Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #29
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
This is not necessarily true. In an ideal system, yes the tank has to be higher than the highest point in the system. With in-car packaging, this is not always the case. Typically you run a very high flow pump (such as an emp) that flows so much water, that every time you start the car, it will pump so much water through the system and remove the air in the process.

If you are concerned with air in the system, you can add some ball valves (mechanical or electronic) and plum them in your system, so you can close them before draining, and reopen them after filling.
Or, you can design it right and not have to do any of that.

We fixed the design and I’ll post up some pics this weekend. It’s a little funky looking, but works mint. The only part that now shows above the trunk “floor” is the “tower” we added to the fill portion. It does a great job of scrubbing out any air due to the vertical rise and gives me a perfect idea of how much water to empty without draining the actual tank at all. And now the fill port is as high as the bricks. And with the injection tees we used, the tank stays ice cold with the tank pump off and the Whipple intercooler system working normally. I flip the switch, in a short amount of time the intercooler crossover is cold. The two pumps working in conjunction are pushing more water through the bricks too (visible through the still-installed clear plastic Whipple fill port).

Once I get the car home I’ll probably pull the tank and have our insulation subcontractor wrap it in chilled water insulation, then reinstall it.
Old 08-27-2022, 03:10 AM   #30
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Any attempt to drain down the tank results in the bricks draining out and filling with air…. This would be a nightmare to purge out every single time you tried to add ice.
Check this out...https://www.amazon.com/Beduan-10500-...503872776&th=1

Auto air bleed. Just put it at the highest point by the bricks.
Old 08-27-2022, 07:20 AM   #31
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Check this out...https://www.amazon.com/Beduan-10500-...503872776&th=1

Auto air bleed. Just put it at the highest point by the bricks.
Yeah that’s a standard air vent that was use all the time in hydronic heating systems or chilled water AC systems where you a have a pressurized make up water feeder always available. Have never tried one in a system that didn’t have that.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:41 AM   #32
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Yeah that’s a standard air vent that was use all the time in hydronic heating systems or chilled water AC systems where you a have a pressurized make up water feeder always available. Have never tried one in a system that didn’t have that.

The make up water line isn't always flowing water so that shouldn't affect it's operation. It should work if the pump is pushing water.
Old 08-28-2022, 05:40 PM   #33
Joshinator99

So here’s the rest of the install. Shop bent up some stainless tubing to get out of the wheel well and over into the intercooler line that feeds the blower. We let the car idle for a while to get the engine up to temp and heat soaked. We then shut down the car and dumped in one good sized bag of ice. Within a minute the line going to the blower was cold and after a couple of minutes the entire blower coolant crossover was very cold! Seems to work great. And the “tower” add on to the tank let’s it do a great job of quickly separating out any air. Most of the water sits in the lower portion of the trunk (after they relocated all the OEM modules that normally sit there to the left side of the trunk, no rewiring needed), and I can just drain the tower down enough to fit in a bag or two of ice. So far, so good. Looks a little funky, but it’s in the trunk anyway. Loading ice is super easy now too.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2022, 05:45 PM   #34
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
You didn't leave any room for golf clubs.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 06:20 PM   #35
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Old 08-28-2022, 07:51 PM   #36
Trochoidal

Quote:
So here’s the rest of the install. Shop bent up some stainless tubing to get out of the wheel well and over into the intercooler line that feeds the blower. We let the car idle for a while to get the engine up to temp and heat soaked. We then shut down the car and dumped in one good sized bag of ice. Within a minute the line going to the blower was cold and after a couple of minutes the entire blower coolant crossover was very cold! Seems to work great. And the “tower” add on to the tank let’s it do a great job of quickly separating out any air. Most of the water sits in the lower portion of the trunk (after they relocated all the OEM modules that normally sit there to the left side of the trunk, no rewiring needed), and I can just drain the tower down enough to fit in a bag or two of ice. So far, so good. Looks a little funky, but it’s in the trunk anyway. Loading ice is super easy now too.
The SS tubing gets my vote and just tell your non-car guy friends you added a sub in the trunk!

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:20 PM   #37
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
The SS tubing gets my vote and just tell your non-car guy friends you added a sub in the trunk!
A ice cooled sub thump… Haha.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:31 PM   #38
Joshinator99

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
Old 08-28-2022, 09:17 PM   #39
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post

Brings a new meaning to crisp bass!

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:47 AM   #40
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post

Quote:

Brings a new meaning to crisp bass!
I miss that a little in this car.

I like that SS line, too. They did a nice job, as always. It's too bad you had to go this route, but your guys look like they got you squared away! KUDOS!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:01 AM   #41
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Or, you can design it right and not have to do any of that.

We fixed the design and I’ll post up some pics this weekend. It’s a little funky looking, but works mint. The only part that now shows above the trunk “floor” is the “tower” we added to the fill portion. It does a great job of scrubbing out any air due to the vertical rise and gives me a perfect idea of how much water to empty without draining the actual tank at all. And now the fill port is as high as the bricks. And with the injection tees we used, the tank stays ice cold with the tank pump off and the Whipple intercooler system working normally. I flip the switch, in a short amount of time the intercooler crossover is cold. The two pumps working in conjunction are pushing more water through the bricks too (visible through the still-installed clear plastic Whipple fill port).

Once I get the car home I’ll probably pull the tank and have our insulation subcontractor wrap it in chilled water insulation, then reinstall it.
Not everyone wants a giant tank sitting in their trunk to make it unusable. I am sure the stealth factor of it was a big part of their design process.

Nonetheless, i don't think you would have had any issues with the appropriate pump (EMP or Pierburg equivilent). Your new solution is much more proper and should be quite a bit more effective with the extra water capacity though
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:12 AM   #42
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Which Whipple do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
Not everyone wants a giant tank sitting in their trunk to make it unusable.
Mine mounts under the hatch floor so I don't lose any trunk space [I never put anything back there anyway, but...]
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.

Last edited by JSH; 08-29-2022 at 08:36 AM.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote