Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 05-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
Drysideshooter

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
6.2 dealer oil?

I am curious. For the free oil changes, isn't the current GM spec for the dealer to use full synthetic for the 6.2, or is the synthetic blend still okay as well?
Drysideshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drysideshooter View Post
I am curious. For the free oil changes, isn't the current GM spec for the dealer to use full synthetic for the 6.2, or is the synthetic blend still okay as well?
Dexos 5-30.

You will not get Mobil-1 unless you ask for it, on newer Camaros.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
I heard it was now full synthetic as well. I would just stop by or call and ask.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
Drysideshooter

I asked because I took my car to the dealership for it's first oil change since it's free. I'm not even going to bother with the 2nd free oil change and will switch over to Amsoil in another 2k miles or so. I have a set of the 67" Race Ramps and the dealership won't see my car again except for warranty work. They put in a semi-synthetic. Of course they only put in 6 quarts, which I caught right away. The bewildered "tech" said "I thought all Camaro's took 6 quarts".

I'm the CEO of a decent sized company. I get the profit motivation, and the right to make a fair profit. It seems like many dealerships are hiring under qualified folks for their oil change operations though. If they want to do that why don't they at least give them a little training, or have a chart showing how much oil each vehicle takes? The bewildered service manager I talked with said their policy is to always verify the oil level on the dipstick. Obviously that didn't happen. Right on the receipt I was given it says 6 quarts of oil. Pretty pathetic.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
I took mine in at 400 miles to the Dealer for the free oil change. They said, the oil doesn't need to be changed until like 7500 miles or something like that. Anyways, they were cool about it, I brought my own 2 5 quart Valvoline Synthetic jugs (Valvoline in all my Chevys).
What I really wanted, was the service tech to show places to jack the car up and place it on stands and a hoist. They were really cool about that and spent an hour with me showing and explaining on this and multiple service related things. That was way more valuable than a free oil change.
I am very particular about my Chevrolets and this was some great info.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
With 10 quarts of oil any Dexos1 oil is fine. With that much oil it's hardly getting stressed.

I'm doing my first oil change at 1500 and 2nd 5k after that but likely will switch to Dexos 2 oil before then for the track
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
Drysideshooter

I'm the CEO of a decent sized company, and we operate a fleet of vehicles. We keep close track of maintenance costs and regularly have oil analysis done. I'm a big believer in getting the assembly lube and initial wear particles out of the oil system relatively early on. When you look at the oil analysis for a first oil change the amount of assembly lube and wear particles not trapped by the factory filter can be surprising. Going until 7,500 miles, or when the oil life message says it's time may be fine, but there are those of us that believe it's better to do it sooner, at least with the first change or two.

I'm also a big believer in Amsoil synthetic oil and their line of filters. I have first hand experience with oil analysis comparisons between their products and others and some of the results have been pretty shocking. As long as you go with the recommended oil spec for any vehicle and stick with factory specified change intervals you will be fine. I tend to believe that a bit better product/better protection is probably a good thing though. Our fleet vehicles have no emotional component. It's entirely operational costs. I've seen a difference using a bit better oils and filters. Good oil analysis can tell you quite a bit, and I suggest to anyone that getting it done every other oil change or so will tell you quite a bit about how your maintenance regime is working.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drysideshooter View Post
The dealers use Mobil 1 5w30

Here is the work order... you can see the oil part number

http://paceperformance.com/i-6142294...l-1-quart.html
Attached Images

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
Drysideshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
The dealers use Mobil 1 5w30

Here is the work order... you can see the oil part number

http://paceperformance.com/i-6142294...l-1-quart.html
You can't really say "dealers use", only that's what was used by the dealer that provided that invoice.

My invoice lists oil 19352900, which is a GM synthetic blend oil. Since they under filled my car by 4 quarts I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they were supposed to use the Mobil 1 though. Another 1,500 miles or so I will be replacing it with Amsoil 5w-30 anyway.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #10
Lerch98

There is NO Doubt that Amsoil Products are Excellent Lubrication Products. I would buy a car from a guy that uses Amsoil any day. An Amsoil guy is a guy that appreciates taking care of automobiles and are regularly and thoroughly maintained.

I really like the idea of the oil analysis. When I check the oil I use the old drop test on a paper towel taught by Grandpa years ago, But this just is an evaluation of contaminates and particulates in the oil (As my understanding).

Where do you/ how do you get your oil analyzed? Is this something that a regular Dude can get?

In addition I cut all my oil filters open and look inside.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
http://m.blackstone-labs.com
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #12
Drysideshooter

I have used Blackstone for many years for aircraft and automobile oil analysis. I have started using the Amsoil oil analysis as well and really like it too.

I am a big Amsoil believer, and it's been oil analysis direct comparisons that has really sold me. I'm pretty anal about maintenance and every vehicle, down to the smallest dirt bike, has it's own three ring binder with maintenance records. At first with Amsoil I was figuring I would use their superior oil but still change at OEM recommended intervals. Then oil analysis on some of my diesel rigs with the Amsoil oil bypass filtration system installed starting opening my eyes to getting more miles between oil changes.

To be honest, for performance type motors, whether aircraft, motorcycles or trucks or auto's, I still change the Amsoil more often than what the analysis says I could do. Same for trucks that are working hard, like towing large loads. Probably not necessary, but I feel better being a bit more conservative. I am going to use the Amsoil Signature 5w-30 and an Ea 15k50 Amsoil filter for the Camaro. It should easily go 15k miles, but I'll probably go half that and send a sample in for analysis. The Camaro is in the toy fleet and doesn't get driven a lot, so it may end up being once a year instead of mileage.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #13
Lerch98

Thanks for the tip on BlackStone Labs.

Also, my Camaro is not driven a lot (not as much as I would like)

looking forward, I'm planing on an oil change every 4000 or once a year what ever comes first.

I keep a spiral notebook in every car (or truck), and record all service performed, the mileage and date.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #14
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
So, I've seen 2 oil part numbers in this thread. When I had my oil changed last month I specifically requested synthetic and the service advisor confirmed. The oil part number on the invoice is 88865638. Anyone know what this is? I've searched but all I get is "GM oil".
Thanks.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote