#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-09-2018, 05:27 AM   #15
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
The a10 is amazing.....but it’s still a tq converter auto. The upshifts at WOT are incredibly fast and snappy, but downshifts and part throttle shifts are not as crisp/instantaneous as a PDK or similar dual clutch.

Took mine on a spirited 7/10ths mountain run a couple weeks back and was kinda irked that the trans just doesn’t perform as aggressively as it does when driving 9/10+.

That being said it’s BY FAR the most bad ass auto ever created. But it still falls shy of DCT performance IMO.

A-10 never disappoints.

A-10 features six clutches actuated by integrated solenoid valves rather than the typical fluid pump and valve body. A10 is crazy responsive, quick shifts – shifts 26 to 36 percent quicker than a Porsche dual-clutch through fourth gear.

Another result is that the torque converter is only really called upon at launch, according to Car and Driver. Otherwise, the driveshaft and transmission are locked, improving efficiency.

Last edited by hashtag; 09-09-2018 at 06:06 AM.
hashtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #16
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged680 View Post
Just confuses me how many traction control levels GM has and what they do individually.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #17
RedHot18

Drives: 2018 ZL1
A10 is awesome whether road or track. I DD mine in sport mode, transmission in drive. I track mine in Track mode / race and transmission in drive. Car is super fun on a race track and is able to run easily with or is faster than the porsche guys, eats mustangs and Vettes.
RedHot18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #18
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot18 View Post
A10 is awesome whether road or track. I DD mine in sport mode, transmission in drive. I track mine in Track mode / race and transmission in drive. Car is super fun on a race track and is able to run easily with or is faster than the porsche guys, eats mustangs and Vettes.
Except the equal Porsches and Corvettes which in turn will eat it. Often it's a case of driver and willingness to push the car to its limits on track days too. You cannot judge the speed of a car from an owner racing an owner in MOST circumstances — not all, just most.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #19
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
A-10 never disappoints.

A-10 features six clutches actuated by integrated solenoid valves rather than the typical fluid pump and valve body. A10 is crazy responsive, quick shifts – shifts 26 to 36 percent quicker than a Porsche dual-clutch through fourth gear.

Another result is that the torque converter is only really called upon at launch, according to Car and Driver. Otherwise, the driveshaft and transmission are locked, improving efficiency.
Quick up shifts yeah, however quick down shifts and reaction time from the time you click the paddle to the same the change happens is where conventional auto trannies can not match a DCT.

A DCT will always be faster down shifting because it is already in the lower gear via the second clutch.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #20
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Quick up shifts yeah, however quick down shifts and reaction time from the time you click the paddle to the same the change happens is where conventional auto trannies can not match a DCT.

A DCT will always be faster down shifting because it is already in the lower gear via the second clutch.
Correct. The shift times and shifter/paddle response are two totally different aspects.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #21
shaftwhy

Drives: ZL1 Finally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I tracked a brand new GT3 in July and was blown away by the trans. If you're leaving both in Automatic, I think the A10 will easily go head to head with it, the A10 shifts themselves are faster (however slight) and from what I can remember, the A10 is more aggressive with downshifts. The PDK when I was tracking it in auto would like to settle down and you'd really have to put your foot down to 80%+ throttle before it would get back into aggressive shifting. While with the A10, tapping the throttle IMMEDIATELY wakes it up, downshifts aggressively and it holds gears, the more you push the car, the more aggressive it gets. For backroads and track use, it's great.

Now, for manual shifting, it's NOT EVEN CLOSE. The PDK is the benchmark for transmissions for a reason. It can drive in auto like a great torque converter automatic. But it can paddle shift with the best of them/or better too. Paddle response is instantaneous. The shifts are quick, smooth and exhilarating. The A10 is much better than the A8 in the Z06 when it comes to manual paddle shifts, but it's still not in the realm of a great DCT like the PDK.

All in all, I probably would take a GT3 over a ZL1 in about every circumstance except pure HP and ease of modification. The precision, 9000 RPM sound, and the handling, really just appeal to me. If I was more of a Porsche guy, I'd be buying one right now. Unfortunately for my wallet, my favorite supercars are McLarens and Ferraris so I'm keeping an eye out for one of those...
Did the slower manual shifting from A10 induce oversteer if you have to do it mid-turn with WOT?
shaftwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #22
shaftwhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
I have a 2017 A10 from a 997 GT3 Owner's perspective
Raced both. The A10 works really well in Auto mode and I find that mode best for racing.

I do drive the ZL1 around town in track mode and manually shift. It is fine for that and I find it enjoyable but shifts are not quite as fast and seamless as in auto mode. I find the rev matching not always getting the shift perfect with an occasional decel or slight accel. Not much but enough to upset the car if I was at 10/10ths. Still, I find the shifts acceptable for street driving and think the A10 is amazing. The instant downshift (as mentioned above) is really great.

Now the cars are completely different. You feel the mass of the ZL1, but it dances quite well. The ZL1 is definitely faster in pretty much every measurable way from my old 997. You get much more torque to play with. It handles differently, and you have to manage tire slip a lot more to be fast. They are both great cars in their own right.
Does it mean at track manual upshifting mid-turn with WOT can induce oversteer due to longer power loss? So on track pretty much can only put in auto mode?
Old 09-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #23
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
I track my ZL1 A10 and I've spent a good amount of time in 997.2 and 991 GT3s on track, all with PDKs. The ZL1 A10 is very comparable to the PDK, the power band of the ZL1's LT4 more than makes up for any shift speed differences, the programming is absolutely on point for track work and most of the time you can just leave it in D.

For just about half the price, I think you'll find the cars are very close in most tracking situations. The primary difference of course, the 911 GT3 has a bit more grip on corner exit but the ZL1's eLSD sure does a great job getting a LOT of power down on corner exit.

My .02, you'll be happy, but to be honest the only car I'd want MORE than my ZL1 A10 and I've driven a lot of exotics on track, would be a 991 911 GT3 RS.
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #24
shaftwhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
I track my ZL1 A10 and I've spent a good amount of time in 997.2 and 991 GT3s on track, all with PDKs. The ZL1 A10 is very comparable to the PDK, the power band of the ZL1's LT4 more than makes up for any shift speed differences, the programming is absolutely on point for track work and most of the time you can just leave it in D.

For just about half the price, I think you'll find the cars are very close in most tracking situations. The primary difference of course, the 911 GT3 has a bit more grip on corner exit but the ZL1's eLSD sure does a great job getting a LOT of power down on corner exit.

My .02, you'll be happy, but to be honest the only car I'd want MORE than my ZL1 A10 and I've driven a lot of exotics on track, would be a 991 911 GT3 RS.
When you do shift A10 manually on track, any catch?
Old 09-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #25
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftwhy View Post
Did the slower manual shifting from A10 induce oversteer if you have to do it mid-turn with WOT?
No...The shift itself is pretty much as fast as when in D, it's just that it's delayed a significant amount of time from hitting the paddle compared to the PDK, however it's much faster than the A8 in the C7, SS Camaros, and the Hellcat A8 as well. So as long as you plan the downshift request a little sooner than you would with the PDK or similar DCT (We're talking fractions of a second) then it would be fine. In most circumstances though, I'd just leave it in D. Once you get the trans in the aggressive algorithms, which takes no time at all, it's really great. Watch the 7:29 'Ring lap.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #26
shaftwhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
No...The shift itself is pretty much as fast as when in D, it's just that it's delayed a significant amount of time from hitting the paddle compared to the PDK, however it's much faster than the A8 in the C7, SS Camaros, and the Hellcat A8 as well. So as long as you plan the downshift request a little sooner than you would with the PDK or similar DCT (We're talking fractions of a second) then it would be fine. In most circumstances though, I'd just leave it in D. Once you get the trans in the aggressive algorithms, which takes no time at all, it's really great. Watch the 7:29 'Ring lap.
I know, I just can't resist shifting manually, but other factors determine I need to get A10.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #27
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Compared to porsche it will look like hugeee car, but interior space, comparable.. minutes 40 buttons on console.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #28
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftwhy View Post
When you do shift A10 manually on track, any catch?
Just like a manual, don't let it bang into the rev limiter, it does a great job keeping the car balanced on down shift. I've found the car is faster in Drive than with me messing with the gears.

The car is in Drive here:

https://youtu.be/5II_SnTzUTU
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote