Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #15
Jfinley7

Drives: 2016 1SS Hyper Blue.
I will be taking it somewhere to get it installed. I'll either take it to ADM or have my local performance shop do it. I'm leaning towards the ADM route since they put this kit together and they definitely know what they are doing.
Jfinley7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #16
1968ss350

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS 350
My friend is facing the same decision you are right now! I really like how that LT4 blower package comes together from ADM. My friend is looking at that one. I have a Maggie and like the extra COOLING included with the huge heat exchanger and the larger intercoolers. As others have said I'm sure you cannot go wrong either way! I've heard these zL1 LT4 blowers have improved cooling over the Z06. I think a different lid or something like that?? I'm not an expert on these things. I'm sure the lack of airflow through the engine compartment on the vette has something to do with it getting so hot!!

Hyper Blue 2SS/6 speed, NPP, MRC, Nav, 5LQ 6 piston brakes, Black split spoke, Magnuson 2300 Heartbeat Supercharger, Flowtie upper grill
1968ss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #17
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
I’m in the same boat as the OP. I’m trying to decide between the two. Except I live in the communist republic of California so CARB and passing smog is a big consideration. Plus paying for shipping the car to Texas and back is going to make the costs nearly break even compared to the Maggie installed.

I really want ADM to do the install as they seem to be the experts with this conversion but if something does go wrong I’m al the way in California. I’d have to rely on shops here that may not be as familiar with this set up to try and troubleshoot.

I’m leaning toward Maggie but deep down I really want the LT4 blower. Oh decisions.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #18
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The ADM kit comes with the Corvette lid and intercoolers. The ZL1 is a 700.00 upcharge. It is not required on the LT1 because the blower is not spinning as hard to make the same power. LT4 = 10.1 compression, LT1 = 11:5.1 compression which equals the same power with less boost to a certain point. More then likely when you run out of fuel system. The LT4 can handle more power overall but that is moot for most. Not everybody is looking to go 800-1000whp. Both engines are very capable mills from the factory.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #19
1968ss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
I’m in the same boat as the OP. I’m trying to decide between the two. Except I live in the communist republic of California so CARB and passing smog is a big consideration. Plus paying for shipping the car to Texas and back is going to make the costs nearly break even compared to the Maggie installed.

I really want ADM to do the install as they seem to be the experts with this conversion but if something does go wrong I’m al the way in California. I’d have to rely on shops here that may not be as familiar with this set up to try and troubleshoot.

I’m leaning toward Maggie but deep down I really want the LT4 blower. Oh decisions.

Your car may not pass smog with the Maggie either unless you use their tune. I tried two of their tunes! Neither worked for my car! Car would have the throttle opening and closing under WOT. I had my car tuned at Accelerated Racing Solutions in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. They leaned it out slightly and fixed the issue with the throttle body. You should see the dyno graph of the Maggie tune. Looks like a roller coaster from the throttle opening and closing. On ARS's Mustang Dyno my car made 487 RWHP and 450 ftlbs with Maggie tune. Now the car is driveable at WOT and made 508 RWHP and 491 ftlbs. This is a conservative tune and a conservative dyno. He says a stock M6 SS on his dyno makes around 380 RWHP. I'm sure it'll still pass smog and I have the Maggie CARB sticker

Hyper Blue 2SS/6 speed, NPP, MRC, Nav, 5LQ 6 piston brakes, Black split spoke, Magnuson 2300 Heartbeat Supercharger, Flowtie upper grill
Old 09-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #20
Jfinley7

Well I just got off the phone with my local shop and he is very confident that he can do the LT4 blower install. He has done several Maggie installs and from what I've been told the LT4 conversion isn't much different. I would think that the LT4 install may be even better since it is all OEM parts which will all go together perfectly. I'm still kinda on the fence though because I was all set to buy the Maggie because of all the good things I've heard about it and it's cooling abilities. I just heard about the LT4 conversion kit about a week ago and know I'm stumped. Hopefully someone that has done the LT4 kit will chime in. 👍
Old 09-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #21
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968ss350 View Post
Your car may not pass smog with the Maggie either unless you use their tune. I tried two of their tunes! Neither worked for my car! Car would have the throttle opening and closing under WOT. I had my car tuned at Accelerated Racing Solutions in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. They leaned it out slightly and fixed the issue with the throttle body. You should see the dyno graph of the Maggie tune. Looks like a roller coaster from the throttle opening and closing. On ARS's Mustang Dyno my car made 487 RWHP and 450 ftlbs with Maggie tune. Now the car is driveable at WOT and made 508 RWHP and 491 ftlbs. This is a conservative tune and a conservative dyno. He says a stock M6 SS on his dyno makes around 380 RWHP. I'm sure it'll still pass smog and I have the Maggie CARB sticker
Well, thats not at all what I wanted to hear. I spoke with a local shop who said the stock Maggie tune was crap, but I didn't think it was that bad. I fully expected to get the advertised 550whp with he stock tune but that sounds a bit optimistic. Well, if I'm going to void the warranty and carb with a custom tune, might as well go LT4 and get around the same amount of WHP and more torque.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #22
1968ss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
Well, thats not at all what I wanted to hear. I spoke with a local shop who said the stock Maggie tune was crap, but I didn't think it was that bad. I fully expected to get the advertised 550whp with he stock tune but that sounds a bit optimistic. Well, if I'm going to void the warranty and carb with a custom tune, might as well go LT4 and get around the same amount of WHP and more torque.
Don't get me wrong... other than the tune, the Maggie is AWESOME I couldn't speak any higher of it and I'd recommend it! Unfortunately the tune is not good for high speed pulls.... can't really drive it as it's meant to be driven

Old 09-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #23
Jfinley7

Magnuson is very conservative with their tunes. That's one reason they give a good warranty with it. You could definitely squeeze some extra hp out of it if you were to get a custom dyno tune but not everybody wants to do that because once you go that route the warranty is voided. Plus in my case I'm not trying to squeeze every bit of hp I can get and run a super hot tune. This is my daily driver so I want to be conservative. I'm looking for drivability, reliability and longevity. If I do the LT4 blower I will definitely run a mild tune.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #24
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfinley7 View Post
Magnuson is very conservative with their tunes. That's one reason they give a good warranty with it. You could definitely squeeze some extra hp out of it if you were to get a custom dyno tune but not everybody wants to do that because once you go that route the warranty is voided. Plus in my case I'm not trying to squeeze every bit of hp I can get and run a super hot tune. This is my daily driver so I want to be conservative. I'm looking for drivability, reliability and longevity. If I do the LT4 blower I will definitely run a mild tune.
You say that now, but once the boost bug bites you'll be looking at pulley upgrades, etc in no time!

Is there any significant weight difference/mpg loss between the Maggie and the LT4 blower? That might be another consideration.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #25
Jfinley7

I've heard that the LT4 is better on gas because since it is a smaller blower than the Maggie it takes less to turn it and it flows the air more efficiently.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #26
Jfinley7

I just read that some zo6 owners and others with the LT4 are having heat soak issues. They said it's because the LT4 blower is so small and having to turn a lot faster which in return creates more heat. Anybody have any info on this?
Old 09-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #27
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Did you not read what I posted? The Vette LT4 is lower compression and they spin the blower at higher rpm to make the power. The harder you spin the blower the more heat it makes. The ZL1 blower hat was changed along with a couple other things to keep heat soak down. Again the LT1 does not need as much boost to make the same power as a stock LT4 because of the increased compression. Therefore you can make some pretty good power with the LT4 blower and not have heat soak issues. You also can pay a upcharge for the ZL1 hat if it makes you feel better.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #28
Jfinley7

Hey KingLT1 I'm sorry man I must have overlooked your post. I appreciate the info and explanation. Do you think the LT4 kit cools just as good or better than the Maggie kit?