellent. It makes my V auto trans seem like it was broken. Lol

I had recaros in both and the ZL1 is definitely more comfortable.

Over all I’m happy with my trade. The ZL1 looks better IMHO, Handles way better. Sounds great. Feels much quicker stock for stock obviously.
zeroescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
nighthawkra

Thank you so much for your responses!! The stereo is eh since i barely ever listen to music that loud, but the one thing I definitely wanted to addresses what was mentioned above how the car feels lighter than the cts v. On the last time I got my car dynoed my car put down around 592 to the wheels and when I get on it still feels kind of muted and I think it's because of the weight of the vehicle. The last time I drove a ZL1 it just felt like an animal rekindle that excitement. I know that's all you guys have the Autos I did test drive that car but I think my heart is really in the manual personally. There's a used one here for 58k 18 with 1200 miles at a local dealership i might jump on.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawkra View Post
Thank you so much for your responses!! The stereo is eh since i barely ever listen to music that loud, but the one thing I definitely wanted to addresses what was mentioned above how the car feels lighter than the cts v. On the last time I got my car dynoed my car put down around 592 to the wheels and when I get on it still feels kind of muted and I think it's because of the weight of the vehicle. The last time I drove a ZL1 it just felt like an animal rekindle that excitement. I know that's all you guys have the Autos I did test drive that car but I think my heart is really in the manual personally. There's a used one here for 58k 18 with 1200 miles at a local dealership i might jump on.
There are brand new ones around the country going for less. If you are willing to travel, it could be worth it!
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:03 PM   #7
nighthawkra

Hmmm i seen that on cars.com ill have to see they came down to 57 and offered me 33k for my 13 cts v with 50k miles, i might just pull the trigger but im going to see if i can get them a touch lower.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Former 2012 ctsv wagon owner. I miss my vagon from all the attention plus it made 672 to the ground but I needee a house lol and sold it. I went to my 17 6g manual 2ss which wasn't anywhere near enough for me. I did a huge build then sold it. Bought a 16 Z06 and 18 Zl1manual (current). Once you mod the Zl you will never miss your v. I am a stick guy so opted for a manual vs the A10, and daily drive both the Z and Zl1. I miss the bragging rights of having to say I have a v wagon but both my current cars are wayyy more fun! Do it op you won't have any regrets.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:39 AM   #9
nighthawkra

Thanks!! Yeah i ended up going for it and honestly it's been a blast! I been so excited to drive it. My v made 592 to the wheels but was auto, this thing in m6 was just the ticket for me to get excited about driving again!!! Been loving it so far!!
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #10
Exgermanowner

Drives: Bone stock
Nightfall For the Win!
Old 08-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #11
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Well, funny enough I own both of those cars!

The V is an LPE build and makes 660 rwhp conservatively.

The Z, well, not sure what it makes, but it's fast on Track, I went with the A10 and added 1LE aero. My Laptimes at COTA are equal to or faster than any ZL1 1LE on stock tires with stock power I've heard of so far. I'm not a great driver, the A10 is just that great at putting all of the power down off Apex.

Good choice on the car, you'll never regret it!
Attached Images

Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #12
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Congrats, beautiful color!

Great thread and responses. Oh and V-Wagon manual mariojmoe?
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #13
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Congrats, beautiful color!

Great thread and responses. Oh and V-Wagon manual mariojmoe?
I freakin wish bro. It was an A6 (auto). The manual is soooo much more fun
Attached Images

mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #14
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
I freakin wish bro. It was an A6 (auto). The manual is soooo much more fun
Still fantastic - Manual Vagon is on my bucket list...definitely a unicorn car!
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote