Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Track Day! Stock SS vs Modified Audi RS5

I have a long standing rivalry with a friend and our cars. To date he's always come up on the losing end of every race. A few moths ago he bought a 2014 4.2 liter V8 Audi RS5 and has done some mods like X-Pipe with axle back exhaust and Spintech Mufflers, Cold Air Intakes, and a VR Tune (supposedly good for 30 hp) that he says all adds up to an extra 60 hp for a total of 510 hp at the crank. I'm running my bone stock 16 2SS A8. He's been itching to get the cars side by side so he can finally beat me.

Today we finally got a chance to do a track day on a nearby road course so, because attendance was low and their weren't many cars running, the organizers let us play all we wanted. We got to line them up rolling down the long straight and from a stop several times when the track was empty.

We started out with a 50 mph rolling start coming out of turn 9 and onto the long straight. I have to say I was a bit worried and really didn't want to give up my bragging rights that I've retained for a decade, but I wasn't sure how this might turn out. His Audi sounds amazing and I've been in it several times and it pulls hard! Plus I knew his all wheel drive would make the dig race very tough for me to win!

The 50 mph roll was a walk for the SS! I pulled the lever to manual to get the gear and rpm I wanted, stabbed the throttle, and bumped the shifter back into Auto to let the car do it's own shifting. As soon as we hit it the SS jumped an immediate 2 cars on him and by the time we had to break for turn one we were at 145 mph and he was back about 4 cars.

Several more runs down the straight from varying speeds between 10 and 40 mph resulted in the same outcome! Once we topped 100 mph or so the SS would continue a slow pull, but the initial throttle punch resulted in an immediate 2 car lead for the SS regardless of who jumped first.

Of course he was itching to get his all-wheel drive advantage, so after clearing it with the track marshal we lined them up in the 1/4 mile line which is actually the front of the straightaway.

Of course the starting line is totally un-preped so there was no chance of getting any extra traction, and it showed on our first couple runs. I was in Competition Mode with traction control off. Since I've had zero practice in how to launch this car, I smoked the tires through 1st and 2nd the first two runs, but once I got hooked I began pulling him in, but he'd always get off the gas as soon as he got 1/8 mile out.

I tried the Launch Control one time, but was doing something wrong and I'd just spin the tires. I need to figure that out, and I have a feeling I may not have been hard enough on the brake to engage it. So, for our last several runs, I just left the traction control on, brought the rpms up enough to put a load on the torque converter, and punched it. This resulted in a quick bog off the line, followed by rabid acceleration. This technique resulted in him jumping out about half a car, just before the SS rolled past him and kept on pulling away.

All in all I was very happy to find a track where we could safely test our cars against each other, and even happier to retain my bragging rights for another evolution of completion! Roll On SS!
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
Sounds like you had a ton of fun, congrats on retaining the bragging rights!
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
WE have a SQ5 which is the most powerful SUV Audi has in the USA. Stock it was 354hp, it is now tuned with the bolt on stuff making around 440hp.

I looked for a RS5, they are no sloutch but the mods for them are dismal. They are N/A so there isnt much of a following for them in regards to mods, because of being N/A they also dont pick up much power at in when modded either. Unless it was dyno tuned I would doubt the claim of 30hp from the tune.

Those RS5 are pigs as well, they weight a little over 4k lbs. So they are heavier and make less power than the SS. Other than a dig they will have a hard time with the SS.

I raced a RS7 right after I got headers and tuned on E85, me putting down 455rwhp and from a roll I held him off. The RS7 is 43xx lbs and 560hp on forced induction. He slaughtered me off of the line, but that was to be expected.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
WE have a SQ5 which is the most powerful SUV Audi has in the USA. Stock it was 354hp, it is now tuned with the bolt on stuff making around 440hp.

I looked for a RS5, they are no sloutch but the mods for them are dismal. They are N/A so there isnt much of a following for them in regards to mods, because of being N/A they also dont pick up much power at in when modded either. Unless it was dyno tuned I would doubt the claim of 30hp from the tune.

Those RS5 are pigs as well, they weight a little over 4k lbs. So they are heavier and make less power than the SS. Other than a dig they will have a hard time with the SS.

I raced a RS7 right after I got headers and tuned on E85, me putting down 455rwhp and from a roll I held him off. The RS7 is 43xx lbs and 560hp on forced induction. He slaughtered me off of the line, but that was to be expected.
Yeah, I know the RS5 is 4000+ lbs, but at a factory 450 hp plus mods I expected it to give the SS more competition. This friend is notorious for using the mod manufactures “up to xx hp” numbers as gospel, which we all know is never the case, so I figured the hp gains he was quoting were not accurate. He told me he had recently beat a CTSV, so I thought I might be in trouble. The biggest shortfall for the Audi is the lack of tourqe. I think it’s rated at something like 350 tq which isn’t enough to move 4000 lbs even with all. 4 wheels digging.
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
My bet is that he had around a 30 hp increase altogether not much of a gain for that heavy car. I had a 2015 S4 and no first-hand that those cars are very heavy and really only great at dig racing.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote