Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 05-16-2022, 09:06 AM   #491
Geebs

Drives: BMW M340i & Model 3 Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
i thought the idea is that the Camaro replacement will be a 4 door sedan.
leaving the vette as gm's 2 door coupe performance car.

so, not an suv... but definitely not what it currently is either. but i think 4 door sedan is really their only option to give it any real kind of market. if they can keep the size below dodge's charger and challenger, existing buyers might overlook the extra doors as a negative.
If they do go 4 door, I really hope it's a sportback style. I used to have a 440i Gran Coupe M Performance Edition and it was the best "do it all" car I've ever owned. Looked like a coupe, had 4 doors, had an automatic hatch that could fit tons of stuff and was AWD so was a beast in any kind of weather. Sounded amazing with the M Performance Exhaust and was fast as hell with a tune.

An electric Camaro obviously won't have the sound but if it had all the other things I listed, I'd be a buyer. I have a ZL1 on order that will share duties with my Model 3 Performance. I don't think you should have to pick between gas and electric. EVs are the best commuting cars that cost very little to run and maintain, making them an excellent choice for use during the week. This frees up your special gas car for weekend duty while also keeping mileage low, fuel costs down etc.

I also put a deposit for a Z06 in October (if/when I get it is anyone's idea). I would love for an electric Camaro Sportback to replace my Tesla while I keep the Z06 as my "forever car". One can dream!
Old 05-16-2022, 11:24 AM   #492
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
The thing for me (and I'd assume many are in the same boat or worse) A level II charger requires a 50amp circuit. My home is only 100amp. I'd have to up my home too a 200amp, then dig up the cable going from my home to my garage to up the size of the cable so that I can up the service in the garage to accommodate a level II charger (or two) depending on if we replace both mine and my wifes car. Then have to have someone wire the garage once the service is upgraded. That is all on top of the cost of the EV.

This is why people need to take advantage of the $7,500 EV tax credit. It will help offset some of the costs of upgrading your home's electric. Hopefully the credit continues to stick around, though.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #493
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
This is why people need to take advantage of the $7,500 EV tax credit. It will help offset some of the costs of upgrading your home's electric. Hopefully the credit continues to stick around, though.
The credit is to cover the inflated cost of the EV its self.

Electric vehicles have a higher upfront cost
The average transaction price for an electric vehicle (EV) is $56,437, according to Kelley Blue Book — roughly $10,000 higher than the overall industry average of $46,329 that includes gas and EVs. In terms of pricing, an EV is equivalent to an entry-level luxury car. (This was as of Dec 2021)

So the $7,500.00 Credit doesn't even cover the cost of the auto. Anything you need to do to your home to accommodate the EV is on you.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:19 PM   #494
MightyBobo

Drives: 2022 VOM 2SS 1LE M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Unfortunately GM has used up it's tax credits a while ago. Build Back Better died in December as well, although Im sure a new version will pop up.

But AFAIK, right now, GM has no EV tax credits to give out.

20211120 - 1100 --- 20211207 - 2500
20211208 - 3000 (TPW: was 20220103, now 20220124)
20211220 - 3400 (TPW: 20220110)
20220114 - 3800 --- 20220122 - 4300 (1LE Wrap Shuffle)
20220125 - 4B00 --- 20220129 - 4200 (Shipped! ETA: 20220223)
20220212 - 4800 --- 20220216 - 6000!

2024 Silverado EV RST First Edition on reserve, as well.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #495
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Had to stop and put gas in the bike this AM. The way the gas prices are going with no end in site... I'm sure EV purchases will start climbing a bit. I think for the average person an EV purchase is still out of reach. They are simply just to expensive for most. (Even with incentives).

The thing for me (and I'd assume many are in the same boat or worse) A level II charger requires a 50amp circuit. My home is only 100amp. I'd have to up my home too a 200amp, then dig up the cable going from my home to my garage to up the size of the cable so that I can up the service in the garage to accommodate a level II charger (or two) depending on if we replace both mine and my wifes car. Then have to have someone wire the garage once the service is upgraded. That is all on top of the cost of the EV.

It just isn't reasonable to consider it. As they become more popular the gov and local state is simply going to shift the taxes from gas to electricity. They've already started to do it in some respects. Renewing your registration here costs more if your vehicle is an EV.

But... like I said, the cost of gas these days with no end in site will do exactly what this administration wants... Begin to force people into at least considering it.

For me... (if i'm forced into an EV in my lifetime) I will get the best bang for my buck. It will be whatever is the best crossover at the time I'm looking. I could carless about anything other then it being an appliance to get me from point A to point B. Many vehicles by then will be autonomous anyway.
Don't think for a second that if EV adoption creeps into the significant range, the price of electricity will not skyrocket as well. Incompetence is incompetence no matter the spin.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
Old 05-16-2022, 01:53 PM   #496
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyBobo View Post
Unfortunately GM has used up it's tax credits a while ago. Build Back Better died in December as well, although Im sure a new version will pop up.

But AFAIK, right now, GM has no EV tax credits to give out.
Yep, same for Tesla. Furthermore, the manufacturers that still have credits tend to mark up their vehicles more anyway.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
Old 05-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #497
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
The credit is to cover the inflated cost of the EV its self.

Electric vehicles have a higher upfront cost
The average transaction price for an electric vehicle (EV) is $56,437, according to Kelley Blue Book — roughly $10,000 higher than the overall industry average of $46,329 that includes gas and EVs. In terms of pricing, an EV is equivalent to an entry-level luxury car. (This was as of Dec 2021)

So the $7,500.00 Credit doesn't even cover the cost of the auto. Anything you need to do to your home to accommodate the EV is on you.
Agreed, also keep in mind that if you can't charge at home then you are stuck paying for the higher rates of the public chargers plus they are starting to add taxes on top of that since they feel EV owners are not paying their fair share for road improvements that typically come from gas taxes.

For example, the cost per KW is .34c at a Supercharger during peak hours in
my area. 300 miles of range is going to cost about $22. Yes, less expensive than $70 of gas but not as cheap as charging at home for .12c per KW.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
Old 05-16-2022, 02:05 PM   #498
MightyBobo

Drives: 2022 VOM 2SS 1LE M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Agreed, also keep in mind that if you can't charge at home then you are stuck paying for the higher rates of the public chargers plus they are starting to add taxes on top of that since they feel EV owners are not paying their fair share for road improvements that typically come from gas taxes.

For example, the cost per KW is .34c at a Supercharger during peak hours in
my area. 300 miles of range is going to cost about $22. Yes, less expensive than $70 of gas but not as cheap as charging at home for .12c per KW.
The price of convenience.

20211120 - 1100 --- 20211207 - 2500
20211208 - 3000 (TPW: was 20220103, now 20220124)
20211220 - 3400 (TPW: 20220110)
20220114 - 3800 --- 20220122 - 4300 (1LE Wrap Shuffle)
20220125 - 4B00 --- 20220129 - 4200 (Shipped! ETA: 20220223)
20220212 - 4800 --- 20220216 - 6000!

2024 Silverado EV RST First Edition on reserve, as well.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:36 PM   #499
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Had to stop and put gas in the bike this AM. The way the gas prices are going with no end in site... I'm sure EV purchases will start climbing a bit. I think for the average person an EV purchase is still out of reach. They are simply just to expensive for most. (Even with incentives).

It just isn't reasonable to consider it. As they become more popular the gov and local state is simply going to shift the taxes from gas to electricity. They've already started to do it in some respects. Renewing your registration here costs more if your vehicle is an EV.

But... like I said, the cost of gas these days with no end in site will do exactly what this administration wants... Begin to force people into at least considering it.

For me... (if i'm forced into an EV in my lifetime) I will get the best bang for my buck. It will be whatever is the best crossover at the time I'm looking. I could carless about anything other then it being an appliance to get me from point A to point B. Many vehicles by then will be autonomous anyway.

I have access to a level 2 charger and they tell me that I should ABC "Always Be Charging". I'm a little old school though and wait until it gets to near 30% before I charge. I generally see it take about 6-8 hours to fully charge, which can be done overnight or while I'm at work if I take my Camaro in or if like at my last job they had chargers nearby.

I am so glad that I decided to trade in my full-sized truck in December as I could only imagine gas prices going up with people returning from COVID. Who knew that we'd see a spike in demand because a tyrant in Eurasia wants to try a land grab, and the greedy oil industry would see this as an opportunity to gouge the rest of us. What gets me about the spike in gas prices is how we're seeing the gas and oil industry produce record profits and everyone wants to shift the blame. Companies are wanting to maximize their profits because they also see what's coming. I say that should be enough to drive people away from these greedy industries.

Like I've said before, if this gets us out of Russian and Saudi Arabian pockets then I'm all for it. I'm actually surprised as to how many people aren't up for giving big oil fat cats an emphatic π**k you! for as much as they've held our country hostage. Hell, has Exxon even paid for all the damage caused by the Valdez oil spill?
Old 05-16-2022, 02:55 PM   #500
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
I have access to a level 2 charger and they tell me that I should ABC "Always Be Charging". I'm a little old school though and wait until it gets to near 30% before I charge. I generally see it take about 6-8 hours to fully charge, which can be done overnight or while I'm at work if I take my Camaro in or if like at my last job they had chargers nearby.

I am so glad that I decided to trade in my full-sized truck in December as I could only imagine gas prices going up with people returning from COVID. Who knew that we'd see a spike in demand because a tyrant in Eurasia wants to try a land grab, and the greedy oil industry would see this as an opportunity to gouge the rest of us. What gets me about the spike in gas prices is how we're seeing the gas and oil industry produce record profits and everyone wants to shift the blame. Companies are wanting to maximize their profits because they also see what's coming. I say that should be enough to drive people away from these greedy industries.

Like I've said before, if this gets us out of Russian and Saudi Arabian pockets then I'm all for it. I'm actually surprised as to how many people aren't up for giving big oil fat cats an emphatic π**k you! for as much as they've held our country hostage. Hell, has Exxon even paid for all the damage caused by the Valdez oil spill?
At what cost to me am I supposed to say FU to the oil companies? As mentioned in my post you quoted... What is the cost of getting my service to my house upgraded. Then getting the line from my house to my garage dug up and upgraded. Then getting the level II chargers wired in my garage once the service to the house and garage are dug up. The repair of the lawn and the repair of the drywall that will need to be ripped down to wire the garage. Then the actual cost of the EV? You know how much gas I can buy for all that cost (even at $5/gallon). Politics are not allowed on this forum so all I'll say about it is gas will drop come Nov, and if it doesn't come down much in Nov it will come back down in 2024 for sure.

If EVs become more popular the taxes will simply be shifted to electricity. Maybe you are skating for now, but it won't remain that way.

It really is just a personal choice right now. It works for some, not so much for others. For me... It doesn't make financial sense.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:28 PM   #501
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
At what cost to me am I supposed to say FU to the oil companies? As mentioned in my post you quoted... What is the cost of getting my service to my house upgraded. Then getting the line from my house to my garage dug up and upgraded. Then getting the level II chargers wired in my garage once the service to the house and garage are dug up. The repair of the lawn and the repair of the drywall that will need to be ripped down to wire the garage. Then the actual cost of the EV? You know how much gas I can buy for all that cost (even at $5/gallon). Politics are not allowed on this forum so all I'll say about it is gas will drop come Nov, and if it doesn't come down much in Nov it will come back down in 2024 for sure.

If EVs become more popular the taxes will simply be shifted to electricity. Maybe you are skating for now, but it won't remain that way.

It really is just a personal choice right now. It works for some, not so much for others. For me... It doesn't make financial sense.

Oh I did forget to touch on that, apologies as I was multitasking. From what I was told, washer/dryer connections are about the same as a level 2, and some auto companies are actually offering home charging stations when you buy their vehicles. I know some are even offering 2 years worth of free charging, although you have to use specific charging stations, which I don't even think I'm near. You can also use just a regular outlet, but charging for 16-ish hours just doesn't seem practical. I say that your best bet is to get a charging station added, and just make sure you look for all the incentives you can in your area for installing such a device. Hell, it might even add to the price of your house when you go to sell.

My personal opinion would be if you have a multi-car household, get the cheapest decently ranged car you can, and just add the charger to the house. And I'm not even saying to abandon your ICE vehicle (as there's no way in hell I'm giving up my ICE). I say just use it to diversify your capabilities. I went to fill up the Camaro the other day and saw $30+ and it just barely needed 5 gallons. I am sure glad I don't have to regularly fill it up even though the 16.7 MPG is probably better than what I was expecting. Charging my EV to give me about 180 miles worth of range costs me about $12 a charge session. While I do wish it was better, I'm glad that it's essentially a fixed expense and not as subject to all the volatility of hostile areas, and the whims of oil execs.

