Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #1
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Wheel center caps

Hey all.

I had a fight with the dealership to get black wheels swapped onto my car but no luck. I ended up with gray painted 5 split spoke wheels. They do look good but more of a clean-cut/classed-up look. .. I'm going for sporty and I think black accents on my hyper blue is my cup of tea.

Alas, I'm getting my wheels powder coated semi-gloss black. The center caps obviously need to be changed. The guy at the powder coat/wheel shop told me I could pick up ceter caps for like $5/each. Sounded legit for a small piece or plastic. I went back to Chevy dealer and was quoted $35 ea..

No way. So I bought some painters tape, rattle can, and some fresh blades. Anyone else DIY with success ? I'm not sure how long this will last and I should probably hit them with a couple clear coats but I think it's a win. Worst case I trash them and get the stupid--expensive versions. I will likely pop them out for track days as I've had center caps deform and pop off before (although those were aftermarket wheels and maybe they were cheaper plastic?)

Here's a cap close up. I don't think this is something many people inspect close-up on the car so I was aiming for a 90% job. I think it'll work.

I'm sure this isn't a novel idea but my phone doesn't search the forum well and my laptop just got fried ...
Attached Images

evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Looks good, yeah a coupe coats of gloss clear is a good idea. Best clear in a rattle can I've used is from automotivetouchup.com.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:19 AM   #3
6LE Designs

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Honestly... that's pretty bad looking. Why not just have vinyl cut to them? That way it would be smooth (ie: without the paint marks it has now) and not have edges around the emblem like you see now...

If you paint again, next time shake the can a lot more and also make sure you are wiping the nozzle after every pass. Only way to get decent look out of a spray can.

Also I found Dupli-Color to have some of the best nozzles on their cans for a DIY project.

Finally, mask just the top part of the bowtie. Paint then clean up the edges of the bowtie with a box cutter/razor blade. Use it to cut the paint right around the bowtie base and then flick up and it will come off.
6LE Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:52 PM   #4
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6LE Designs View Post
Honestly... that's pretty bad looking. Why not just have vinyl cut to them?
Thanks for the honesty! I'm not a seasoned rattle can guy and my goal was to pass the 10' test. I don't think many people look at center caps close enough to notice the stuff you're pointing out (and I definitely noticed, too).I'm not so sure I could get vinyl to lay perfectly either.. but I haven't messed with vinyl much either.

Thanks for the tips! I'll probably try a little more with this but can always start the project over pretty easily or buy new caps... I just don't like the idea of spending $150 for replacement center caps.

Tha ms again for the constructive criticism!! Rattle canning 101!!
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote