Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #15
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
That diagnostic code doesn't have anything to do with the AFM actuators in the exhaust. That is for the AFM system within the engine itself.
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #16
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Thanks Tim. SO this is instead of fixing it with a tune? Or is this something that HP Tuners and the like doesn't address?
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #17
EFI Tuning

There are two parts to the picture. The first part is the engine management side. The ECM directly controls what is going on inside the engine as it pertains to AFM. The CCM controls the AFM and NPP valves. Because the CCM controls these entities we do not have a way to tune out the codes related to on them. If the CCM doesn't see what it is expecting to regarding the valves it will set the CEL. If you disconnect them you will definitely set a CEL. If you keep them plugged in but tie them out of the way you may set a CEL at some point.

The EFI Tuning module addresses the CCM side of the picture. The module replaces the valve actuator and keeps the CCM happy. The version currently sold on our website requires that AFM be disabled all together in the ECM. Anyone using a non-AFM camshaft or wanting to go to a non-AFM aftermarket exhaust system will fall into this category. The next version I'm completing the layout on today will allow you to keep AFM active in the ECM but not need an AFM compliant exhaust system. This use case was requested by some of the C7 guys. I prototyped it early on so it is just a simple PCB and firmware change to accommodate.

Please let me know if I've managed to confuse anyone Depending on which exhaust supplier you look at you may save yourself a considerable amount of money going with this solution.

Thank you,
Tim
Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #18
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Thanks again. BTW I used to live in Garner/Clayton while working with Kurt Urban Performance.
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #19
Brianw36
SNSTRSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Will this module keep the AFM valves open when AFM is active under a stock NPP exhaust? Or is this just designed to keep the ccm happy when a non AFM exhaust is installed?
Brianw36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #20
EFI Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianw36 View Post
Will this module keep the AFM valves open when AFM is active under a stock NPP exhaust? Or is this just designed to keep the ccm happy when a non AFM exhaust is installed?
It is designed to just keep the CCM happy when the AFM actuators are not present.

Tim
Old 11-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #21
EFI Tuning

I just sent the final revision out to the PCB fab. This revision will work for those people that have not turned AFM off in the ECM but would like to eliminate the actuators. The current version for sale on the website requires AFM to be turned off in the ECM. I'm estimating 3 weeks before they are available.

Tim
Old 11-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #22
Perdieu

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Grey Auto 2SS
Atta Boy Tim great job getting it figured out !!!!
Perdieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #23
EFI Tuning

The layout took me a bit longer than I anticipated. The MCU is physically larger, I had to add some circuitry for the added functionality, and I added in system programming to the board now that the MCU is in a surface mount package. Keeping all of that in the about the same physical size as the original was fun
Old 11-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #24
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
The layout took me a bit longer than I anticipated. The MCU is physically larger, I had to add some circuitry for the added functionality, and I added in system programming to the board now that the MCU is in a surface mount package. Keeping all of that in the about the same physical size as the original was fun
I went the route of getting an exhaust that deleted the valves and keep the actuators hooked up to a spring so they think they are still doing hat they should. If I would have waited or knew this was coming, I would have just gotten this.

Do you have pricing? Would love to review and provide details to more Camaro owners on YT if you would be willing to loan me a set to show off.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:34 AM   #25
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
AS someone who came from a 2008 Corvette where all you had to do was pull a fuse to keep the NPP exhaust open, I am confused on this project.

AFM, is that not the system in the engine that goes from V8 to V4 mode under certain throttle conditions? Is this what you are building the PCB for, to bypass the AFM mode without doing it thru a tuning method?
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #26
EFI Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
AS someone who came from a 2008 Corvette where all you had to do was pull a fuse to keep the NPP exhaust open, I am confused on this project.

AFM, is that not the system in the engine that goes from V8 to V4 mode under certain throttle conditions? Is this what you are building the PCB for, to bypass the AFM mode without doing it thru a tuning method?
No. I can't control whether AFM is active or not with this module. What this module does is it allows you to remove the AFM actuator from the car completely and not set a CEL. For some it will save them $$ when going to an aftermarket exhaust. For some C7 guys it will mean they don't have to worry about burning up AFM valves at the track anymore. They have been fighting these actuators for 2 years now. GM under estimated the thermals on these actuators. They aren't cheap to replace.

I have to head to a meeting but feel free to ask anything I haven't clarified.

Sledge,

$149.99 will be retail price. That includes 2 modules (left and right) (second revision). I'm selling the first revision units I have for $100. These are 100% fine for anyone that has disabled AFM in the ECM.

Tim

Tim
Old 11-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #27
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
This is a great piece Tim, We needed these a year ago when we tested the ARH stuff that deletes the valves.

I look forward to supporting your new company and adding your products to our long list of Camaro performance parts.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #28
EFI Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
This is a great piece Tim, We needed these a year ago when we tested the ARH stuff that deletes the valves.

I look forward to supporting your new company and adding your products to our long list of Camaro performance parts.
Ted thank you for the support! I will call you later today.

Tim