Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
Jfinley7

Drives: 2016 1SS Hyper Blue.
LT4 Conversion vs. Maggie

Hi everybody, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject. I pretty much had my mind set on doing the Maggie but I've heard the LT4 conversion may be better suited for my needs and it's a lot cheaper. I don't track my car and I'm not looking at doing a lot of mods other than the supercharger and maybe a CAI and an axle-back exhaust. With that being said I don't really need the larger Maggie unit because I'll never use it to its full potential. I'm really looking at reliability and cooling because it is my daily driver. I live in Central Texas and we have some super hot summers. Also, the Maggie puts out 6 psi and I was told the LT4 supercharger package that I'm looking at puts out roughly 8psi. Does that extra 2psi of boost put a lot more stress on the engine internals? Any input on the subject is greatly appreciated.
Jfinley7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Drives: Maverick X3 Turbo R
Welcome to the forum!

I think after all of the development that GM has put into the LT-4 package, it should be your best choice. I understand the LT-1 is a little different with static compression ratio, heads & whatever else, but the LT-4 blower parts are proven and you likely won't run into any major snags being that a huge company like GM will stand behind their component's quality. Not to mention tuning should be easier and a little more straight forward.

If I put myself in your shoes, I would do what you feel is best for your goals, and both power adders appear to be a viable solution. At the end of the day, you'll have the magnuson guys drop in here and tell you what they like about their kit & so-on. I, personally am waiting for the huron speed turbo kit to release. I've always been more of a turbo guy. But boy do I remember the tire shredding, seat of the pants feel of a twin screw/positive displacement supercharger...

lt-4 conversion from adm = $6500 (+ - a few bucks depending on sales, etc)

pros: includes headers, supercharger weighs less, produces more tq at base cost vs heartbeat

cons: small blower, limited future upgrades

maggie heartbeat from multiple vendors = $7300-7600 (+ - a few bucks depending on sales, etc)

pros: larger blower for higher boost later on

cons: more expensive, not oem, last generation eaton rotor engineering

oh I almost forgot, I don't think the 2psi is going to make much more of a difference to your motor. Once you start getting near the 700+RWHP is when the motor could be on borrowed time.

good luck with making a choice, I know it's hard sometimes when your throwing out alotta cash. This is the way I look at it, I hope the rant makes some sorta sense to you.

#GETBOOSTEDBRUH
hitmix300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
Jfinley7

Thank you for taking the time to address all of my questions. It was very much appreciated! 👍 Anybody out there with personal experience with the Maggie or LT4 blower?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I thought the LT4 setup from ADM was 4995.00?
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:35 PM   #5
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmix300 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I think after all of the development that GM has put into the LT-4 package, it should be your best choice. I understand the LT-1 is a little different with static compression ratio, heads & whatever else, but the LT-4 blower parts are proven and you likely won't run into any major snags being that a huge company like GM will stand behind their component's quality. Not to mention tuning should be easier and a little more straight forward.

If I put myself in your shoes, I would do what you feel is best for your goals, and both power adders appear to be a viable solution. At the end of the day, you'll have the magnuson guys drop in here and tell you what they like about their kit & so-on. I, personally am waiting for the huron speed turbo kit to release. I've always been more of a turbo guy. But boy do I remember the tire shredding, seat of the pants feel of a twin screw/positive displacement supercharger...

lt-4 conversion from adm = $6500 (+ - a few bucks depending on sales, etc)

pros: includes headers, supercharger weighs less, produces more tq at base cost vs heartbeat

cons: small blower, limited future upgrades

maggie heartbeat from multiple vendors = $7300-7600 (+ - a few bucks depending on sales, etc)

pros: larger blower for higher boost later on

cons: more expensive, not oem, last generation eaton rotor engineering

oh I almost forgot, I don't think the 2psi is going to make much more of a difference to your motor. Once you start getting near the 700+RWHP is when the motor could be on borrowed time.

good luck with making a choice, I know it's hard sometimes when your throwing out alotta cash. This is the way I look at it, I hope the rant makes some sorta sense to you.

#GETBOOSTEDBRUH

should be a sticky... note on the LT4 you put headers in with the price.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:35 AM   #6
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Drives: Maverick X3 Turbo R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I thought the LT4 setup from ADM was 4995.00?
my bad i didnt realize they had different stages.

https://lsa-conversion-store.myshopi...ger-kit-625-hp

it appears you are close. it shows 5300$ which is a pretty darn good deal.
hitmix300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:30 AM   #7
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Good Data - LT4 Supercharger

- TVS 1740 High output roots supercharger
- Weighs 23 pounds less than the LS9 2300
- TVS1740 Front-Inlet Front-Drive rotors, utilizes the same Eaton technology as the Corvette ZR1 LS9
- Provides cooler discharge temperatures than comparable twin-screw systems due to design
- Advanced high-flow inlet forward design
- The heat exchanger has 15 fins per centimeter—that’s 50 percent higher density than on the LS9. So even though it’s 24 percent smaller, the intercooler rejects 10 percent more heat than the LS9. dual-pass charge-air-coolers utilize with less restriction than LS9 2300.On a typical 68-degree day, the discharge air from the supercharger can reach 248 degrees. By the time it passes the heat exchanger, those charge air temps are down to less than 120 degrees.
- Designed to minimize noise Better air-handling characteristics than comparable superchargers
- More power in a smaller package
- Internal Bypass Valve virtually eliminates parasitic loss (uses less than 1/3 of a horsepower at 60 mph)
- Delivers a proven increase in real world "under the curve" power
- High thermal efficiency
- Redesigned inlet and outlet ports specific to LT1/LT4
- Utilizes all factory "push-lock" connectors
- Displacement on demand hardware retained for improved fuel economy
- Components have been independently tested to GM’s specification
- Only requires an oil change every 80,000-120,000 miles
- 1-year/12,000 mile warranty supercharger
- Standard 1-year Limited Warranty on electronics -
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:31 AM   #8
ADM PERFORMANCE

More

https://www.google.com/search?q=lt4+...w=1684&bih=789
Old 09-28-2017, 05:34 AM   #9
ADM PERFORMANCE

LT4 Installed

Here is a LT4 we recently delivered-

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502934
Old 09-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #10
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmix300 View Post
my bad i didnt realize they had different stages.

https://lsa-conversion-store.myshopi...ger-kit-625-hp

it appears you are close. it shows 5300$ which is a pretty darn good deal.
5300.00 Is with rotofab I believe. 4995.00 is with stock CAI.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503776

Last edited by KingLT1; 09-28-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
Jfinley7

All great comments and info guys it's much appreciate. However, the question still remains why is one better than the other? Also, the Maggie is designed for a stock LT1 application where the LT4 is designed for the LT4 which has better engine internals to handle the boost. The Maggie is putting out 6 psi where as the LT4 is pushing over 8psi. How will my LT1 handle that kind of power when it wasn't really designed for it?
Old 09-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #12
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfinley7 View Post
All great comments and info guys it's much appreciate. However, the question still remains why is one better than the other? Also, the Maggie is designed for a stock LT1 application where the LT4 is designed for the LT4 which has better engine internals to handle the boost. The Maggie is putting out 6 psi where as the LT4 is pushing over 8psi. How will my LT1 handle that kind of power when it wasn't really designed for it?
The LT4 blower is a smaller displacement I believe, therefore to move as much air as the Maggie it has to run at higher boost.

I could be wrong - I'm a turbo guy and that's how it works with those - but I would imagine that's the reason. So, it's going to end up being about the same in terms of stress on the drivetrain.

My personal choice would be to go with whichever I could get the best deal on. If I wanted to be more "future proof" on power goals, I'd go for turbos instead.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #13
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Oh, and one other consideration - are you paying to have it installed, or doing a self install? One may be easier to install than the other. That could result in more of a headache for you or more money paid for somebody elses' time.

I don't feel I could install a PD blower myself - at least not without some help. So that means more money. I'm fairly confident I could install a ProCharger, and maybe a turbo kit, though, so that extra cost doesn't need to be factored in.

Just some thoughts.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #14
KingLT1

Quote:
The LT1 internals are plenty strong for boost. And the increased compression means that we dont have to spin the LT4 blower as hard to make the same power as a LT4 engine. The Maggie is no better then the LT4 unless you plan on going north of 700whp. @ 750whp then you really need to consider piston upgrades. The factory crank, rods, and block are being pushed upwards of 1000whp. So it all comes down to power goals. If you plan on keeping the power around 550- 650whp, not one blower on the market is better then the other. If you want to be able to grow, then the Whipple 2.9 or Procharger F1 will support 850+.

Prochargers and ECS centri superchargers are probably easier to install. The one thing I dont like about procharger is where the air filter resides. You have to remove the assemble to access the oil fill. ECS is similar but cog driven and the filter does not block oil fil.

PD blowers should not be that much harder to install and the least obtrusive in the engine bay. Pulling the intake manifold is nothing on these engines because the entire fuel system resides under the intake.

Some have had issues with surge tank cracking on the early whipples. Not sure if that has been addressed. There have also been a few pump failures on maggies. Hard to beat factory parts for reliabilty.

Turbo- the most obtrusive system on these cars. Atleast the hellion. The engine bay gets pretty cramped with the twin setup. Not sure why you would even need twins on a LT1 with all the low end tq. I woyld think a big single would be better but I am no turbo guy. Turbo does make the most power per lb of boost then any other type of forced induction.

Hope this helps.