I'm looking forward to gas prices coming back down to earth, but in the meantime am ok with parking the Camaro. I know not everyone has the financial freedom to abandon their ICE, and demand for what EVs are available is limited. But if you can find a way to do it and use the Camaro for the more special moments, here are the least expensive EVs per cars.com. https://www.cars.com/articles/here-a...an-buy-439849/ I'm actually waiting for the derpy IRS to give me my $7500 tax credit. I bought the car on the last week of December knowing that I could get the tax incentive just months later, but sadly I'm still waiting for that check in the mail. Hell, my first thought for the rebate money was to get some go-fast goodies for the Camaro, but I might have to save that money for a rainy day considering how things are going.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:35 PM   #502
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
Oh I did forget to touch on that, apologies as I was multitasking. From what I was told, washer/dryer connections are about the same as a level 2, and some auto companies are actually offering home charging stations when you buy their vehicles. I know some are even offering 2 years worth of free charging, although you have to use specific charging stations, which I don't even think I'm near. You can also use just a regular outlet, but charging for 16-ish hours just doesn't seem practical. I say that your best bet is to get a charging station added, and just make sure you look for all the incentives you can in your area for installing such a device. Hell, it might even add to the price of your house when you go to sell.

My personal opinion would be if you have a multi-car household, get the cheapest decently ranged car you can, and just add the charger to the house. And I'm not even saying to abandon your ICE vehicle (as there's no way in hell I'm giving up my ICE). I say just use it to diversify your capabilities. I went to fill up the Camaro the other day and saw $30+ and it just barely needed 5 gallons. I am sure glad I don't have to regularly fill it up even though the 16.7 MPG is probably better than what I was expecting. Charging my EV to give me about 180 miles worth of range costs me about $12 a charge session. While I do wish it was better, I'm glad that it's essentially a fixed expense and not as subject to all the volatility of hostile areas, and the whims of oil execs.

I'm looking forward to gas prices coming back down to earth, but in the meantime am ok with parking the Camaro. I know not everyone has the financial freedom to abandon their ICE, and demand for what EVs are available is limited. But if you can find a way to do it and use the Camaro for the more special moments, here are the least expensive EVs per cars.com. https://www.cars.com/articles/here-a...an-buy-439849/ I'm actually waiting for the derpy IRS to give me my $7500 tax credit. I bought the car on the last week of December knowing that I could get the tax incentive just months later, but sadly I'm still waiting for that check in the mail. Hell, my first thought for the rebate money was to get some go-fast goodies for the Camaro, but I might have to save that money for a rainy day considering how things are going.
It always makes for good conversation.

EV isn't in my future. At this point I'd never even consider it. I'm 1.8 miles from work. I'd ride my bicycle before I bought an EV. $5/gallon gas really doesn't effect me, even driving the Camaro or Tahoe. I just don't go through a lot of gas. If I don't have a couple busy weekends a tank of gas in my Tahoe can easily last a month. Especially spring - fall as much of the time I'm riding my Harley. 40+mpg. Cost of an EV just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by jamala00; 05-16-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:40 PM   #503
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyBobo View Post
The price of convenience.
No, the price of wokeism.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:49 PM   #504
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
It always makes for good conversation.

EV isn't in my future. At this point I'd never even consider it. I'm 1.8 miles from work. I'd ride my bike before I bought an EV. $5/gallon gas really doesn't effect me, even driving the Camaro or Tahoe. I just don't go through a lot of gas. If I don't have a couple busy weekends a tank of gas in my Tahoe can easily last a month. Especially spring - fall as much of the time I'm riding my Harley. 40+mpg. Cost of an EV just doesn't make any sense.
I figure it's not the solution for everyone, and I'm not going to lie but if I didn't have my ICE as a backup, I wouldn't get into an EV unless I had a fast charger installed in my home. My EV as my daily is a test on whether I can live with one on a more permanent basis. I liken it to when I decided to cut my landline to see if I could live only on my cell phone. It's funny how many similar changes we've made in the past decades that seemed crazy at first, but because we use our vehicles as a form of identity, it's a much more difficult choice to make. I'm almost looking forward to a street filled with nothing but electric vehicles just so I can tool about in my "retro-Camaro" revving at everyone.

Closed Thread