Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #15
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 1ss View Post
Did you have your car tuned after instal? If not are there any check engine lights and how does it run?
There are no codes set. You may see a pending DTC for low MAP/Baro if you don't disconnect the battery before unplugging the MAP sensor. The ECM apparently monitors this even when the car is off. I cleared it out and it hasn't shown up since.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #16
1badrwd

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss npp, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vad3r View Post
I'd like to order this but my technical skills ate pretty low when it comes to vehicles... do you know of any videos of the install? Hint hint Sledge
Haha, I don't know of any install videos. I've been modding/working on cars for 15yrs so I would say I'm a little more informed than some but with that said I would have felt comfortable doing the install with minimal skills with the instructions that are provided. They are step by step with pictures. Very informative. Basic tools and a torque wrench are all you need. Heck even if you had a buddy just double checking the steps in the instructions anyone could install it.
1badrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #17
Vad3r

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badrwd View Post
Haha, I don't know of any install videos. I've been modding/working on cars for 15yrs so I would say I'm a little more informed than some but with that said I would have felt comfortable doing the install with minimal skills with the instructions that are provided. They are step by step with pictures. Very informative. Basic tools and a torque wrench are all you need. Heck even if you had a buddy just double checking the steps in the instructions anyone could install it.
I might give it a shot. I do some gunsmithing so I've got the torque wrench... I'm a bit apprehensive about rerouting that line that goes over the manifold

1100: 08/06/15 <STJR2Q>
2000: 11/02/15
3000: 11/03/15 <TPW:11/30/15>
3800: 11/30/15 <VIN: 129008>
5000: 12/30/15
6000: 01/04/16
Vad3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #18
1badrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vad3r View Post
I might give it a shot. I do some gunsmithing so I've got the torque wrench... I'm a bit apprehensive about rerouting that line that goes over the manifold
You don't have to reroute any lines. You can for looks purposes but it's not required by any means. I didn't do it as I don't mind the way it looks. It would look a bit cleaner rerouted and tucked away so maybe someday I will but it's not very high on my list of things to do!
Old 03-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #19
TSloper

Yeah it would be for looks not function.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #20
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Great post, hopefully we could get something similar with the cold air intake and not just a video of someone calling people stupid with zero facts or experience
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #21
TSloper

The CAI tests would be a bit trickier to prove out if you really want to peel the onion back. The MAP reading would probably be the first piece of data I would look at. To take it to the next level you would need to build a histogram of the long term fuel trims vs MAF frequency while the stock unit is in place. Then you would need to swap intakes and over time build up another histogram. Once that histogram is done you would then have a clear picture of how much the MAF is now over/under reporting. After refitting the MAF curve you would then have a true apples to apples comparison on the dyno when it comes to the actual airflow benefits of the new intake.

Those CAIs that keep the same size MAF tube and do as much as possible to ensure smooth air flow over the sensor will have the least error. The Mishimoto intake has no choice but to lean out due to the increase in MAF tube diameter. Leaning out is not due to more airflow. If the MAF were reading accurately the ECM would meter the fuel correctly if the airflow increased.

It will be interesting to see which of the CAI options offers legitimate airflow gains on a close to stock engine.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #22
Nataphen

Drives: None
Would the stock engine cover fit with some slight modifications, or is it just too different?
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #23
1badrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
Would the stock engine cover fit with some slight modifications, or is it just too different?

I didn't try to put the silver cover back on so i don't know. I did however put the side covers on. Every picture I have seen has all the covers off. Personally i like the look with the side covers and wouldn't think about putting the silver cover back on and covering up the msd manifold.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #24
Nataphen

That does look much better. I personally just want it to look like the stock setup if possible. The MSD IM just isn't my thing as far as aesthetics.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #25
1badrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
That does look much better. I personally just want it to look like the stock setup if possible. The MSD IM just isn't my thing as far as aesthetics.

I'm guessing that if one wanted to spend the time trimming the stock cover they could make it work. Looking at the cover i don't see a reason you couldn't trim it enough to get it on there using a dremel tool.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #26
Nataphen

Thank you, sir. I'm waiting on a 1LE, so I have a lot of time before I even have to worry. I'm just getting everything all worked out in my mind. Haha!
Old 03-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #27
TSloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badrwd View Post
I didn't try to put the silver cover back on so i don't know. I did however put the side covers on. Every picture I have seen has all the covers off. Personally i like the look with the side covers and wouldn't think about putting the silver cover back on and covering up the msd manifold.
Did the posts line up underneath the covers? I didn't try on mine.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #28
08z51c6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - A8, MRC, NPP
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...il-covers.html

See the above thread for ideas on how to make the MSD manifold look better.

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
08z51c6 is offline   Reply With Quote