Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #29
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyellow1 View Post
- Shocked at the squished part of the exhaust before the NPP suitcase, interesting engineering, but reading tells me its crush zones for if you're rear-ended
The kinked exhaust always bothered me, too. Crush zones for an accident? I doubt it, it's probably for low end response, but costs some power up top (seems to be the way GM tunes these cars, they aren't after ultimate numbers)

Exhaust (and intake) looks the same as my old '16 SS, which also surprised me

Congrats on the new ride
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #30
ssyellow1

Drives: Mustang
Yes sir, that would be all I do aside from a handful of cosmetic items. Pretty sure the car already has a skip-shift eliminator, so looks like I'll be returning that purchase.

Will do on the signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Congrats!! Great looking ZL1.

After some seat time I learned to take off with no bog. The Solar ported throttle body and controller helps. And I’ve read that it can be tuned out also (although my car isn’t tuned due to warranty and emissions concerns).
Thanks!

Yeah I'll certainly put some more miles on it and see how it turns out, just feels weird when letting out the clutch. I'll look into the ported throttle body route and see if that's feasible without tuning.
ssyellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:51 AM   #31
ssyellow1

ZX - Yeah I looked around on here and people attributed it to crash reasonings, who knows.

Exhaust sounds great under load, but just driving around it could use a little more volume. We will see, taking it out for the second drive shortly.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:18 AM   #32
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Tests have been done on the crimped section of the exhaust and it doesn’t affect hp ratings at all. I don’t like it either but it is what it is and I’m not spending extra money on upgrading the exhaust anyway. Supposedly they designed that part of the exhaust to fit the convertibles too because of the extra bracing the coupes don’t have which would make sense to save costs of having to design another system for the Verts.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:30 AM   #33
ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Tests have been done on the crimped section of the exhaust and it doesn’t affect hp ratings at all.
Changing the exhaust produces nice gains on these cars, granted that typically includes headers
Old 05-31-2020, 08:33 PM   #34
ssyellow1

If you pull the NPP fuse, is that essentially max volume for the exhaust all the time?

Feels like when you get on it the car really wakes up, almost like there's still some valve action going on.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:36 PM   #35
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyellow1 View Post
If you pull the NPP fuse, is that essentially max volume for the exhaust all the time?

Feels like when you get on it the car really wakes up, almost like there's still some valve action going on.
Yes, even in track mode it still closes off a little bit sometimes. Pull the fuse and it’s open all the way, all the time.

The baffles are spring loaded to the full open position and the npp system electronically closes them to the programmed position.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #36
ssyellow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Yes, even in track mode it still closes off a little bit sometimes. Pull the fuse and it’s open all the way, all the time.

The baffles are spring loaded to the full open position and the npp system electronically closes them to the programmed position.
Perfect, thanks for the detailed explanation.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:02 PM   #37
ZX-10R

Is there a difference in baffle position between sport and track (wide open throttle)?
Old 06-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #38
ssyellow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Is there a difference in baffle position between sport and track (wide open throttle)?
Quite new here still, obviously, but from my understanding its a difference of how often the valves open. Throttle position, speed, etc.

Very well could be wrong, but I think that's what I remember reading.