Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #57
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I think you're right: at the track in a straight line, with people who know what they're doing, under ideal circumstances, the difference between the two platforms is negligible, with the Camaro having maybe a slight edge, at least according to Car and Driver and MotorTrend.

But on the street, under less than ideal circumstances, the Camaro makes it much easier to put its power down effectively. Maybe it's the rubber Chevy provides stock, maybe the gearing, weight distribution, I don't know, but it's pretty easy to wring everything it has out of it, at least in a straight line.

When it comes to handling, I don't don't think there is any real dispute. The Camaro SS wins that easily, and the 1LE.....no n/a 392 is keeping up with a 1LE through the twisties.
As mentioned previously, I owned a 2016 Mustang GT and I found it easier to launch because it had no lowend torque. I think it’s simply a factor of most people don’t know how to drive a vehicle to its max potential.

With my earlier comment, I was referencing specifically a straight line situation. With curves, it’s no contest. The Scat Pack is the only true throwback intermediate muscle car out there. It handles well for its size but it’ll never handle as well as even a non-1LE SS or LT1.
seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #58
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
My LT1 may go on the chopping block this weekend.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:29 PM   #59
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethruya View Post
I owned a 2016 Mustang GT for 5 years. Bought it brand new for $27,300. Sold it 5 years and 90,000 miles later for $18,700. The only issues I had were a starter that died and A/C condenser that needed replacement.

After I swapped over to the 2018+ GT IM, larger injectors and tune for E85, the car moved. It was probably a tad faster than my stock LT1 over the 1/4 mile. Just as you mentioned, the Mustang is all top end. Most gutless 1st gear for a car with that much power but once you’re in 3rd, it flies. It was a great car but I was ready for something new.

When the LT1 first came out, I regularly saw models right at $30k, even a few here and there under $30k after incentives and discounts but it’s been a completely different story since the pandemic started. Nearly no GM incentives, dealers aren’t willing to deal at all plus all the LT1’s being ordered are heavily optioned. If you look around, a lot of the LT1’s have an over $40k asking price. Which is territory I thought the 1SS was suppose to cover.

I noticed that with GM too.

GM has crappy promos. When I was shopping last Sept Ford had better promos going on for the Mustang GT. I nearly looked at a base model 2020 new Mustang GT as the rebates and 0 percent APR were much better than what chevy was offering. In general the last few years Chevy has crappy incentives.

They need to sell Camaros yet they do little to push them. It's like they just want it do die a slow death.

As you pointed out the Mustang is much cheaper. There is also a better supply typically too.

The funny thing is my 2012 GT with the automatic and 3:18 gears "felt" faster than my SS off the line even though obviously the SS is faster overall. The butt dyno in the GT seems faster even though it's not. I guess these new Camaros are so smooth riding. My Mustang rode more like an older car. Felt all the bumps in the road but the butt dyno you felt more.

I can be going 90 on the highway and it feels like you're going 75.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #60
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
I think both of these are stock....
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #61
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
I had 2 Camaros with the V6- an auto and a manual. A guy I work with had a 392 and he would go around me like I was standing still- and absolutely smoke me off the line, both from a stop. Owning and driving (2) V6 Camaros, I would think the 5.7 would smoke it as well. The V6 are great drivers cars, just lack torque down low and do not take off very fast from a start. The V6 manual is better with limited slip.

I have a C6 Corvette now and it is so much faster than the Camaros were off the line- despite on paper the Vette does 0-60 in a hefty 4.5, Camaros 5.1. It feels like a lot more gap, the Vette much quicker.
I had a 5th Gen V6 6 spd. Nice car. It punched pretty good in first and second but not much beyond 3 rd gear. It pulled but could feel the Tq was not there. I think it was only 278Lbs Tq. So punching in 3rd and beyond would be a moderate climb to the top speed of about 145. The higher the speed the slower the climb.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:21 PM   #62
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
The newer Mustangs run similar track numbers. HOWEVER, generally the SS, LT1 still has a slight edge.

0-60 the Camaro general runs 3.9 seconds and low end 4.2 seconds, usually about 4 seconds. The Mustang general runs 4 seconds to 4.5 and the auto is faster.

BUT the Mustang GT is no slouch. The car has less low end torque, BUT when it catches up it catches up in a hurry. Might be slightly slower 0-60 but it catches right up there with the SS.

On youtube it shows this too. Most races the SS early on is the faster car but then the GT catches up in a hurry eventually.

You can't go wrong with a 2015 and newer Mustang GT or 2016 and newer Camaro SS. Both are quick cars, under 4.5 second 0-60 cars.

Credit to the Mustang as you can find affordable used options, generally used Mustang GTs can be found quite a bit cheaper than a Camaro SS.

If you're on a budget you can easily find a 2016 Mustang GT used for under 28k around here. Higher miles one I've seen for under 25k.

Throw in a CAI and a nice tune on a Mustang GT and it runs right up there with the SS.

This is why I try and not bash Mustangs. I owned a 2012 GT. great car, quick and never had any issues. Easy to mod to make faster.

This is my main gripe with Chevy. They should have made a more affordable LT1 type Camaro. I've seen base model Mustang GTs, 2021 new going for 35k with an automatic tranny. I never see a new LT1 for 35k and an auto around here. Currently they're all 41k or above. Chevy would have a big market share if they had a more affordable Camaro V8. the 1 and 2SS have a bigger price point. For similar performance numbers one can buy a cheaper Mustang. Even a GT premium can usually be had for cheaper as well.
The Mustangs have dual over head cams and 4 valves per cylinder so they breath a lot better than the SS's Pushrod engine. That setup setup allows the Mustang to have a higher RPM redlining well over 75000 RPM. The drawback is those engines are physically huge with a high center of gravity that affects handling, they also have a lot more parts making them more difficult and expensive to work on.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #63
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
The funny thing is my 2012 GT with the automatic and 3:18 gears "felt" faster than my SS off the line even though obviously the SS is faster overall. The butt dyno in the GT seems faster even though it's not. I guess these new Camaros are so smooth riding.
I can tell you exactly why and it’s because the 2011-2014 Mustang GT’s did not have independent rear suspension. It made the car feel even faster. The 2015+ GT which has IRS felt slow in comparison even though it would be a toss-up between the two in a race.
seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:01 PM   #64
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethruya View Post
I can tell you exactly why and it’s because the 2011-2014 Mustang GT’s did not have independent rear suspension. It made the car feel even faster. The 2015+ GT which has IRS felt slow in comparison even though it would be a toss-up between the two in a race.

Yep.

The 2015 newer Mustang is faster than 11-14. a 2015 newer unless it's a bad driver has the 2012 GT beat.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote