Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #1
hfur
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Chevy camaro
car buying questions

Anyone know what the deal is on dealers "trade" from one dealer to another? I have tried without luck for three different dealers close to my house to trade for a particular vehicle. is the reason the other chevy dealer wont trade because of they want to hold onto their car because it might be valuable, even though it still sits on the lot for weeks? Is it because the dealer wont trade because there is nothing on the "lot" of the other dealer to trade with? Because my trade in (i do owe on it) and credit are great. It may seem funny to some people but the car I want is 2 states over, and I just cant get there. (taking care of very elderly mother and cant leave her side for the 5-7 hours i am sure it will take.) I am also concerned to buy out of state because the car that I would by from I would like the dealer to be no more than 10-15 miles from my house, in case something goes wrong or whatever....Any advice or suggestions?
hfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
Have you contacted the dealer where the car is? Many people buy from out of state dealers these days. Regardless of where you purchase, you can have it serviced at the dealer of your choice.
2018 Kenetic Blue Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab (8A)
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
You can still have the car serviced at whatever dealer you want that's close to you.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
If you find a new Camaro out of state that you want to buy then it should pose no problems if you buy it. Just contact the dealer and talk to the sales staff and see what kind of deal they offer you for the new car and your trade. I bought my last 3 Camaros out of town and the dealerships took care of all the paperwork and details of the sale. 2 were out of state and 1 was a city 45 miles from home in the same state and I had trades for all 3 sales. Like others have said, no worries about getting your new Camaro serviced in your home town. Good luck and no worries!��

Last edited by LT4Greg; 08-04-2020 at 09:22 PM.
LT4Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #5
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Sorry that your mother is not well, that is a most difficult situation to be in.

The real problem right now is that most dealers, around here in Texas, and I'm sure the Northeast is just as bad, have really thin inventories. They weren't building cars for a good while. The CDJR dealership I work at is having big time issues. We are among the highest volume Ram and Jeep dealers, and were down to just a few Wranglers, when we typically carry over 40 at any given time. Same way with the trucks, we are at about 1/3 of normal stock.

Scat Packs, forget about it, they sell almost before they get off the truck.

It's really difficult to get any dealer to give up any high line, or specialty vehicles right now.

To answer the question how it works, it's pretty simple, we either trade for similar invoice, or need plus or minus money, or buy outright from the other dealer. It is something that dealers don't really like to do, there is a bit of front end loss as well the time and expense to get the vehicle.

If you want a Camaro right now, either re-prioritize your must have's and your want to have's, and stay local. Or call upon the dealer that has the car you want, work the deal remotely, and then arrange for shipping to your house. Best case scenario is that the dealer can e-sign the documents. Worst case is they overnight the paperwork, you sign and overnight back. They will not release the car to you until it is funded, meaning dealership gets the money from the lender. If you have Tier 1 credit, that shouldn't take long.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:48 AM   #6
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Dealers close to each other (within say 100 miles) typically do not do "swaps". Even the dealers further away that will "swap", usually do it with another dealer for a "favor"- in other words swap me now and I'll swap you later for a different vehicle. Vehicles in demand or low on inventory dealers are reluctant to swap.

I would find the car you want at a dealer anywhere in your state and as others have said get ti serviced at your local dealer. You may not get the "perks" like free car washes or other things although they still are obligated to service your car.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfur View Post
Anyone know what the deal is on dealers "trade" from one dealer to another? I have tried without luck for three different dealers close to my house to trade for a particular vehicle. is the reason the other chevy dealer wont trade because of they want to hold onto their car because it might be valuable, even though it still sits on the lot for weeks? Is it because the dealer wont trade because there is nothing on the "lot" of the other dealer to trade with? Because my trade in (i do owe on it) and credit are great. It may seem funny to some people but the car I want is 2 states over, and I just cant get there. (taking care of very elderly mother and cant leave her side for the 5-7 hours i am sure it will take.) I am also concerned to buy out of state because the car that I would by from I would like the dealer to be no more than 10-15 miles from my house, in case something goes wrong or whatever....Any advice or suggestions?
There are a myriad of reasons that trades between dealers aren't happening, especially in certain areas of the countries. The biggest issue is dealing with the various aspects of COVID. Here are just a few possibilities...

- Runners: Many times, the people that drive the cars between dealerships are older, retired folks that take the runner jobs "on their schedules" for a few extra bucks. With risks of COVID being higher to older people, they may be much more hesitant to take a job.

- Staff levels: Dealerships have been running on skeleton staffs to the point that all of the actual "managers" are doing the work now with the "regular staff" being furloughed. They are laser-focused on "keeping the lights on" and not taking on extra effort items that don't bring profits into the dealerships right away.

- Trade vehicles: If you're at Dealer A and want them to get you a Camaro from Dealer B, Dealer B is going to want something in trade that they don't currently have that they can actually sell. Dealer A may well not have anything of interest to offer.

- Back-end cash: The original, receiving dealership of a new car gets paid when it sells, regardless of what dealership actually inks the deal. If you're at Dealer A and Dealer B has the car you want, Dealer A wants to send a car of theirs that will sell quick to Dealer B so they (Dealer A) get the back-end cash to shore up your deal. They may not have something that meets this criteria.

- "Just because". Some dealerships don't trade. Period. There was a dealership in Eastern MA that had two or three instances of a truck I wanted but no local dealerships in CT had anything in stock. No matter how many times my local dealership reached out, the one in Eastern MA wouldn't even respond.

There's plenty of other reasons, I'm sure. Just bite the bullet and take a drive. I drove out to Northeastern MA in early June to buy my Camaro because there simply weren't any dealer-to-dealer trades happening at all. Fine by me... I got a respectable price and love having the car.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
Juise99
HPDE

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfur View Post

I had a similar issue when I purchased my ZL1 1LE. So I just drove the two hours and purchased the vehicle from the original dealer. As far as warranty issues any authorized dealer can take care of you, you may even be able to purchase an extended warranty from the dealer that close to you.
Juise99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #9
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
I've traveled to buy several of my vehicles. My 95 Integra GSR, 03 Cobra, 88 Mustang GT, 02 Camaro I all bought out of state. Even flew up to NJ and bought my Lightning back in 2010 and drove it back here to SC the same day. My 19 SS 1LE I drove 80 miles or so to Darlington to get. Even back in 01 I drove about 4-4.5 hours to get my old GSR. Remember taking it on opening night with some of my friends to see TF&TF thinking I a pimp rocking a GSR. (Everyone into imports was rocking their Civics, Accords, Eclipses, etc, etc) I was 19 at the time, lol.

Nothing wrong with travelling to get what you want for a deal you're willing to pay. Generally I'll either finance it beforehand, get it refinanced with my local credit union who always gives me the best rates.

I will say I drove to ATL once to buy this roller 1990 Mustang LX SSP car, and ended up not buying it and driving back. It looked like a nice rolling chassis on Craigslist, but was a rotted out POS in reality. He wanted $3K for it, and this was in 2010. The guy was like, "but it's a SSP car with the 140 MPH speedometer," and I'm like "I don't give a chit." He then wanted me to give him an offer on it which I wouldn't do as I would even attempt to build a track car (much less a street car) off that rusted out POS. I was thinking, "you give my a few hundred buck and I take the time to haul it off for you." I would of taken that thing straight to a scrap yard. I was pissed at that guy. In the pictures it looked like a nice notch roller, and he was telling me it was rust free, etc, and that thing was eaten up with rust, it had just been painted out, but it was bubbling out the paint, the rear glass was missing when I got there, and where the glass sits was ate up with rust. So if it's a situation where you're buying an old car like that off Craigslist then I would tell you to be mindful before making the effort only to be disappointed. A newer car with a clean Carfax/AutoCheck should be a safer buy, especially if it's from a dealership.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote