Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-28-2021, 03:33 PM   #1
DuoMaxwell007

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 2LT
Steering qheel squeks when you turn it

So if Im sitting in park or sitting still (probably happens when driving too but harder to notice with all the other noise) if i turn the wheel hard and last to the left and right I hear a squeaking sound, its not a long squeaking sound of a very loud one (i have to have the car turned off and no music playing or AC fans blowing in order to hear it). Its just a short quick sharp light squeak its not long and continuous as I continue turning. Kinda like the sound made if you quickly turn a door knob that needs to be oiled up a bit or the sound you hear basketball player shoes make when theyre running down the court.

Everything Ive read online says the simplest thing to check is the power steering fluid. But a 2017 Camaro doesnt have power steering fluid its 100% electronic soo what could cause it and should I be worried?
DuoMaxwell007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Why are you turning the steering wheel when not rolling? Did you consider that the tires are squeaking because you are torturing them?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
DuoMaxwell007

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Why are you turning the steering wheel when not rolling? Did you consider that the tires are squeaking because you are torturing them?

tires are made of rubber, wouldnt expect tires to squeak no matter what you do to them while on concrete. Go outside in a pair of tennis shoes and lets see if you can make your shoes make a squeaking sound no matter what you do to them in your driveway (assuming its made of concrete)

Second the squeaking sound is coming from the steering wheel/inside of the car itself, not the tires. Also like i said it probably DOES make that sound when driving too but due to the sound of the AC, engine, music and whatnot I cant hear it, it would be different if the sound I DO hear was loud to begin with, but considering its not, Im DEFINITELY not gonna hear it over all that other noise
DuoMaxwell007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:12 AM   #4
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I get this too but only when the wheel is adjusted all the way down. If I raise it just a little bit it goes away. I haven't really tried to diagnose it, it's definitely not "steering" related its something there in the wheel mechanism.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote