Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-14-2023, 07:46 PM   #15
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22LT1Camaro View Post
Any of the features, including the OnStar Smart Driver program, I avoid like the plague because they share and report your data to StateFarm (which can impact premiums for some people) and to third party reporting agencies.

Large thread on that info here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610488

So, free or not, simply know that any app features that involve reporting between the car and the app will include OnStar--and if that equipment isn't disabled by calling OnStar (read the thread for that info) that your data is probably being shared and possibly sold.
This is not accurate.

Even with the OnStar equipment in the car and "active", it does not transmit any of your driving data to GM. They do collect data about the car that pertains to things like oil life, tire air pressure, and similar for the purposes of sending you the regular "checkup" email about the vehicle.

If you Unenroll from Smart Driver, the transmission of the data to GM stops.

Whether you have OnStar, have active equipment, or have even physically REMOVED the radio, your call is collecting a -lot- of telemetry data and storing it in what is referred to as a "black box." The data stored there is for a short window of time into the past and is frequently sought out when there are trials for auto accidents. Lawyers will attempt to acquire the data to use it against the person at fault to win a settlement (and the data, if available, is generally admissible in court).
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 07:58 PM   #16
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
This is not accurate.

Even with the OnStar equipment in the car and "active", it does not transmit any of your driving data to GM. They do collect data about the car that pertains to things like oil life, tire air pressure, and similar for the purposes of sending you the regular "checkup" email about the vehicle.

Whether you have OnStar, have active equipment, or have even physically REMOVED the radio, your call is collecting a -lot- of telemetry data and storing it in what is referred to as a "black box." The data stored there is for a short window of time into the past and is frequently sought out when there are trials for auto accidents. Lawyers will attempt to acquire the data to use it against the person at fault to win a settlement (and the data, if available, is generally admissible in court).
I simply deactivated my Smart Driver
Attached Images

SSShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:15 PM   #17
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
You mean those 400 hard accelerations and 300 hard brakes and 100% time spent over 80 mph last month doesn't say I'm a safe driver? Lol.
Does it tell you when you brake too early or blow an apex?
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:27 PM   #18
shoe5163

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary SS
You can haggle with them and get different levels of service, I get wifi and remote start with diagnostics for about $21 a month. Perfect for Android Auto Waze and Valintine One app.
shoe5163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:42 PM   #19
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe5163 View Post
You can haggle with them and get different levels of service, I get wifi and remote start with diagnostics for about $21 a month. Perfect for Android Auto Waze and Valintine One app.
Have you ever looked to see just how little data apps like Waze actually use? NOT using navigation apps when they were starting to catch on was based on expecting them to blow through a lot of data. They use very small amounts overall.

I work from home, so my data use is primarily on WiFi as compared to cellular. In any given billing cycle, I think I use at most about 2G of cellular data and I use Waze just about every time I drive somewhere - especially over the last 4-5 months while we were trekking all over to look at houses. In four months, I have used a total of 532MB of data with Waze. That's an average of about 135MB per billing cycle.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:20 PM   #20
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Call your insurance company to see if you get a discount if you have Onstar. I know State Farm does I get $190 a year discount if I don’t get Onstar I give the $190 to State Farm. I may as well have it , it was good when I went to work in the middle of the night.
I had to call the state police a few times on it and actually they come faster if you use Onstar instead of your cell phone. Probably because you got somebody else on the line.
Good for in case you get in a crash to.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:18 AM   #21
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
This is not accurate.

Not trying to be confrontational but I am 100% positive that in fact your info regardless of enrollment is absolutely mined by GM AND I am also aware of the fact that info is transmitted between GM vehicles when in proximity of each other. In another post just tonight I wrote:

Another forum member I met on here at a Camaro rally of sorts worked for a defense and aerospace company. Part of that company's description in laymen terms was to keep bad people from acquiring data from sensitive systems regarding our countries defense. What I learned from him is that ALL of our cars without our knowledge communicate with each when in a given proximity. So yes, when you are sitting at a light and another Camaro, Tahoe, Cadillac pullls up next you information is transferred between cars and at some point that info is mined back to GM. How they do it, or what they do with it was privy info he could not relay. My understanding was said content served engineering R&D purposes that have no personal identifying info. Given his credentials and working for a government contracted company I have no reason to believe this is false info.

Regarding what GM smart driver sends to insurance companies I can't comment on. All I know is when I do infrequently check it my score is always poor and my rates have only gone down over the years.

Cheers

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:25 AM   #22
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe5163 View Post
May I suggest JBV1 to pair with your V1g2? The Valentine one is quite inferior and doesn't utilize any sort of crowd sourced plugin to help magnify the benefits of using a RD. It also alerts you to air pattern enforcement, multiple bogies, reduces false BSM's, offers a RLC database that is continually updated along with other goodies.

JBV1 is commonly referred to as a countermeasure app. You can learn more by googling antilaser and RD forum.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Old 06-22-2023, 01:33 AM   #23
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
Does it tell you when you brake too early or blow an apex?
No but my Garmin catalyst does. It connects via bluetooth real time to the earpiece and microphone I have in my helmet. I can voice actuate the coaching as well.

I've heard AIM solo 2 is superior to the catalyst when it comes to data acquisition information. However the coaching and feedback the catalyst gives after analyzing and learning your track behaviors is helpful for the learning track rat. The accompanying app is really where the catalyst shines.

Proper corner entry, late apex, proper corner exit, traction maximization and brake modulation are relayed. Of course you can always watch the video with a data overlay. I prefer race render as it can be exported onto any platform.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Old 06-22-2023, 04:49 AM   #24
truckrglenn

Drives: Chevy camaro
The app used to be for the life of your ownership of the car.
Old 06-22-2023, 07:36 AM   #25
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
Not trying to be confrontational but I am 100% positive that in fact your info regardless of enrollment is absolutely mined by GM AND I am also aware of the fact that info is transmitted between GM vehicles when in proximity of each other. In another post just tonight I wrote:

Another forum member I met on here at a Camaro rally of sorts worked for a defense and aerospace company. Part of that company's description in laymen terms was to keep bad people from acquiring data from sensitive systems regarding our countries defense. What I learned from him is that ALL of our cars without our knowledge communicate with each when in a given proximity. So yes, when you are sitting at a light and another Camaro, Tahoe, Cadillac pullls up next you information is transferred between cars and at some point that info is mined back to GM. How they do it, or what they do with it was privy info he could not relay. My understanding was said content served engineering R&D purposes that have no personal identifying info. Given his credentials and working for a government contracted company I have no reason to believe this is false info.

Regarding what GM smart driver sends to insurance companies I can't comment on. All I know is when I do infrequently check it my score is always poor and my rates have only gone down over the years.

Cheers
You're blending different things together here, though.

First, GM does not directly "sell" Smart Drive information to insurance companies. If you were to secure auto insurance through GM, however, you can bet your life that the data will come into play.

There is a distinct difference between anonymized data (which companies can never truly, fully anonymize but they mostly obscure it well enough that third parties can't use it) and allowing GM to pointedly collect personalized data for some "purpose" that is supposed to bring you value. When you allow the collecting of personalized data, you are giving GM full permission to collect, store, use, and potentially directly SELL your data (even if they don't do it currently). The most prominent issue is what will make its way to companies like LexisNexis, and insurance companies DO query them for data on their insureds. Even in this situation, where GM is not necessarily SELLING the data to the insurance company, it could be making its way there.

Data=$$$, just not for the end user its being collected from.
Old 06-22-2023, 07:38 AM   #26
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckrglenn View Post
The app used to be for the life of your ownership of the car.
The MyChevy app didn't even exist until 2010. Services through the app were never for the life of the vehicle.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:12 AM   #27
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Someone let out the bots early today

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 11:57 AM   #28
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote: