Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_Gregory View Post
One thing that has always bugged me is after building the car online they will try to locate a model near you. However, most of what is shown isn't the same model/version you're looking for. For instance, if you want a white ZL1 10-speed, they will show you a yellow 1SS 6-speed.
I think here at Camaro6 we call it Shock.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #16
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_Gregory View Post
One thing that has always bugged me is after building the car online they will try to locate a model near you. However, most of what is shown isn't the same model/version you're looking for. For instance, if you want a white ZL1 10-speed, they will show you a yellow 1SS 6-speed.
Yep, I hear you.

I use the Search Camaro Inventory Near Me, go to the site, and plug in the options. It works a lot better.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #17
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Welp, I just visited the Porsche and Ford builder(for Cayman and Mustang, respectively). Not much better than Chevy's, though Porsche has a trick that allows you to see the car in augmented reality with an app. The build site itself is still good old static images as far as I can tell.

Genesis is actually the exception, not the norm. Realize that they are going off a different sales model compared to a lot of other brands, in that they are relying heavily on online sales. So of course they are gonna have a better build site than competitors, because it's much more important for them than other brands.

https://canada.autonews.com/article/...alership-model

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #18
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Never even knew the picture changes. I just need the option list and how much the damn thing costs. I am trying to find a deal on a new pick up but they are slim pickings off dealer lots right now.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:45 AM   #19
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Some car companies treat the internet as a necessity and just another part of the business. Others use the internet as their main tool to show off all the combinations and nuances of their cars, trying their hardest to impress a potential customer.

Guess which category GM falls into.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #20
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Some car companies treat the internet as a necessity and just another part of the business. Others use the internet as their main tool to show off all the combinations and nuances of their cars, trying their hardest to impress a potential customer.
Quote:

GM treats the internet same way Sears did.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:28 AM   #21
LT4

Drives: all sold, getting another soon..
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Welp, I just visited the Porsche and Ford builder(for Cayman and Mustang, respectively). Not much better than Chevy's, though Porsche has a trick that allows you to see the car in augmented reality with an app. The build site itself is still good old static images as far as I can tell.

Genesis is actually the exception, not the norm. Realize that they are going off a different sales model compared to a lot of other brands, in that they are relying heavily on online sales. So of course they are gonna have a better build site than competitors, because it's much more important for them than other brands.

https://canada.autonews.com/article/...alership-model

Yeah, makes sense. Also the fact that Chevy has an near-infinite number of combinations where the Genesis 3D model has much fewer option mixes to deal with. If Chevy had a 3D model with instant updating of options, it would take five mins to load in the browser.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:58 PM   #22
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:

Again, I don't see a lot of other competitors doing better.

And it probably goes back to the politics with dealers again(which I know you hate). All this online stuff means dealers are not needed anymore and you can bet the dealers will want this to progress as slowly as possible. Tesla and Genesis both have to fight the system, for the record.

Basically GM is counting on the dealer to impress the customer while Genesis is using the website. To each of their own, some people prefer the in-person shopping experience while others like you would love to just see the car online, maybe test drive one and just skip the dealer, but again, it's an uphill battle for brands to skip a dealer system. Personally, I don't think the Genesis 3D model is that good, which makes sense as it has to run on all kinds of devices. It's not like modern video game graphics that can fool you into thinking it's the real thing, so I think the traditional pics are fine and I would likely check out the real thing if I want to have an idea.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:04 AM   #23
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
So I did a build on a 2021 Tahoe the other day and sent myself the link. I then sent the link to a local dealer and asked what the price of it would be as we'd get a Costco discount and GM Supplier discount... etc.. Dealer told me that there are too many other options when doing a build and wanted me to come down to go through the build with them. I sent them exactly what I built??
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:11 AM   #24
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Again, I don't see a lot of other competitors doing better.

And it probably goes back to the politics with dealers again(which I know you hate). All this online stuff means dealers are not needed anymore and you can bet the dealers will want this to progress as slowly as possible. Tesla and Genesis both have to fight the system, for the record.

Basically GM is counting on the dealer to impress the customer while Genesis is using the website. To each of their own, some people prefer the in-person shopping experience while others like you would love to just see the car online, maybe test drive one and just skip the dealer, but again, it's an uphill battle for brands to skip a dealer system. Personally, I don't think the Genesis 3D model is that good, which makes sense as it has to run on all kinds of devices. It's not like modern video game graphics that can fool you into thinking it's the real thing, so I think the traditional pics are fine and I would likely check out the real thing if I want to have an idea.

Sent from toaster or something
Well times have indeed changed. Few people today actually shop for cars like they did 30 years ago. Most people do in fact most if not all of their research online before even walking into a dealer to begin with. It's only a matter of time before the demand is such that auto manufacturers will have to adapt to full on-line configuring and purchasing or risk losing business.

I already know people who don't remember a time before the internet who don't understand why you have to go to a dealer and talk to anyone to buy a car when they can buy a 60" TV and have it delivered to their doorstep with three clicks on a computer mouse.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #25
jamala00

Quote:
Well times have indeed changed. Few people today actually shop for cars like they did 30 years ago. Most people do in fact most if not all of their research online before even walking into a dealer to begin with. It's only a matter of time before the demand is such that auto manufacturers will have to adapt to full on-line configuring and purchasing or risk losing business.

I already know people who don't remember a time before the internet who don't understand why you have to go to a dealer and talk to anyone to buy a car when they can buy a 60" TV and have it delivered to their doorstep with three clicks on a computer mouse.
I never understood why you can buy a Tesla right from Tesla, but you can't buy a Chevy right from GM. The internet has take almost all the haggling out of the car purchase these days though.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #26
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I never understood why you can buy a Tesla right from Tesla, but you can't buy a Chevy right from GM. The internet has take almost all the haggling out of the car purchase these days though.
Elon Musk created the Tesla sales model from the ground up with all the stores (dealers) and distribution network under the full management and operation of the company. So the people you actually interact with at Tesla stores including the mechanics, are all employed by Tesla and paid by Tesla.

It’s been a bit of a battle due to each state having their own franchise laws that basically say you can’t sell a car if it’s not through a third party dealer. But Tesla has challenged and obviously won, since they’re all over the country now.

Also, each state has a sort of union of new car dealers. Tesla is not a member and it rubs them all the wrong way.

I’m not a fan of electric cars myself but seriously, go Tesla and go Elon Musk. He’s turning the automobile sales format on its head, which it’s needed to be done years ago.

Getting the established brands to go the Tesla route may be impossible now. It would require an entire uprooting of the basic operations and logistics of the car companies. But, they may need to do it eventually if they want to survive in the future.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #27
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Elon Musk created the Tesla sales model from the ground up with all the stores (dealers) and distribution network under the full management and operation of the company. So the people you actually interact with at Tesla stores including the mechanics, are all employed by Tesla and paid by Tesla.

It’s been a bit of a battle due to each state having their own franchise laws that basically say you can’t sell a car if it’s not through a third party dealer. But Tesla has challenged and obviously won, since they’re all over the country now.

Also, each state has a sort of union of new car dealers. Tesla is not a member and it rubs them all the wrong way.

I’m not a fan of electric cars myself but seriously, go Tesla and go Elon Musk. He’s turning the automobile sales format on its head, which it’s needed to be done years ago.

Getting the established brands to go the Tesla route may be impossible now. It would require an entire uprooting of the basic operations and logistics of the car companies. But, they may need to do it eventually if they want to survive in the future.
I agree but for me the lack of dealers prevented me from buying a Tesla.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #28
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
I agree but for me the lack of dealers prevented me from buying a Tesla.
EV's are not for me, but IF they were Tesla would be out of the running for this exact reason. To my knowledge there isn't even one Telsa dealer in WI. I was looking at a Triumph for a 2nd bike and same thing. No dealer network, if the one closest me to shuts down, then what? Aside from work you can do yourself or finding an Indy... but warranty work?? You're screwed.