Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #15
TheWiseWolf

Drives: Camaro
Might be the Rona.
TheWiseWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #16
PhantomV8

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Hey all!

Thank you for the responses.

To answer your question, my Camaro has the A8 automatic transmission.

From a full stop, if you floor the gas pedal the car will take off like normal and the RPMs will climb to about 4 or 5k and then it almost feels like the car locks up, coming to a hault and the gas pedal just revs instead of propelling the car forward.

When this happens, I have seen the oil pressure gauge climb towards the red.

This lasts for a few seconds and then I am able to accelerate normally again.

Any ideas?
PhantomV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #17
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Sounds like you are hitting the rev limiter and the fueling stops to the engine until the revs come back down and then the fueling starts running the engine again.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #18
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Sounds like you are hitting fuel cut. Take a video and post it up so we can get a better idea of what it is doing?
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #19
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
I thought redline was 6500 for the SS. If you are hitting a limiter before this, maybe someone messed with the tune. Are you the original owner of this car? If not, maybe the person who owned it before had a tuner and screwed something up in the settings.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #20
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Sounds like you are hitting the rev limiter and the fueling stops to the engine until the revs come back down and then the fueling starts running the engine again.
If he has an auto I would think it would be shifting to next gear before hitting the limiter.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #21
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Not sure MackSteel as I have a 6 speed. I’m wondering if the car has been tuned for mods also instead of being stock.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #22
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Not sure MackSteel as I have a 6 speed. I’m wondering if the car has been tuned for mods also instead of being stock.
Yeh...mine is also a stick. Not sure how these new Automatics work. I never was much good at driving an Automatic any way.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #23
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
After your second description, it sounds suspiciously like you torque converter is starting to fail. I would have it looked at. Because, by your description, it isn't really jerking you back, it just stops accelerating.I believe it is the coverter unlocking then re-engaging. My 2 cents. Good luck.

Last edited by Jb54; 04-29-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Edit
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #24
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb54 View Post
After your second description, it sounds suspiciously like you torque converter is starting to fail. I would have it looked at. Because, by your description, it isn't really jerking you back, it just stops accelerating.I believe it is the coverter unlocking then re-engaging. My 2 cents. Good luck.
I agree. There is no way an automatic is going to act like this unless something is very wrong. Even in manual mode, the transmission will go back into auto if you don't shift up in time. Your transmission is hanging up between 1st and 2nd, just like if I were doing a no lift shift and missed second gear. Clutch in, foot to the floor, revs through the roof, until rev limiter kicks in. Which if your car is allowing to over rev, you have two problems...perhaps related.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote