Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #71
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
What are the specs of the stock cam? What about a more mild cam with a .600 lift or in that range?
The basic comp cams are .579 and you can get away with stage 1 or stage 2 conical springs. If this is a long term DD, I would look into that. Way less lift slightly less RPM, means it should last way longer, less stress, less spring pressure, less strange harmonics.

I'm on the fence as this is not really a DD and since I'm paranoid I'd probably change springs and trunion bearings every 30 to 40K or 5 to 6 years, along with c5R timing chain.

With the .579 cam and single conical spring 60 to 80k or 10 to 12 years for me.

Big difference for say 10 to 15 HP.

Yes Toyota has VVT, so does everyone else, Acura and Civic SI have VTEC, where the lift and duration change. The only cam in block VVT that can effect overlap is the new cam in a cam Viper FYI, and overlap is far more important than advance / retard of the whole phase in all aspects. Still can't beat VTEC, idle at 900 rpm and peak HP at 9200 RPM... like my Type R...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #72
AndOne707

Drives: 350
Old man
How about considering the stage 2 with heads ?
Haven't seen the work done on an OHC motor in a minute.
But to change lifters and all, doesn't the heads need to be removed.
If so, new heads for 2500 are quite the bargain IMHO.
Well worth it for a peace of mind on having the correct valve train
And additional head work do it.
AndOne707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #73
AndOne707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
You could do that in a none AFM car as well with a very mild cam. But the lifters have to be changed on a AFM car with just about any cam upgrade and to do that, the heads have to come off. I did a cam upgrade on my G8 GT which had AFM and with all the supporting parts need, labor and getting a CNC valve job done on the heads, it came to about 4 grand.
So labor around 1k I take for cam and head removal ?? 🤔
As far as lifters. More of a solid lifter vs. hydrolic or is the lifter for the
VVT is what controls the AFM ?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #74
Nataphen

Drives: None
VVT doesn't control AFM, the lifters do. VVT only advances and retards the cam timing. You have to change the lifters with any significant change in cam, even on a non-AFM motor. Even though the manual transmission LT1 Camaros don't have AFM, they still use the AFM lifters.
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #75
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndOne707 View Post
So labor around 1k I take for cam and head removal ?? 🤔
As far as lifters. More of a solid lifter vs. hydrolic or is the lifter for the
VVT is what controls the AFM ?
I'd do the work myself, that said, 1K seems fair to me. I don't know about the lifter, I have a M6 FWIW and I was looking at the trade-in for the heads. One weekend for me and one of the sons... First time is always the slowest. I'm willing to be a helper for anybody in Central Texas.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #76
AndOne707

Thank you for all the responses in this subject.
Trying to have a clear mod path in order not to do things
Twice.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #77
oldman

we all do, most vendors probably don't want to give all the details as the make a large part of their profit from the install. That said I'd check the Vette site as they have had the engine for a bit longer.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #78
AndOne707

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
we all do, most vendors probably don't want to give all the details as the make a large part of their profit from the install. That said I'd check the Vette site as they have had the engine for a bit longer.
Any recommended vette forums ?
Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #79
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Corvetteforum.com