Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #29
1968ss350

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS 350
Like I said I work at a dealership... not a GM dealership, a Toyota dealership. We have a state of the art shop with pretty much everything imaginable. It took me about 2.5 hours to remove valve cover... find the collapsed lifter, remove the Maggie and cylinder head. It took me about 6 hours to put it all back together including the new lifter oil manifold. These motors only have 10 head bolts. I'm used to small block chevys with 17 bolts. These are stretch bolts and are one time use. So I replaced the head bolts, head gaskets, fuel pump gasket, and exhaust manifold gasket...

Hyper Blue 2SS/6 speed, NPP, MRC, Nav, 5LQ 6 piston brakes, Black split spoke, Magnuson 2300 Heartbeat Supercharger, Flowtie upper grill
1968ss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #30
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
With regards to original question, how worried about losing warranty...?

not at all until something breaks

But really, I had to realize and be prepared to bear the cost of repairs. If just owning the Camaro is causing you financial stress, I'd say stay away from any performance mods, (except maybe exhaust) until warranty is gone (6 year 60K on powertrain?).
Old 07-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #31
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
With regards to original question, how worried about losing warranty...?

not at all until something breaks

But really, I had to realize and be prepared to bear the cost of repairs. If just owning the Camaro is causing you financial stress, I'd say stay away from any performance mods, (except maybe exhaust) until warranty is gone (6 year 60K on powertrain?).
Exactly. Then it becomes a poopy party.
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #32
WeatherGuy

Drives: 2017 2SS
Worries about losing a warranty? Modding cars is like an addiction - I probably have the same worries about losing a warranty as a heroin addict worries about health effects when shooting up the latest fix ...
Old 07-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #33
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherGuy View Post
Worries about losing a warranty? Modding cars is like an addiction - I probably have the same worries about losing a warranty as a heroin addict worries about health effects when shooting up the latest fix ...
I think you are onto something here. I could have bought a new Mclaren with what I have spent on my Camaros in the last 4 years.... 4th motor in the 2013 and now the 2nd motor in the 2016.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #34
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I think you are onto something here. I could have bought a new Mclaren with what I have spent on my Camaros in the last 4 years.... 4th motor in the 2013 and now the 2nd motor in the 2016.
But then you'd need money to mod the Mclaren too, as it wouldn't be fast enough...

www.toohighpsi.com

2015 Corvette Z06 M7
2021 Porsche GT4 M6
2023 Corvette Z51
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:06 AM   #35
WeatherGuy

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toohighpsi View Post
But then you'd need money to mod the Mclaren too, as it wouldn't be fast enough...
I have been down this road before when I used to make more money, it doesn't stop.

The scary thing is that I was trying to be funny when I posted that modding cars is like an addiction, but it is actually true. Crazy fast = brain rush = need for speed = more mods = more $ = crazy faster = brain rush = ...
Old 07-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #36
80sMetalDude

Drives: .
Look at my Whipple build thread for one of the crappier experiences lol I'm on 3 months of one thing after another going wrong in my build some self inflicted others just plain crap luck. Still hoping to even drive mine this summer....
80sMetalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #37
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toohighpsi View Post
Actually, I specifically used the McLaren as an example because they are not very mod friendly. Now Underground racing is doing some crazy stuff with Lambos....... Yeah, my name is Jess and I'm a speed addict....

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #38
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968ss350 View Post
Like I said I work at a dealership... not a GM dealership, a Toyota dealership. We have a state of the art shop with pretty much everything imaginable. It took me about 2.5 hours to remove valve cover... find the collapsed lifter, remove the Maggie and cylinder head. It took me about 6 hours to put it all back together including the new lifter oil manifold. These motors only have 10 head bolts. I'm used to small block chevys with 17 bolts. These are stretch bolts and are one time use. So I replaced the head bolts, head gaskets, fuel pump gasket, and exhaust manifold gasket...
With what you've seen with these Hyd. Rollers would you feel better swapping the Hyd Roller system with a traditional stainless steel full solid roller valve train(w/rev kit)?

Btw, was the failed Hyd Lifter a Melling?
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #39
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968ss350 View Post
Fyi, here's what some have been doing to beef-up and improve the LS7 Hyd Rollers while staying within NHRA Class rules;
http://samtech.edu/stock-eliminator-ls7/
Although the excellent factory GM valvetrain is a tough act to follow, SAM Tech recognized some areas for improvement. “The CTS-VR lifters are some of the most incredible lifters I have ever seen, but GM sets the plunger travel in the middle like a street car. For our COPO motor, we took a set of factory LS7 lifters and shimmed them up so they only have .012-inch of plunger travel,” explains Judson. “That enables them to function more like a solid roller lifter. They probably don’t make too much of a difference at 7,800 rpm, but they’re definitely an improvement above 8,000 rpm. The stock LS7 rocker arms are incredibly lightweight and rigid, but because of how we modified the lifters, we needed a set of adjustable rockers. To account for the change in plunger travel and to cut down on flex, we installed a set of steel T&D rockers.”
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #40
ChrisCoffey

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Actually, I specifically used the McLaren as an example because they are not very mod friendly. Now Underground racing is doing some crazy stuff with Lambos....... Yeah, my name is Jess and I'm a speed addict....
Hi Jess, my name is Chris. I am a virgin in the world of modding for S/C and turbos. Can you or anyone in here give me an idea what it is like going from a stock camaro SS to one pushing 800 hp+? I am just trying to prepare myself for the AA meetings(AdrenalineAddicts). No one judge me !