Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
Gen 5 ZL1 vs Gen 6 ZL1

So before anybody dismisses this thread....take a second to read it. Typically when the next iteration of a vehicle is produced, especially a performance vehicle, it's designed to be a better, evolved form of it's predecessor. Although the Z06 by name, was not a direct replacement for the ZR1, it did take the place of the king of corvettes for the C7. Interestingly enough, aside from paper comparisons...I cannot find a single head to head professionally or illegally done. Why is it that there are no real life comparisons of the two cars in straight line acceleration, or on a track? So, posing that question leads me to the topic of this thread. Do you think we will see some guys racing the gen 5 ZL1s against the gen 6, in either some youtube video or a legitimate head to head comparison done by car and driver, motor trend..etc? I would love to see how the 5th gen compares stock for stock when the 6th gen hits the streets. I say this because by all paper measures the new ZL1 will be better, but how much and how so? I've heard plenty of guys who've owned ZR1s or known someone who did say they believe the ZR1s are quicker on the strip. Again, we can discuss times and stats, but wouldn't empirical evidence be better?
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
The Gen 6 will do everything better as it should. My only concern at this point is the durability of the rear end in the Gen 6?
Old 05-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
The Gen 6 will do everything better as it should. My only concern at this point is the durability of the rear end in the Gen 6?
The rear end through the a8 has handled 9 second 1/4 mile passes so far
Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

They did over 800 hard launches on the Gen 5 rear end, will the Gen 6 be as bombproof?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
KyleL

Drives: Slow
I can't imagine stronger components being replaced with weaker ones on what's supposed to be a better car.

Here's to hoping though lol
Old 05-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

I think the release said an electric limited slip, but I didn't hear if it was more track focused or 1/4 mile?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
I can't imagine stronger components being replaced with weaker ones on what's supposed to be a better car.

Here's to hoping though lol
Not necessarily weaker, but a different purpose.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:53 PM   #8
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
So before anybody dismisses this thread....take a second to read it. Typically when the next iteration of a vehicle is produced, especially a performance vehicle, it's designed to be a better, evolved form of it's predecessor. Although the Z06 by name, was not a direct replacement for the ZR1, it did take the place of the king of corvettes for the C7. Interestingly enough, aside from paper comparisons...I cannot find a single head to head professionally or illegally done. Why is it that there are no real life comparisons of the two cars in straight line acceleration, or on a track? So, posing that question leads me to the topic of this thread. Do you think we will see some guys racing the gen 5 ZL1s against the gen 6, in either some youtube video or a legitimate head to head comparison done by car and driver, motor trend..etc? I would love to see how the 5th gen compares stock for stock when the 6th gen hits the streets. I say this because by all paper measures the new ZL1 will be better, but how much and how so? I've heard plenty of guys who've owned ZR1s or known someone who did say they believe the ZR1s are quicker on the strip. Again, we can discuss times and stats, but wouldn't empirical evidence be better?
I doubt that we see any direct head to head comparisons. We will see the 6th gen ZL1 tested at most of the same tracks and will have plenty of track times to compare. There is no real value in a head to head between these two models. That's my two cents.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #9
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #10
Tim Adams

Drives: 2020 Elkhart Lake Blue 1LT Z51 C8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
The rear end through the a8 has handled 9 second 1/4 mile passes so far
Axles have snapped on cars already. You on borrowed time with a stock rear suspension trying to run low10's or 9's.

That being said there can't be any way the suspension components will be the same between the SS and ZL-1

2020 C8 ordered!!

"The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches"

www.timadamsphotography.com
Tim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #11
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
The most you're going to be able to do is some bench racing with magazine times. Aside from Camaro enthusiasts I don't think there's much interest in a comparo of 2 cars the average person has never heard of.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
I think, and this is just my opinion, that it doesn't matter. With the limited time and resources these magazines have to test and review vehicles...they spend it on competitor vehicles or an in-depth review, rather than put it up against an antiquated version of itself.

YouTube bloggers? Maybe...would be interesting, but again...nothing that we didn't already assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
They did over 800 hard launches on the Gen 5 rear end, will the Gen 6 be as bombproof?
This number keeps changing every time it's quoted. I don't even remember what the test procedure called for, anymore...But suffice to say it was a lot.

What does not get shared quite as often is that they did the same thing with the SS, and the Z/28...it's one of the standard internal tests they do on their performance cars.

Where the ZL1 excelled was in using a cast-iron differential and mammoth axles. The assembly was said to be worth over 1000hp for people that intended to slap drag radials on the car and do that sort of thing. The upside is: It worked...very well. The downside was: It added many many pounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adams View Post
That being said there can't be any way the suspension components will be the same between the SS and ZL-1
Believe it or not, many mechanical suspension components are shared between all models, and some are even shared between the Camaro and the Cadillacs. This is part of what makes Alpha a shared architecture.

That said, there will be extensive tuning and calibration...everywhere from bushing stiffness and stabilizer bar thickness to MR damping programs.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #13
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
It's called the Woodward Launch Test
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #14
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I would assume that the new ZL1 would still have a rear at least as strong as the outgoing model. We know that the new car will be a couple hundred lighter but that loss is from the switch to the new platform. I'm thinking that because the losses are pretty consistent across the camaro lineup, the heavy zl1 specific rear might still be under the back of the beast.
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote