Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-26-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
GM Authority: Chevy Camaro Could Be Replaced By Performance EV Sedan

Link: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/07...omment-1324760

Went on lunch to see this.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Probably faster than V6 ICE camaro bring on the angry pixies.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #3
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Camaro replaced by an EV sedan?

I'd bet on it happening.

Al O is head of the EV team so I'm sure it will be cool. Doesn't mean I'd want it

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:46 PM   #4
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I understand that the only way the camaro can live is if they make an EV version of it. What I don’t understand is why they can’t keep making the ICE performance coupe along side it like Ford and Dodge are planning on doing. If they feel the need to update the performance coupe version just use the already developed alpha 2 chassis and LT2 engine. It’s really not that hard to update it since the camaro is basically a parts bin car (I mean this in a good way since the parts come from good Chevy’s).
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #5
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I understand that the only way the camaro can live is if they make an EV version of it. What I don’t understand is why they can’t keep making the ICE performance coupe along side it like Ford and Dodge are planning on doing. If they feel the need to update the performance coupe version just use the already developed alpha 2 chassis and LT2 engine. It’s really not that hard to update it since the camaro is basically a parts bin car (I mean this in a good way since the parts come from good Chevy’s).
A frickin men. That’s printing money.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
A 4-door sedan, Camaro EV? You can count me out.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #7
hotlap

Quote:
Gen7 Camaro was supposed to be Aplha2 with LT2. That died when they "indefinitely delayed" gen7 and moved Al O to EV development.
Quote:
The current Camaro rides on GM's Alpha platform, which will be phased out in favor of an updated version dubbed A2XX. The A2XX platform underpins the Cadillac CT4 and CT5, while the ATS and CTS used the old Alpha platform. With the Camaro's demise, it will end the Alpha platform's lifespan for good.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...meplate-to-die

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 07-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #8
Envious_Ivy1LE

Drives: Krypton Green V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Probably faster than V6 ICE camaro bring on the angry pixies.
sorry to burst your "holier than thou" bubble.. but if they are going to bother going through the steps of making it truly performance oriented it'll be faster than a ZL1 or ZLE as well. ..
Envious_Ivy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #9
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Stallantis has already announced future versions will be electric. No mention of building both. Ford, I believe has already said the Mustang will also be going EV.

Alpha 2 has already been killed and we know the LT2 doesn't fit and would need to be a new RPO creating even more certification and validation.

Parts bin car? Not really. It's actually a hybrid of ATS/CTS versions of Alpha. A parts bin car would have carry over IP, interior, etc. Camaro is wildly unique. Yes, the shared architecture saved a ton on development cost, but a car now selling 20,000 units per year can't carry all of those costs.

And making a new Camaro off of Alpha 2 with the LT2 (which doesn't fit) is far more work than you are thinking......on an already dead architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
A frickin men. That’s printing money.
Nope, not how it works. An all new Alpha2 Camaro (assuming that it fixes all of the deficiencies the Gen6 car has) with an LTx (as we know, the LT2 won't fit) that would launch on a dead architecture is not what we would call printing money in the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Ivy1LE View Post
sorry to burst your "holier than thou" bubble.. but if they are going to bother going through the steps of making it truly performance oriented it'll be faster than a ZL1 or ZLE as well. ..
It would need to beat at least a Tesla Model 3 to be even remotely credible.

Very simply, the Camaro is not selling near well enough to earn capital from GM even develop a version of the LT2 that would fit. And I could be wrong, but I doubt an LTx making C8 HP does anything for sales. GM isn't going to invest in this.

Last edited by Number 3; 07-26-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:51 PM   #10
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Stallantis has already announced future versions will be electric. No mention of building both. Ford, I believe has already said the Mustang will also be going EV.

Alpha 2 has already been killed and we know the LT2 doesn't fit and would need to be a new RPO creating even more certification and validation.

Parts bin car? Not really. It's actually a hybrid of ATS/CTS versions of Alpha. A parts bin car would have carry over IP, interior, etc. Camaro is wildly unique. Yes, the shared architecture saved a ton on development cost, but a car now selling 20,000 units per year can't carry all of those costs.

And making a new Camaro off of Alpha 2 with the LT2 (which doesn't fit) is far more work than you are thinking......on an already dead architecture.

Nope, not how it works. An all new Alpha2 Camaro (assuming that it fixes all of the deficiencies the Gen6 car has) with an LTx (as we know, the LT2 won't fit) that would launch on a dead architecture is not what we would call printing money in the industry.

It would need to beat at least a Tesla Model 3 to be even remotely credible.

Very simply, the Camaro is not selling near well enough to earn capital from GM even develop a version of the LT2 that would fit. And I could be wrong, but I doubt an LTx making C8 HP does anything for sales. GM isn't going to invest in this.
Yeah. In reality, GM doesn’t care, it’s sad.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #11
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Why I got my Camaro when I did. I wanted the V8 and the Alpha platform and I am going to make it last for as long as I can. With only 2600 miles in a year and a half of ownership I will have it for a long time.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Don't mistake the companies stated purpose with not caring.

There are a lot of people there that are true unabashed car people.

The issue is this. GM could invest $500 million (or more) to do not only the greatest Camaro ever, but also the greatest coupe ever and maybe lead in sales of a dying market segment. Maybe they go from last to first, which still isn't a 100,000 units per year any longer. It's just not worth the investment. There is no ROIC sufficient to justify the investment. And sadly, the King of "Merican Muscle" doesn't have global appeal (that and GM failed miserably trying to take the Chevy brand to Europe)

GM basically has Spark, Malibu, CT4 and CT5 as passenger cars/sedans in the US market. Sadly many other car models are still produced and sold in other markets but not here. GM has backed out of a lot of nameplates simply because they don't carry their weight and the cost to refresh them just gets in the way of their EV future. Remember the days when GM tried to keep Chevy, Saturn, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Hummer fresh with products? GM no longer does things because it's fun to do or demonstrates technology. It does things that make money. And it's pretty clear that Camaro isn't that.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:08 PM   #13
hotlap

Quote:
I’d put it this way. GM will never make another car I’ll care to own.

I’ve spent +200k with Chevy in the past seven years

Ronald Reagan -
Old 07-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #14
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
You are assuming things that are not in evidence. Ford and Stellantis (Dodge’s parent) are still building their BEV plan. I’d put more stock in Ford maintaining some small volume of ICE than I would for Stellantis. As long as there are ICE F150 trucks, there is some basis for peeling off a few engines to keep Mustang going. Neither has said anything even remotely confirming maintaining ICE. Tim Kuniskis (Stellantis head of Performance Products) has stated several times that “electrification is the new performance”. Think maybe he’s greasing the skids for an impending shift in product strategy maybe?

As for Alpha2 + LT2 = better Camaro…. It’s not about a better Camaro. Camaro is already pretty awesome. If GM was predisposed to doing that, it would just make it more awesomer for the same group of people wh already have one. And it would cost more so fewer would buy them. Again, that’s IF GM was predisposed to doing that. But since the two vehicles that use Alpha 2 are absotively, posilutely going BEV, Alpha 2 is dead man walking. And with Alpha 2 on death’s door, Camaro is right behind it.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote