Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-03-2021, 11:18 AM   #1
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Different type tires front & back?

Hello all,

I need to replace my rear PS4S tires as one of them has a leak which can't be fixed but there's enough wear on the tires I have that I'd worry about over-stressing the differential if I only replace one with a brand new tire.

I've been thinking for a while about what a waste the 4S is for me and my driving style and that my next set should be a performance all season - I've had my eye on the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. However, I really hate the waste of the good rear 4S (I could get another year out of them, more if this lockdown stuff kept going), so ditching the front 4S tires which are perfectly fine to have the same tire type all around doesn't sit well with me.

Would there be any major cause for concern replacing just the rear tires with A/S 3+ but retaining the front 4S tires until they wear down normally (or have their own encounter with debris from eastern PA's crummy roads)?

The only negative effect I can think of is less grip than expected in the rear, but I've been driving on 235 wide Blizzaks at all four corners in winter, so I can handle less traction - and eventually in a year or two when the fronts wear down, I can get rid of the Blizzaks and seasonal tire changes entirely.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
dont do it
Old 03-03-2021, 11:44 AM   #3
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
Hello all,

I need to replace my rear PS4S tires as one of them has a leak which can't be fixed but there's enough wear on the tires I have that I'd worry about over-stressing the differential if I only replace one with a brand new tire.

I've been thinking for a while about what a waste the 4S is for me and my driving style and that my next set should be a performance all season - I've had my eye on the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. However, I really hate the waste of the good rear 4S (I could get another year out of them, more if this lockdown stuff kept going), so ditching the front 4S tires which are perfectly fine to have the same tire type all around doesn't sit well with me.

Would there be any major cause for concern replacing just the rear tires with A/S 3+ but retaining the front 4S tires until they wear down normally (or have their own encounter with debris from eastern PA's crummy roads)?

The only negative effect I can think of is less grip than expected in the rear, but I've been driving on 235 wide Blizzaks at all four corners in winter, so I can handle less traction - and eventually in a year or two when the fronts wear down, I can get rid of the Blizzaks and seasonal tire changes entirely.
you'll be fine with different front to rear tires, nothing to worry about.