#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
supercharged680

Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3 , Golf MK7 R
Lightbulb Buying a 2018 Camaro A10 From a 991 GT3 owner's perspective

Hi Everyone,

I already did my however i would like to know more details about how the ZL1 acts on the street/track and how the transmission behaves compared to the A8 as well as Porsche PDK and BMW DCT.

It would be much easier to drive the car however being in Dubai with a monopoly dealer test drives for the ZL1 and camaros in general are not available so i would hate myself if i went ahead and bought a car without driving it before, even Mclaren and Ferrari had given me their top model for 24 hours!

I also do not know anyone here with a ZL1 since they are very uncommon but it would be weird to find someone on the street and just ask them for a ride

A few things i would like to know is how does the A10 shift when u click the pedal, how responsive is it and the speed it shifts at, as well as downshift response and speed and regular driving comparing to dual clutch transmissions since GM claims and for the second time that its faster than the PDK after driving the A8 it was a big flop so how does this new 10 speed compare?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/pors...maro-zl1-auto/ 10 speed claim

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-pdk-heres-how 8 speed claim back in 2014

Thanks!
supercharged680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
1st off Welcome to the forum...

The A10 trans is absolutely amazing. From daily driving to race it seamlessly transitions between each. Shifts both up and down are super fast. Just a simple blip of the throttle and it goes into "performance shift" mode

Bottom line is you won't be disappointed in this trans and cannot even be compared to the A8. They are in two different leagues.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
I have to Agree with mlee, the A10 is amazing. Had a 16SS with the A8 and there is no comparison.
I have 2 friends that have New ZR1's and ZL1's, and both wish the A10 was in the Vette also!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #4
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
The a10 is amazing.....but it’s still a tq converter auto. The upshifts at WOT are incredibly fast and snappy, but downshifts and part throttle shifts are not as crisp/instantaneous as a PDK or similar dual clutch.

Took mine on a spirited 7/10ths mountain run a couple weeks back and was kinda irked that the trans just doesn’t perform as aggressively as it does when driving 9/10+.

That being said it’s BY FAR the most bad ass auto ever created. But it still falls shy of DCT performance IMO.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
There is another member in here from Dubai. Maybe he will chime in. Maybe he is close to you to meet up.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I tracked a brand new GT3 in July and was blown away by the trans. If you're leaving both in Automatic, I think the A10 will easily go head to head with it, the A10 shifts themselves are faster (however slight) and from what I can remember, the A10 is more aggressive with downshifts. The PDK when I was tracking it in auto would like to settle down and you'd really have to put your foot down to 80%+ throttle before it would get back into aggressive shifting. While with the A10, tapping the throttle IMMEDIATELY wakes it up, downshifts aggressively and it holds gears, the more you push the car, the more aggressive it gets. For backroads and track use, it's great.

Now, for manual shifting, it's NOT EVEN CLOSE. The PDK is the benchmark for transmissions for a reason. It can drive in auto like a great torque converter automatic. But it can paddle shift with the best of them/or better too. Paddle response is instantaneous. The shifts are quick, smooth and exhilarating. The A10 is much better than the A8 in the Z06 when it comes to manual paddle shifts, but it's still not in the realm of a great DCT like the PDK.

All in all, I probably would take a GT3 over a ZL1 in about every circumstance except pure HP and ease of modification. The precision, 9000 RPM sound, and the handling, really just appeal to me. If I was more of a Porsche guy, I'd be buying one right now. Unfortunately for my wallet, my favorite supercars are McLarens and Ferraris so I'm keeping an eye out for one of those...
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
1. ZL1= massive, effortless Torque. GT3 is torque-less and a winder. This gives you a wider choice in gears, more margin for error.

2. A10 is AWESOME--I sold a 2014 Viper GTS for the ZL1.

3. GT3 for sure is a precision instrument with great sound and quality.

4. ZL1 also has great V8 sound.

5. New GT3 or GT3 RS will be 300%++ of the cost of the ZL1 (at least in the US).

6. ZL1 has more utility.

7. If I take my ZL1 to the track for a HPDE, I will most likely put it in Track Mode, select one of the Competition sub modes, use Castrol SRF and not paddle shift the car. So any PDK advantage here would not be something I would use unless the transmission in either car just refused to kick down when needed. As noted above, the GT3 MUST be in its stratospheric power band to get down and boogie given its lack of torque.

8. Both cars look bada@@ and the ZL1 gives up nothing here.

9. ZL1 is much easier and much less expensive to modify and to add significant extra power. There is really no alternative here for the GT3--already maxed out.

10. If you really want a track beast, then pretty sure that a ZL1 1LE will devour the GT3 and likely the GT3 RS, but not the $400k USD+ GT2 RS.

Good luck with your selection!
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
DavidStrLondon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I don't own a ZL1,nor a Porsche, but the price point of the 2 cars is totally different.
ZL1 is expensive ,but nowhere as expensive as a Porsche.
I believe it is a miracle of performance for the price,but we can t expect to be at that level,everywhere.
But again I don't own a ZL1...yet
DavidStrLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
PorkchopExpress

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Garnet Red
I had a 2009 BMW M3 with DCT and absolutely loved it. Everyone always said that it was like an auto-shifting manual (which I didn't understand until I owned one), including when you could feel the clutch engage\disengage when you slow down and start to hear the clunking at parking lot speeds.

The A10, in my opinion, is a completely different experience. It's still an automatic. That being said, it shifts very fast, and with 10 gears, you're always making power. It's the opposite than the DCT. I wouldn't bother shifting with the paddles as the A10 is very intuitive (at least for my mediocre driving).
PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:32 PM   #10
SpeedLimit

Drives: 2019 F150
Welcome, It's still an automatic... I commute around town in track mode unless I need to intermittently push down on the accelerator then manual mode is used. The software in the A10 isn't that great as it will refuse to down shift when the car is ++ boost with the motor lugging around 2k rpms in sport mode. Up-shifts are pretty quick in any driving mode. Downshifts are a little rough unless you mange to get into performance mode then it's a completely different car on deceleration. Getting into performance mode for the A10 is somewhat unpredictable when street driving...

The transmission works surprisingly well with the engine speed management shifting when spark gets cut to the engine... also 10 speed
SpeedLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
likerage

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
The trans is great in auto around town. When racing, the trans didn't blow me away with traction control on. When I turn TC off and place in an aggressive mode its a solid 9/10.

The trans is not great in manual around town. It can get clumsy from time to time. You will never, ever, ever, confuse it was a DCT. When racing I was constantly losing track of which gears I was in (there are tons of them), but it was snapping to gear quickly and never got clumsy or confused. Im no pro on the track though.
likerage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:14 PM   #12
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
The A10 in normal mode is perfect for everyday use whether in traffic or on the highway. The shifts are quick and smooth yet aggressive enough to enjoy the car. It downshifts in the blink of an eye. It is very well behaved. But all you have to do is blip the throttle and it'll give you everything you want instantly. I say it's like a psycho girlfriend who can keep it together at dinner with the parents just long enough before she is ripping off your clothes once they leave the table. You will thoroughly enjoy it. Especially at the price you'll pay for it.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:41 AM   #13
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I have a 2017 A10 from a 997 GT3 Owner's perspective
Raced both. The A10 works really well in Auto mode and I find that mode best for racing.

I do drive the ZL1 around town in track mode and manually shift. It is fine for that and I find it enjoyable but shifts are not quite as fast and seamless as in auto mode. I find the rev matching not always getting the shift perfect with an occasional decel or slight accel. Not much but enough to upset the car if I was at 10/10ths. Still, I find the shifts acceptable for street driving and think the A10 is amazing. The instant downshift (as mentioned above) is really great.

Now the cars are completely different. You feel the mass of the ZL1, but it dances quite well. The ZL1 is definitely faster in pretty much every measurable way from my old 997. You get much more torque to play with. It handles differently, and you have to manage tire slip a lot more to be fast. They are both great cars in their own right.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:50 AM   #14
supercharged680

Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3 , Golf MK7 R
Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Which mode do you guys usually use on track, i find not touching anything on the GT3 is pretty good since it would let u have fun as you wish however it does kick in only if you are doing something wrong which i find very good.

Just confuses me how many traction control levels GM has and what they do individually.

I will be booking the car in the next week or two. Can't wait!

Ahmad-
supercharged680 is offline   Reply With Quote