Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #2367
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
It almost comes down to personal preference. The 2018 GT is a great car and so is the Camaro. I think the Camaro has a better manual shifter, handles better, and has better low end. I also think the 1ss 1LE is the best performance bargain and best looking of either.

But visibility IS much better on the Mustang (I've owned a '15). But both are good. You won't be suffering with either one..
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #2368
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I think the problem is that some of you guys want to rub it in but you can't because nothing special happened here. LOL!! Ford built a lame GT in 2015. GM built an awesome performing SS that did everything extremely well and took it to the best that Ford could muster. We upped the ante by one tier level for every level of the Camaro. ANd the ZL1 was completely untouchable. Ford had to scramble and needed a crap load of help and time and money to put together something that could finally fight back after years of getting slapped around, lol!! So here we are and you guys think we should feel bad or be impressed or what. I'm actually glad Ford put up some fight. Because for years you guys tried to downplay things about the Camaro and tried to say it wasn't that much better. Now that the GT finally caught up you guys realize exactly how far behind you were all this time. SS destroys GT and you guys are like "it isn't that much faster"...GT matches the SS and you guys are frothing at the mouths and fapping to it, haha!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:02 AM   #2369
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
well it did beat the 1LE's best time at VIR. that's good enough for the non nut huggers of the world.
That's very true. A very respectable time. I think the time shows that the PP2 can run just as fast if not faster than the 1LE. That is my opinion, I don't feel confident stating that if fact just yet, based on the evidence we have.

Different days, different non-pro drivers. If someone wants to hang their hat on that, they certainly can and they may just be proven right. I am going to wait and see what really shakes out when Randy runs these things H2H before I jump to conclusions, it isn't good enough for all non nut huggers.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #2370
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
I could really care less if the Mustang won or finished a tick behind like it did at LS because the 1LE is that good, but after listening to how superior the Alpha chassis is to S550 and how Ford engineers just aren't as good as GM's it is just a bit satisfying to see the PP2 pull out a win and watch the salt shake out.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #2371
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
^^GM's engineers did it 2 going on 3 years ago and did it right the first time, so yes, I'd say they are superior. Ford finally closed in on the times, great, but the whole package is still lacking.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #2372
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
I could really care less if the Mustang won or finished a tick behind like it did at LS because the 1LE is that good, but after listening to how superior the Alpha chassis is to S550 and how Ford engineers just aren't as good as GM's it is just a bit satisfying to see the PP2 pull out a win and watch the salt shake out.
You make it insanely hard to believe that you could not care less.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #2373
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
You make it insanely hard to believe that you could not care less.
I just summed up for you the extent of the value of what these cars are capable of on track holds for me. My kind of racing has no turns and requires minimal braking.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #2374
1295/SS

Drives: 87 GNX 87 Turbo T '13 CTS-V
Quote:
I just summed up for you the extent of the value of what these cars are capable of on track holds for me. My kind of racing has no turns and requires minimal braking.
Uh, you missed the point.
1295/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #2375
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1295/SS View Post
Uh, you missed the point.
highly probable.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #2376
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
well it did beat the 1LE's best time at VIR. that's good enough for the non nut huggers of the world.
Remember when Randy Pobst drove the 2017 ZL1 at Big Willow two times in three months?

1:26.15 - March 2017
1:27.90 - May 2017

Same driver, same track, same car, different day. 1.75 second difference.

The SS 1LE wasn’t there so the PP2 beat nothing

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:32 PM   #2377
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
The GT had Pilot Sport Cup tires that are basically unusable on the street. If the Camaro 1LE had them put on, it probably would have had the same time as the Mustang.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #2378
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Here is MT's testing of the PP2. It came in 0.65 secs behind the 1LE and 0.3 seconds behind in the figure 8.

"Although our Best Driver's Car competition is by no means a numbers game, the 2018 Mustang GT Perf Pack 2 really needed to smack down its archnemesis, the Camaro SS 1LE that finished fourth here in 2016. The Mustang, unfortunately, missed that bogey, subjectively and objectively.

First the objective: A lap-time gap of 0.65 second at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca is a lifetime. It even trails the Chevy by 0.3 second on our tiny figure-eight course. Time lost between the corners as a result of the Mustang's 35-lb-ft torque deficit is easily forgiven for its fabulous soundtrack.
"

Link:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford...car-contender/
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #2379
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
The GT had Pilot Sport Cup tires that are basically unusable on the street. If the Camaro 1LE had them put on, it probably would have had the same time as the Mustang.
Well, there is a guy on this forum who says he has tried SC2's and another tire on his 1LE and saw no improvement. Then there is the test from last gen where the Z28 wheel/tire package was put on a 1LE with minimal gains. So you can make that argument but the best evidence I have seen says the 1LE's tires are very good.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #2380
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Wider sc2 tires and retuned suspension to suit Woukd guaranteed help. To say otherwise is pretty ignorant. Just throwing on different tires is a pretty half assed comparison and not very accurate if the car isn’t setup to accommodate. It’s like adding a SC in a drag car but not improving the suspension or tire etc. flawed comparison

Why wouldn’t wider and stickier tires help if properly setup?

But for the record I’ve always thought that argument was bullshit. It’s not what it came with. If we are arguing stock vs stock. Can’t just start replacing things to suit the comparison. A different tire is the same as any other mod.

I’d just like to see a same day head to head test. It’s obvious they are very close. But the problem is the pp2 can’t be tracked effectively. It’s not as good a track car simply because of this period when comparing stock for stock.

I think depending on the track it will go either way. But in the end the mustang can’t complete a session when stock. So it’s a half hearted victory even if it can pu together 1 or two fast laps. They haven’t quite done it yet but kudos to ford for doing pretty good I suppose
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote